Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish callout failing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Can someone please check to see if they can call out to view your bill via the phone line. My fails at retrieving the info, but is able to call out OK.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Only works if you have a land line or perhaps Vonage. Are you using broadband?

#3 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Only works if you have a land line or perhaps Vonage. Are you using broadband?

Did you not read the part that I said "via phone line"?

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Vonage runs over broadband. The question is what kind of phone service do you have? "Plain old telephone service" or something special (such as digital phone service from a cable company or Vonage or MagicJack or Skype)?

#5 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Vonage runs over broadband. The question is what kind of phone service do you have? "Plain old telephone service" or something special (such as digital phone service from a cable company or Vonage or MagicJack or Skype)?

It is a plain old phone. I just wanted someone to check to see if they can view their statement via the "plain old phone line". I can connect but when I choose to view my statement the receiver just freezes. I have been able to do this for years.

I just wanted to see if it was my system or if it was a spread wide issue. Calling DISH and speaking with a CSR is not an option.

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

Let's not be quite so snippy especially since you didn't understand his response.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

Calling DISH and speaking with a CSR is not an option.

I feel compelled to ask... Why is calling Dish and speaking with a CSR not an option?

If you have it plugged into a standard phone line, and you have a traditional landline telephone service... then you might have a failing modem in the receiver. If so, you'd definitely have to call and talk to a CSR.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

I feel compelled to ask... Why is calling Dish and speaking with a CSR not an option?

If you have it plugged into a standard phone line, and you have a traditional landline telephone service... then you might have a failing modem in the receiver. If so, you'd definitely have to call and talk to a CSR.

If I have a failing modem then I would not be able to order PPV or receive caller ID. Since I can do both of those then obviously the problem is with DISH. All I was asking was for someone to test it out on their end to see if the problem is localized or wide spread. I thought asking this question here would be better than talking to a someone at DISH that speaks English as a eighth language in a third world country. It seems a simple question like the one I asked gets me the same result.

Plus with all the HD for life crap that is flooding the lines at DISH...I do not want to be on hold with DISH for 4 hours for a simple quick question

#9 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

If I have a failing modem then I would not be able to order PPV or receive caller ID. Since I can do that then obviously the problem is with DISH. All I was asking was for someone to test it out on their end to see if the problem is localized or wide spread. I thought asking this question here would be better than talking to a someone at DISH that speaks English as a eighth language in a third world country. It seems a simple question like the one I asked gets me the same result.

I'm guessing that the CSR's that work at the nine U.S. based call centers across the country might not find your statement that enduring. You are doing a great job of making friends and influencing people between this site and the other! :nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

It worked for me yesterday, looked at and paid my bill on my 622
This finger was not made to press 1 for english

#11 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

Ordering PPV is not an immediate call. If your receiver is failing to call, as far as I understand, it can queue up the PPV charges, are you getting billed for your PPV on previous bills? Which potentially means that you could get a bill shock if you watch PPV routinely and its not reporting your viewing.

Since you are obviously on the internet, you can always view your bills on Dish's website to check
Norm

#12 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

If I have a failing modem then I would not be able to order PPV or receive caller ID. ...

You continue to demonstrate that you don't understand how your receiver works and yet you make snide comments about those that could help you. Your modem has absolutely nothing to do with ordering PPV and I can only speculate that your modem being able to "see" and display Caller ID does not equate to being sure that other modem functions are working.

:rolleyes:

#13 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Can someone please check to see if they can call out to view your bill via the phone line. My fails at retrieving the info, but is able to call out OK.

Thanks

Was ok yesterday but today both of my 622s locked up before it would let me view my bill just a few min ago
This finger was not made to press 1 for english

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,554 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

There may be problems related to Dish restructuring the bills to add "HD for Life." You are tapping into a database. Certainly the online account access system has been on-again-off-again the last couple of days.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

DISH needs to make this work with a broadband connection as well as a phone line. Nothing should be "phone line only" on a receiver with an ethernet connection. I wonder how many upgrades they have lost because of the lack of instant order access?

They allow PPV ordering (although delayed billing) via the ethernet connection. It would take creating a live connection to get the customer service application working but it shouldn't be any harder than the live connection they have for DISHOnline download ordering. At some point it should be cheaper to maintain an internet server than a phone bank.

#16 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

You continue to demonstrate that you don't understand how your receiver works and yet you make snide comments about those that could help you. Your modem has absolutely nothing to do with ordering PPV and I can only speculate that your modem being able to "see" and display Caller ID does not equate to being sure that other modem functions are working.

:rolleyes:

And you continue as others to speculate on how my system works. If I order PPV and place a call out and my system purges my PPV order then obviously my modem is working and connecting to DISH. The issue has been resolved as it worked fine today. Instead of making assumptions and BS comments on how my system is connected or whether I understand my receiver, all you had to do, which is all I asked what to test out your connection to see if it was working.

#17 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

Was ok yesterday but today both of my 622s locked up before it would let me view my bill just a few min ago

Thank you for confirming exactly what was happening to me yesterday on my receiver. I appreciate your response. Too bad that all the geniuses that posted above could not do a simple test which you were able to do. The DISH CSR is strong with them.

I appreciate your help. Thank you

Edited: For spelling to satisfy the grammar nerds. Also since this issue has been resolved there is no need to waste anymore bandwidth on this thread. The MODS can close this out if they wish.

Edited by kcolg30, 05 June 2010 - 09:46 PM.
Edited: For spelling to satisfy the grammar nerds.

#18 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Thank you for confirming exacly what was happening to me yesterday on my recevier. I apprecaite your response. Too bad that all the geniuses that posted above could not do a simple test which you were able to do. The DISH CSR is strong with them.

I appreciate your help. Thank you

:lol: Geniuses, huh?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Glad to hear it is working again... Maybe there was a system-issue, or related to the upgrades that had the Dish Web site inaccessible at times.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:15 AM

And you continue as others to speculate on how my system works. ...

Pointing out that you were and remain absolutely clueless about how ordering PPV does not involve your modem is not the same as "speculating" how the modem works.

I suspect that the reason you have difficulty dealing with CSRs is obvious to the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...