Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Parental information: new hobby

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

I wish I could turn this garbage off. It should be an option under the Parental Controls menu.

I find some of these items hilarious, as others have pointed out.

But it's not being shoved in your face. You have to click to read it. Just ignore it.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

Do a search on the movie "The Hangover" and check the CommonSense ratings for that. IMHO it's really as if a friend watched the movie for you, took notes and tried to explain why it was rated "R", including all of the words used...which is the best part.

#23 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

I found it funny that something like Cougar Town had it but the two Cinemax latenight "soft-core" movies didnt have it.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#24 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

I found it funny that something like Cougar Town had it but the two Cinemax latenight "soft-core" movies didnt have it.

I don't know if TV-MA movies have it or not, but kids probably shouldn't be seeing those anyway, should they?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#25 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Just to clarify: I wasn't saying parents don't (or shouldn't) talk with their kids about what they're watching. We did all the time, still do. But I never remember seeing a discussion suggestion made in a parental advisory (and here I'm thinking about the online site about movies I referenced in my original post as well) I thought really interesting to discuss. That's not to say that all of the suggestions are lame. Some could be worth talking about. But I preferred for talks with my kids about what we were watching to be more organic than that - growing from what we were all really interested in talking about. I think that's the important thing - just talking with kids about what they're watching, not necessarily following some script from a parental advisory group about what they believe we should talk about.

On another note, I was curious where they're getting the hyper-sensitive age recommendations. I see some shows that are listed as "iffy for 14+" while others show "iffy for 13+" and so forth. Does someone really think they can make that kind of one-year discrimination in a reasonable way?

Actually, yes. I have two 14 year old and a 12 year old in the house and we discuss this stuff fairly regularly. We don't follow the "script" provided, but (as we have done for years) we talk about what's going on in the show or movie, why some people might be opposed to whatever is being depicted or acted out, while others might support it. We discuss the legalities and ethical choices characters make, etc. Not always, and certainly not in any kind of classroom-like setting, but just ensuring good conversation and open talk with our kids.

Product placement is a very insidious form of advertisement and almost subliminally-effective, especially for younger kids. The more pervasive and ubiquitous a product is, the more likely someone is to buy it or use it, which is exactly the reason why companies pay film and TV producers to place their products in the first place. The difference with product placement as compared to a commercial, of course, is that when a commercial plays you KNOW it's an ad. The talking point raised is a good start to discussions with your kids about corporate influence in daily life, the power of advertising to direct and guide public opinion, the nature of competition in the marketplace, etc.

IF (and that's a big "IF") parents take the time to actually talk with their children, of course. :rolleyes:

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, Optical Audio to Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 3.41/.71 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#26 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

I don't know if TV-MA movies have it or not, but kids probably shouldn't be seeing those anyway, should they?

Fair enough, but "Rob Zombie Presents: The Haunted World of El Superbeasto" doesnt have it either, but "Con Air" does. Basically there doesnt seem to be much rhyme or reason behind what has it and what doesnt.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#27 OFFLINE   primetime

primetime

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

The descriptions and talking points are pretty funny stuff. I know a few fo the shows they bring up the very worst one time instance of something and make it seem as if it is a regular occurance. Some of the shows that I knew would get lots of warnings were pretty funny, Tosh.O basically lists the swear words that he has bleeped out.

The Parks and Rec warning lists talking with your children about the abuse of power by a powerful bureaucrat in government. I can only guess that they define Leslie Knope or Ron Swanson as a "Powerful Bureaucrat" almost in complete irony with the point of the show.

#28 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, my wife and I have been getting good laughs reading some of these. Read the ones from The Tudors or Nurse Jackie! Also, Dexter was pretty funny since even though we looked at an airing on Showtime, the talked about how this show was super violent and is now running nearly uncut on CBS!!!!! Didn't they do that one summer due to the writers stike and heavily edit the shows? Not that I would want kids watching in any case, but they hardly ran a show with a running time of close to an hour in a 44 or less minnute slot and did not edit the living daylights out f it.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

spam firewall