Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just for fun... post pictures of your first DIRECTV receivers

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

The biggest problem back then was you had to launch your own satellite.

Posted Image
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   water1

water1

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

DTV Rcvs.jpg

The receivers in the upper right are similar to what I started with in 1994. Not exactly sure what was first but I doubt I threw them away.:)
Lot's of history in this stack of stuff. And yes, I am a packrat.
John

#143 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

I grew up near Jackson, MS, which was the first D* test market. It beat the others by a few days or so. The first store to sell them only had about 200, but 400 people in line. One man got there at 4 AM to pay the $800 for the first D* system. I actually met a friend of his who helped him install that VERY FIRST D* system. When he called to activate, D* congratulated him!

My folks got theirs a couple of years later. They've been through about 5 or 6 different receivers, starting with a RCA DRD503. When I moved away, I got a Hughes GAEBOA, then a Philips, which had free video games built in. It had a Battleship clone, a Bejeweled clone, etc. Anyone else remember it?

I'm still trucking along with my HR20-700, which I got with the "sidecar" dish when HD locals launched. I now have a SWMLine, 1TB external drive, and amplified OTA rooftop antenna connected to it.

#144 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

I grew up near Jackson, MS, which was the first D* test market. It beat the others by a few days or so. The first store to sell them only had about 200, but 400 people in line. One man got there at 4 AM to pay the $800 for the first D* system. I actually met a friend of his who helped him install that VERY FIRST D* system. When he called to activate, D* congratulated him!

My folks got theirs a couple of years later. They've been through about 5 or 6 different receivers, starting with a RCA DRD503. When I moved away, I got a Hughes GAEBOA, then a Philips, which had free video games built in. It had a Battleship clone, a Bejeweled clone, etc. Anyone else remember it?

I'm still trucking along with my HR20-700, which I got with the "sidecar" dish when HD locals launched. I now have a SWMLine, 1TB external drive, and amplified OTA rooftop antenna connected to it.

Welcome to the new millennium. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#145 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

The biggest problem back then was you had to launch your own satellite.

Posted Image

Which proved a little difficult at times..
Posted Image
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#146 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Seeing how this thread has been going...I feel so dirty.... :D:lol:

Then again...I think about 75% of the old models have been posted already. ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#147 OFFLINE   cwdonahue

cwdonahue

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

My very first receiver which I installed at my vacation home in the middle of nowhere. Cable wasn't even an option there.

Posted Image

Looked so high tech in silver in 2005.

Several months later, I switched to DirecTV at my primary home and got the following receivers:

Posted Image

TiVO was wonderful to have and my wife could actually work it. She still claims it was so much easier than our HR20 and HR21.

http://www.dbstalk.c...22&d=1275673423

I got one of these for my 50" HD RPTV and found it to be as flaky as a previous poster. It died in 2 years and I was not heartbroken.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...