Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Parental information: new hobby

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GenTso

GenTso

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

:nono: And, no, I'm not a parent.

Is the point of the parental descriptions D* provided as part of the last firmware update to actually describe sex/violence as opposed to showing it? Is that supposed to be somehow better?

Take, for example, the parental information for two movies, both R-Rated: "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" and "Kill Bill, Vol. 1." Reading that information only makes that crappy underworld film seem 100x more violent. A lot of those things ... what was actually going on in a scene never crossed my mind, but I sure as hell remember reading the provided description ... sure enough, there was a blade protruding through the back of someone's skull. The thing is these descriptions allow you to visualize in your minds eye things that aren't even in the film (the visual image I see after reading the previously mentioned blade-through-the-skull description is from the back, but the film only shows a not-very-gory view from the front).

:confused: I just don't get it. I can watch a film and not really notice some half-violent act in a fairly dark scene, but the description in the parental information is more graphic than the actual scene/s in the film. It seems that way with every film, too. I had to think a little about what it reminded me of ... those Penthouse letters, which always seemed more graphic than any pictures.

If not for these descriptions, I wouldn't have even known some of this stuff was even in the movie.

Does it do the same thing with sex? Provide descriptions of the activity that are more graphic than what might be in the movie?

I'm going to go ahead and assume kids can see that information, too, even if there is some way to hide it ... I just don't get the logic behind that. Yes, I know part of helping parents be better informed about particular programs is giving them easy access to the right information, ... but just read those things.

:rolleyes: Irony is not one of those words I just toss around, but man .... some serious irony going on there.

Edited by GenTso, 06 June 2010 - 11:05 AM.
Incomplete sentence; attribution to D*; elaboration

Samsung UNB46B6000 46" Edge-Lit LED LCD
Sony KDL463000 46" LCD Display
Sony 120GB PS3 Slim
HR24-500 D* HD DVR
HR23-700 D* HD DVR
H24-500 D* HD receiver
Sony HT-SS2000 A/V receiver
DVRs, PS3, Samsung TV networked to Linksys WRT54GL with dd-wrt firmware

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

I like the descriptions for my own information. For a parent with younger children it can help them decide whether a movie is suitable for their child. The movie ratings are too vague to base this choice on.

#3 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

yes it does its D* new common sense rating system

#4 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

The parental info is kind of funny to read. Especially the suggested discussion points.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#5 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:03 AM

When I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, we liked to read the little HBO leaflet each month for which movies had nudity in them [beavis]heh heh heh[/beavis]. It served as a nice guide for kids and teenagers then. ;)

Maybe this will take its place.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#6 OFFLINE   GenTso

GenTso

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

Anyone else notice this is now gone?

Is that a result of the (potential) problems with corrupt guide data D* had this morning? Or does it just take longer to re-download after flushing data from the system?
Samsung UNB46B6000 46" Edge-Lit LED LCD
Sony KDL463000 46" LCD Display
Sony 120GB PS3 Slim
HR24-500 D* HD DVR
HR23-700 D* HD DVR
H24-500 D* HD receiver
Sony HT-SS2000 A/V receiver
DVRs, PS3, Samsung TV networked to Linksys WRT54GL with dd-wrt firmware

#7 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

It will take a bit to repopulate, along with onDemand channels, etc. Give it 24-48 hours.
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#8 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

I'm still seeing alot of movies where this feature is still missing.

#9 OFFLINE   coolyman

coolyman

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

I wish I could turn this garbage off. It should be an option under the Parental Controls menu.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

When I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, we liked to read the little HBO leaflet each month for which movies had nudity in them [beavis]heh heh heh[/beavis]. It served as a nice guide for kids and teenagers then. ;)

Maybe this will take its place.

In the 50's we had the Legion of Decency that made a list that was posted in the back of my church.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

I'm no prude but you wouldn't believe the obscene music videos that play on late night TV,a co-worker told me his kids were up in the middle on the night watching them, showed me some of the same junk on YouTube.

Also the shop erotica stuff plays late night on channels most parents wouldn't think needs a block.

#12 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

My kids are all but grown up now, so this stuff isn't that relevant for me anymore. But I would have liked it a few years ago. There was something similar on the internet for movies we used quite often to get a better sense of whether we wanted our kids to see a particular movie. This more detailed information is helpful because not all parents care about the same sort of issues and with this you can see in more detail what you're signing up for in allowing your kids to watch a movie/show. For instance, we really didn't care that much about our kids seeing a bit of nudity, but we didn't want some of the over the top violence that's all too common now. So I think most parents will appreciate this sort of additional information.

On the other hand, have to agree with the poster who mentioned how funny the suggested discussion topics are. Has anyone ever actually had a discussion with their kids about any of these sorts of suggested questions?

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#13 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

I'm not a parent, but I do find the Parental descriptions hilarious.

I applaud the attempt, even the execution to some extent, but I'm sorry, all too often I find them terribly funny. (in tone, presumption and content).

This is not a criticism, it is merely an indicator of my own warped sense of humor.

I read every new one I find (on a series or some such). Their characterizations of shows when straying into a "review" type mode are occasionally horribly misguided (in matters of opinion) (of course, that's just my opinion):)

Nevertheless, I'm glad they are there, they can be very useful to a parent and at the very least, entertaining for the rest of us.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#14 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

They're harmless -and fun for me with no kids to read.

Nobody's trying to censor anything. Besides, if you though you were being censored, wouldn't you just ignore them?

FWIW, I just read the descriptions for The Office and 30 Rock, two of my favorite shows. Honestly, the descriptions were right on the money (and pretty funny).

No harm; no foul...

#15 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

The descriptions are hilarious sometimes and bewildering. Also, why is product placement often mentioned? Is it bad?

#16 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

On the other hand, have to agree with the poster who mentioned how funny the suggested discussion topics are. Has anyone ever actually had a discussion with their kids about any of these sorts of suggested questions?

Actually, yes. I have two 14 year old and a 12 year old in the house and we discuss this stuff fairly regularly. We don't follow the "script" provided, but (as we have done for years) we talk about what's going on in the show or movie, why some people might be opposed to whatever is being depicted or acted out, while others might support it. We discuss the legalities and ethical choices characters make, etc. Not always, and certainly not in any kind of classroom-like setting, but just ensuring good conversation and open talk with our kids.

The descriptions are hilarious sometimes and bewildering. Also, why is product placement often mentioned? Is it bad?

Product placement is a very insidious form of advertisement and almost subliminally-effective, especially for younger kids. The more pervasive and ubiquitous a product is, the more likely someone is to buy it or use it, which is exactly the reason why companies pay film and TV producers to place their products in the first place. The difference with product placement as compared to a commercial, of course, is that when a commercial plays you KNOW it's an ad. The talking point raised is a good start to discussions with your kids about corporate influence in daily life, the power of advertising to direct and guide public opinion, the nature of competition in the marketplace, etc.

IF (and that's a big "IF") parents take the time to actually talk with their children, of course. :rolleyes:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#17 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

Some people are offended to have to notice that broadcast television is paid for by selling products. Some placements really are pretty harmless. Who cares that the judges on American Idol drink from Coke product-branded cups? Some are a lot more pushy. We always laugh at the ridiculous nature of the product placements in the Biggest Loser. They want to convince you that you will never lose weight unless you eat at Subway, use green Ziploc bags and chew whatever gum they push.

#18 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

What I meant was a notice, for instance, in the description of Paul Blart: Mall Cop (the first one that springs to mind), where it said something along the lines of "since the majority of the film takes place in a mall, lots of consumer products can be seen", or something of that nature, I don't remember it verbatim. I found that weird.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,486 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

What I meant was a notice, for instance, in the description of Paul Blart: Mall Cop (the first one that springs to mind), where it said something along the lines of "since the majority of the film takes place in a mall, lots of consumer products can be seen", or something of that nature, I don't remember it verbatim. I found that weird.

I think you are assuming because the information is there that it means they think it is bad. Not at all. They are just providing information on things that parents may care about so they can make a judgement.

I know a lot of parents who want to control or limit the amount of advertiing their children see. Not just because the kids start screaming "I want, I want" but because they want their children to learn how to deal with advertising and commerce when they think they are ready. There may or may not be a link between advertising on TV, etc., and out of control consumerism. I don't know if there is but it is not just sex and violence that need to be monitored when raising children.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

I just barely started playing with this stuff last nite while bored looking for something to watch. (Before I threw in BSG on Blu Ray). As a soon to be parent, I thought it was a decent value added thing from D*. Not something I would pay for, but I thought the attempt to at least give you a good descrition of what goes on in the movie in terms of sex or violence was nice, rather then the random "D, S, L V. N" stuff we see now. I was reading the description on "Bolt" and liked how it went into what scenes could be intense for younger kids and how the movie addressed violence since it is a kids movie. I will admit, the discussion points were humerous in my opinion, but for free, I thought it was a pretty nice value added feature. My 2 cents anyway.

I'm still brushing up on this whole parent thing, I gotta learn, we learned the twins are due in Dec! :):eek:
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

spam firewall