Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#1961 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

With the arguing going on from the other side, it's obvious DirecTV is depending on getting that $10 per sub revenue back. But, hey...If you were under a contract for 2 years, the good news is that it is over and you can just cancel without fee should DirecTV choose not provide another discount.

Me? Well yes, the added $10 will in fact make/break me, so either a receiver gets chopped off and maybe a package downgrade. I have a monetary threshold for TV services.

The DirecTV website still defines Advanced Receiver Service-HD as:

And if you're an old customer, you can pay us. Oh well, I can be a "new" customer somewhere else.

New subs and existing subs pay the same for Directv. New subs possibly get discounts for the first year or whatever the offer is. The charges are still the same reguardless of the discounts. New subs and existing subs with hd will both see "advanced receiver hd" which is just another way of saying 'HD access" which is what is said prior to the February price increase.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1962 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Wonder where D gets the $10 figure from for HD? That would seem to be a boatload of $'s per month. I would assume that Dish makes up the $10 some way (fewer HD channels and/or more equip. rental, etc.). Don't know for sure, just wondering...

The point is, D* charges $10 per account with HD programming. They do not charge $10 per HD receiver. Comcast in my area charges $8 for HD. The difference being $8 per hd receiver on the account which quickly adds up.

#1963 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Just looked at my June bill and the $10 HD credit was there and I was one of the early ones to get this. Is this credit now permanent?

IIRC the promotion didnt' start until 6/11 so it would be July as the first bills that this credit no longer applies to.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1964 OFFLINE   jason williams

jason williams

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

IIRC the promotion didnt' start until 6/11 so it would be July as the first bills that this credit no longer applies to.

Directv bills you a month in advance so I think the credit has been renewed...Others are also reporting that it has been renewed

#1965 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Directv bills you a month in advance so I think the credit has been renewed...Others are also reporting that it has been renewed

I can state that there is no extension of this promotion and it doesn't exist anymore.

With that said the earliest sign up to my knowledge was the first week in June so let's just say 6/6/10. If you signed up on or after this date but your bill cycle is after the date you signed up the first credit would post the day it was added but was meant for the next bill. For example your bill date is 15th and you received the credit on the 6th. You would see a credit apply on the 6th for the first month and it was meant for July. 24 months later it will stop on that bill. So even the earliest adopters of this promotion should still see a credit until a bill after 6/6/10 (again not an exact date just my estimation). Then the credits will stop applyiing depending on when the promotion was signed up for. I would say the majority of early adopters had the credit supposed to be for the July bill which means they will see a credit through August.

As a side note just because the first credit posts on a specific date doesn't mean it posts the same time each month on that date.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1966 OFFLINE   MrBill64

MrBill64

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

Here is what I got yesterday when calling in to see if there were any deals on NFLST. After agreeing to getting $100 off NFLST the CSR said I qualified for 12 months of free HD. I have been on the 24 month free HD for existing customers promo and they gave me a 12 month extension without even asking. BTW, my original 24 month free HD doesn't expire until July. This is what showed up on my account after speaking with a CSR:

Advanced Receiver-HD - 12moFreeHDExist ($10.00) $0.00

I did get this through retention so ymmv with a regular csr. It's not free HD for life but it appears that if you call in you can at least extend the free HD for another year.

#1967 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

[quote name='TBoneit']You are missing my point or I'm not getting it across. A show or movie that is enjoyable in HD will still be enjoyable in SD. A show that is not interesting won't suddenly become interesting in HD.

speak for yourself

#1968 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

[quote name='MarkN'][quote name='TBoneit']You are missing my point or I'm not getting it across. A show or movie that is enjoyable in HD will still be enjoyable in SD. A show that is not interesting won't suddenly become interesting in HD.

speak for yourself[/QUOTE]

Agreed. A few weeks ago I was skimming thru the program guide and saw Aliens, then was bummed that it was not in HD. I didn't watch it.

#1969 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

[quote name='vthokies1996'][quote name='MarkN']

Agreed. A few weeks ago I was skimming thru the program guide and saw Aliens, then was bummed that it was not in HD. I didn't watch it.[/QUOTE]

I have to say it sounds to me as if you weren't really interested in watching it then.

Did you and MarkN also throw out your DVDs since they are not HD either?

I can tell you that within 2 minutes of starting a interesting movie I do not notice if it is SD or HD.

And just because it isn't widescreen does not make it SD.

The Hogans Heros that HD net was showing in 4:3 Ar never looked so good.

Likewise for Northern Exposure.

Anything shot on Film can be turned into HD since film generally provides a better picture than HD. It had to so it could be projected on those big screens in the movie Theater. It might be 4:3 AR but still High resolution.

And don't get me started on the Channels that take a widescreen and crop the sides to remove the black bars top & bottom.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#1970 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

My statement from today has the $10 credit removed. I got the credit 6/6/10 (I know the date because I emailed my father-in-law to notify him about the credit).

It merits a phone call to see what DirecTV can do for me.

#1971 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

My statement from today has the $10 credit removed. I got the credit 6/6/10 (I know the date because I emailed my father-in-law to notify him about the credit).

It merits a phone call to see what DirecTV can do for me.

Then hasn't it been 24 months? June 2010 - May 2012?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#1972 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Then hasn't it been 24 months? June 2010 - May 2012?

Absolutely. Still worth a shot to see if there's any offers. I don't usually jump on the discount train (except for my two DirecTiVos upgraded to HD-DVRs. I said "I really like your service, I'm not going to cancel, can you see what's available if I'd like to do a hardware replacement?") so the worst DirecTV can say is "no".

#1973 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

Got my statement today and HD Credit is gone.

#1974 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

[quote name='TBoneit'][quote name='vthokies1996']

I have to say it sounds to me as if you weren't really interested in watching it then.

as a matter of fact I did....

#1975 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Got my statement today and HD Credit is gone.

That is alarming to hear.

I've been reading a lot of good things about the Dish Hopper/Joey. A coworker got one last week and raves about watching shows without commercials. I am tempted to switch. No free HD would definitely push me over.

#1976 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

That is alarming to hear.

I've been reading a lot of good things about the Dish Hopper/Joey. A coworker got one last week and raves about watching shows without commercials. I am tempted to switch. No free HD would definitely push me over.

I'm fortunate as when I signed up, I got free HD for life as long as I stay on autopay and keep a certain level of sub going.

But for those that didn't get that, switching becomes a more viable option depending on how many spots you need equipment for. In my case, comparing at retail for 2 TVs, the difference is around $15/month less with Dish, without free hd, then the difference would be $25/month and that is certainly enough to make one do some thinking.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1977 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

My most recent statement has the credit gone, but then I just got this:

Hello Valued Customer,
Thank you for being a DIRECTV customer. In addition to having the very best in entertainment, you will be receiving the HD experience you know and love FREE FOR 2 YEARS!
JUST A REMINDER
To continue to receive FREE HD Access, you simply need to maintain the following on your DIRECTV account during the 24-month offer period:
1. Auto Bill Pay
2. CHOICE™ or OPTIMO MÁS and above package
3. At least one(1) HD Receiver and HD Access
Failure to maintain these requirements will result in the $10 per month FREE HD Access credit being removed from your account.

I will have to call and see if I can get the credit for June.

Steve

My Setup

#1978 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Just got an email with the subject: Your DIRECTV Free HD Confirmation

Here is a portion of the contents:

DirecTV.PNG

My bill is set to arrive next week so I will be sure to double check for it.
Dave

HR20-700 connected to Zenith Z50PV220 50" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA
HR20-700 Connected to Hitachi P42H401 42" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA

#1979 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

[quote name='TBoneit'][quote name='vthokies1996']

I can tell you that within 2 minutes of starting a interesting movie I do not notice if it is SD or HD.

And just because it isn't widescreen does not make it SD.

The Hogans Heros that HD net was showing in 4:3 Ar never looked so good.

Likewise for Northern Exposure.

Anything shot on Film can be turned into HD since film generally provides a better picture than HD. It had to so it could be projected on those big screens in the movie Theater. It might be 4:3 AR but still High resolution.

And don't get me started on the Channels that take a widescreen and crop the sides to remove the black bars top & bottom.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't really into watching anything so I found something equally as interesting that was in HD. Had Aliens been broadcast in HD I would have watched.

As far as DVDs go, I have converted some of my favorite movies from DVD to BluRay but still have many DVDs. The picture quality of a DVD when played on my BluRay player is far better than the picture quality of watching a movie in SD on the Reelz channel for example. Its not a fair comparison in my opinion.

I only watch SD unless there are no other options. If there is a specific show that I want to watch that is only on SD then I will watch it. But if I am channel surfing I will choose HD practically all the time.

#1980 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

[quote name='vthokies1996']
I wasn't really into watching anything so I found something equally as interesting that was in HD. Had Aliens been broadcast in HD I would have watched. [/QUOTE]

That makes more sense.

[QUOTE]
As far as DVDs go, I have converted some of my favorite movies from DVD to BluRay but still have many DVDs. The picture quality of a DVD when played on my BluRay player is far better than the picture quality of watching a movie in SD on the Reelz channel for example. Its not a fair comparison in my opinion. [/QUOTE]

BY convert do you mean buy the BluRay version? I'm asking that since a Normal NTSC DVD is 720 by 480 resolution. Any upsizing would require encoding and thus a hit in quality compared to playing the DVD in a BluRay player IMO.

Yes, DVD resolution and bitrate are going to be better that D* or E* SD channels. Having said that I find that on a good movie I don't really notice it after a minute or two.

[QUOTE]
I only watch SD unless there are no other options. If there is a specific show that I want to watch that is only on SD then I will watch it. But if I am channel surfing I will choose HD practically all the time.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense to me. If I have a choice I will of course watch the HD version. One caveat to that statement. If I have a choice of unbutchered, commercial free SD vs Butchered HD that has been edited for content, running time and commercials added then I'll take the SD.

[quote name='MarkN'][quote name='TBoneit'][quote name='vthokies1996']

as a matter of fact I did....[/QUOTE]

I wish you'd of thrown them my way :)

Edited by TBoneit, 08 June 2012 - 08:42 AM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...