Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

no more dish family?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chum76

chum76

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hello,

I was going to sign up with dish network, but tonight the dish family package was removed. Anyone have some info?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

You're right, it's nowhere to be easily found, if at all, on the Dish Network web site. A Google search turns up a couple of on line dealers still listing it, but also some dealers listing something more expensive. If I were you, I'd call Dish directly to see if it is still available and, if so, what channels are in it. Today Dish instituted a major change focused on "free" HD with the other packages.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:13 AM

Dish Family is no longer available for new customers but may be grandfathered for those already subscribing to the package.
Bring On More HD!

#4 OFFLINE   dbspr

dbspr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:51 AM

and what happend with the FCC law that requierement of a family package?

#5 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

FCC doesn't get to make laws, congress does...

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

In terms of pricing what Dish is advertising on its web site front page now is:

Posted Image

Assuming one is willing to sign up for 24 months, autopay, and ebill, that includes your locals, your receiver and "HD Free for Life" which seems like a pretty good deal. I know it's not the same package as the old family, but the listing seems pretty good for the money to me. And if you're feeling really spendy, for $6 a month you can have a Duo DVR that will feed one HD TV and a second SD TV.

At checkout, your order will look like this (taxes would vary by locality):

Posted Image

I'm not you, but to me that looks like a really, really good deal.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

What law?

DISH and DirecTV introduced their respective family packages in a competitive environment ... trying to offer a cheap package of "family friendly" channels to appease those who were pushing for a la carte offerings. There was some political pressure involved but no law was ever passed requiring the "family" packages.

Cable has a requirement for "lifeline" services which are usually locals and public access only. Perhaps you are confusing cable rules with satellite rules?

#8 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

DishFamily is now a Retention offer only. Peeps that already have it are grandfathered, but if they change, they cannot go back to it.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#9 OFFLINE   helpdeskdan

helpdeskdan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

For those of us on a tight budget, Dish Family was great. 25 bucks got you locals plus a bunch of others. Outside of new customer contract pricing, or bunny ears, where can you get a better price than that?

I suppose you could switch back & forth between Dish/Direct so you're never paying full price, but what a pain. I'll stick with Dish Family. If I upgraded, I'd actually loose a few of the channels I get now!

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I suppose you could switch back & forth between Dish/Direct so you're never paying full price, but what a pain.

Two year commitments and one year discounts ... you'll be paying full price at least half of the time. :)

#11 OFFLINE   chum76

chum76

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

For those of us on a tight budget, Dish Family was great. 25 bucks got you locals plus a bunch of others. Outside of new customer contract pricing, or bunny ears, where can you get a better price than that?

I suppose you could switch back & forth between Dish/Direct so you're never paying full price, but what a pain. I'll stick with Dish Family. If I upgraded, I'd actually loose a few of the channels I get now!

Thats why I wanted the package for the locals and hallmark, rfdtv, etc. I will stick with basic cable and see what happens.........maybe they will bring it back. :rolleyes:

#12 OFFLINE   helpdeskdan

helpdeskdan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Careful if you switch - I've considered the 120 plan, but there are 3 good channels I would loose because they aren't in that plan.

#13 OFFLINE   omarh

omarh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

Speaking of Dish Family, I luckily changed to that about a month or two ago in order to reduce my monthly bills.
I used to have Dish Turbo HD Silver...
the interesting thing is I still get my locals in HD....is that normal?
I don't think Dish Family normally comes with HD...but maybe because I still have the 622 Duo and HD capable dish, it just kinda comes for free now? lol

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,236 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

...I suppose you could switch back & forth between Dish/Direct so you're never paying full price, but what a pain. I'll stick with Dish Family. If I upgraded, I'd actually loose a few of the channels I get now!

Careful if you switch - I've considered the 120 plan, but there are 3 good channels I would loose because they aren't in that plan.

Welcome to DBSTalk :wave: Are you a Dish employee?

Also, just a friendly heads up, it's lose, not loose.

Edited by Nick, 19 July 2010 - 09:45 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   chum76

chum76

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

I was going to sign up for dish family, but they stopped it right before I could. My uncle works with a man who sells dish and he said to hold out they may bring it back when the current promo ends. He says this free HD for life promo isnt selling as expected so there is hope yet. :)

#16 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Speaking of Dish Family, I luckily changed to that about a month or two ago in order to reduce my monthly bills.
I don't think Dish Family normally comes with HD...but maybe because I still have the 622 Duo and HD capable dish, it just kinda comes for free now? lol

That's normal. I have Dish Family with a 622, and I get locals in HD as well as my Cinemax deal as well. :)

#17 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Yes, you have the Enabling tag for HD. Free and you get locals in HD. If you have Premium channels you get their HD feeds too.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#18 OFFLINE   cowboydan

cowboydan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

Anyone know what month/day DISH discontinued their Family Pack? Don't they normally fiddle with rates and packages in February?

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

They waited until June this year. February saw a change in receiver fees. June saw a change in some package rates.

The channel list for DISH Family is still on their charts (not advertised on their website but available on the program guide chart). And Charlie mentioned it in his chat a week later as if it were still available. Apparently he didn't get the memo.

#20 OFFLINE   omarh

omarh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

You were right. I noticed a "HD enabled" tag on my account.
Pretty cool.

Eventually I might sub to a larger package, but for now, the Family pack is perfect for my 3 little kids at home.

spam firewall