Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

no more dish family?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

I was going to sign up for dish family, but they stopped it right before I could. My uncle works with a man who sells dish and he said to hold out they may bring it back when the current promo ends. He says this free HD for life promo isnt selling as expected so there is hope yet. :)

Free HD isn't selling? What's not to like???

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BobS

BobS

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

They sure do. They're called regulations (administrative law) - not to be confused with statutory law (Congress/President), case law (courts) or the laws of physics (God as described by Newton and others) :)

FCC doesn't get to make laws, congress does...

#23 OFFLINE   helpdeskdan

helpdeskdan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

Are you a Dish employee?

Thx 4 the welcome, the correction and, to answer your question, "Not anymore."

:confused: Still scratching my head at the disappearance of Dish Family. I thought it was a great way to lure away those "basic cable" tightwads. (formerly myself, for instance) "For just a little more $, you get a whole lot more channels." Seemed like a good formula to me!

#24 OFFLINE   chum76

chum76

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

I was browsing on the directtv site and a live chat box popped up and the rep said their family pack is available on request and to call customer service, but dish will not budge. All they say is check back at a later time. :rolleyes:

Thx 4 the welcome, the correction and, to answer your question, "Not anymore."

:confused: Still scratching my head at the disappearance of Dish Family. I thought it was a great way to lure away those "basic cable" tightwads. (formerly myself, for instance) "For just a little more $, you get a whole lot more channels." Seemed like a good formula to me!

#25 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

What law?

DISH and DirecTV introduced their respective family packages in a competitive environment ... trying to offer a cheap package of "family friendly" channels to appease those who were pushing for a la carte offerings. There was some political pressure involved but no law was ever passed requiring the "family" packages.

Cable has a requirement for "lifeline" services which are usually locals and public access only. Perhaps you are confusing cable rules with satellite rules?

That's correct. There was never any law for this, but back in 2005-2007 one FCC chairman was pressuring for an a.) alacarte system. At that same time, there was b.) an unrelated indecency movement by other interests. The satellite companies and atleast one major cable company (Time Warner) rolled out "family" packages to address b.) and loosely a.), in that one would not need to pay for non family programming, even though it wasn't the same thing as alacarte. So that b.) killed a.)

I never found the family packages to be a great value in terms of channels/cost.

spam firewall