Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote recording via MRV

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

I'm now 'officially' signed up for Whole-Home DVR; also known as MRV. According to an email I just received from DirecTV and verified from directv.com/wholehome, I should be able to "Record and Delete shows from any connected TV". I have two DVRs, an HR21-200 and a HR22-100, and a H21-200, on my MRV network. I can list, view and delete shows recorded on either DVR from any of the other receivers . However, I can't figure out how to schedule a new recording from another receiver to either of the DVRs. I know I can do this from the DirecTV schedule web page but should I be able to do so directly from my receivers via MRV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

You can only schedule a recording from the HD receiver. You cannot do it from an HD DVR. So it will work with you H21 but that is the only one.

#3 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

That's what I thought. I don't understand why the distinction though. How hard would it be to ask which DVR to record to for an MRV enabled DVR? I guess I shouldn't (can't) complain this being unsupported and all.

Thanks...

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:30 AM

I'm not sure from your posts. You do know how to do it from the H21, right? Just record like you would from one of the DVRs locally and it will ask which DVR you want to record it on.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

That's what I thought. I don't understand why the distinction though. How hard would it be to ask which DVR to record to for an MRV enabled DVR? I guess I shouldn't (can't) complain this being unsupported and all.

Thanks...

I am with you on this one. It has nothing to do with being unsupported or not, it's in the software.

Please DirecTV: give us the option to schedule a recording from any receiver, even a DVR to another DVR.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#6 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

I am with you on this one. It has nothing to do with being unsupported or not, it's in the software.

Please DirecTV: give us the option to schedule a recording from any receiver, even a DVR to another DVR.

Just had MRV installed the other day along with some HR24s and the installer left the lastest "directv Tips and Tricks". on page12 it list Directv Whole-Home DVR Service and has an example of a person recording Entourage and it ask on the screen "Select the DVR you would like to record on. Then it has a box with the various locations of the DVRs in the house.

Since this is in their "manual" it shouldn't be too far away as reality.
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

Since this is in their "manual" it shouldn't be too far away as reality.

!rolling
Yeah, like their manuals are so up to date. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be nice to think that when the MPEG encoders for time slot are full/used, the DVR asks you what other DVR to schedule this recording from that has a MPEG encoder resource free. An extension to this would be to manage other DVR recording settings...unified playlist should be unified manage recoding list too.

!rolling
Yeah, like their manuals are so up to date. :lol:

Wouldn't this mean that their manuals are actually ahead of the facts, not behind. :lol:
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

#9 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

I would love to see this implemented, as well as a few other small, but needed changes to the current MRV service
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

This may be a minority opinion but I like it the way it is.
Here's why.

If I'm using a DVR and I want to record something, unless the HD is full it doesn't matter where it records. With the unified playlist no matter where it records I will see it when I want to play back. I don't even worry from what room its coming from now that DECA is here. It works everywhere.

When I use my H21 to record, I have to pick which DVR, that makes sense. But do I want that extra step on every HR DVR I start a recording on? No. Another step 100% of the time will be a nuisance. Unless there is a menu setting to disable it, please avoid this.

Of course there are exceptions such as a parents DVR that isn't visible to kids etc but if I can't view it in another room, then I shouldn't be able to record to it either otherwise its way too confusing.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

This may be a minority opinion but I like it the way it is.
Here's why.

If I'm using a DVR and I want to record something, unless the HD is full it doesn't matter where it records. With the unified playlist no matter where it records I will see it when I want to play back. I don't even worry from what room its coming from now that DECA is here. It works everywhere.

When I use my H21 to record, I have to pick which DVR, that makes sense. But do I want that extra step on every HR DVR I start a recording on? No. Another step 100% of the time will be a nuisance. Unless there is a menu setting to disable it, please avoid this.

Of course there are exceptions such as a parents DVR that isn't visible to kids etc but if I can't view it in another room, then I shouldn't be able to record to it either otherwise its way too confusing.

The nice thing if added would be if you are using one DVR that is/will be recording two programs you could set another to record something else without having to go to that one or use remote booking.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

The nice thing if added would be if you are using one DVR that is/will be recording two programs you could set another to record something else without having to go to that one or use remote booking.

If it is done without extra steps for normal programming, sure. (As pointed out in the post you replied to.) Maybe if it does this only in case of conflict, or maybe it defaults to the local DVR but it is a choice in the record options you can go and change for that recording/series recording, just like starting early or ending late.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

If they just did this when it sees conflicts...in other words the local DVR MPEG encoder resources are full for that time slot....this would be great. Ideally, a drop-down box pops up to select DVR to record from with the local being the default if not conflicts.

To me, it is just crazy that you can do this from a non-DVR to DVR but not DVR to DVR. DirecTV is promoting a network and to me this would expand the total disk "array" and resources. In marketing terms for a guy like me with 3x HR23-700s....I now have 6 MPEG encoder concurrent recording resources. I know..."you could do that now"....yeah but my point is this is why I'm paying for MRV. I'd like to see MRV expanded to have more intelligence and remote scheduling and remote management. I bit the bullet and now paying for the monthly "service" so my expectation has gone up to have more than just remote playback from a combined playlist. :D
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

thekochs, I think that if you're patient, you'll be rewarded. All things in time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

thekochs, I think that if you're patient, you'll be rewarded. All things in time.

oh? :D

This would be the single biggest new feature in my house.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#16 OFFLINE   bratboy

bratboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

If they just did this when it sees conflicts...in other words the local DVR MPEG encoder resources are full for that time slot....this would be great. Ideally, a drop-down box pops up to select DVR to record from with the local being the default if not conflicts.

To me, it is just crazy that you can do this from a non-DVR to DVR but not DVR to DVR. DirecTV is promoting a network and to me this would expand the total disk "array" and resources. In marketing terms for a guy like me with 3x HR23-700s....I now have 6 MPEG encoder concurrent recording resources. I know..."you could do that now"....yeah but my point is this is why I'm paying for MRV. I'd like to see MRV expanded to have more intelligence and remote scheduling and remote management. I bit the bullet and now paying for the monthly "service" so my expectation has gone up to have more than just remote playback from a combined playlist. :D

I like that idea. While I'd like the option always available if it was at least an option when there's a conflict would be nice.
2 x HR24-500's
1 x HR22NC-100 China 1/21/09 via component
Slimline 5 LNB connected via SWM
TV-JVC HD-52Z575 D-ila
Amp-Yamaha HR-5730

#17 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

soon... ?!?!?! :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#18 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

Ahhhh.........clearly you don't know me....patient.....what is that ? :lol:
I figure there is more coming for MRV...there are alot of creative ideas/avenues you can go down and DirecTV can even use to market over Cable and Dish and UVerse.

How's this one......now that MP3s are "natively" supported in the new firmware release DirecTV works on video files (aside from MPEG Transport Stream) like VOB/IFO, AVI, MP4, etc. Then, a consumer can take external HDD via eSATA or USB or Ethernet port or thru some DECA connection and have this external HDD with your MP3s/PICs (JPEGs)/Videos map into your MRV and into your playlist ? Now, for those of us that have struggled with MediaShare by using a PC with WMP transoding or Tversity or transcode software on NAS (eg. MediaTomb or Twonky) you could map this simple external HDD into MRV and the DECA network and use it for more marketing and content play to drive the use of MRV monthly charge adoption. Heck, maybe have a special DECA module that plugs into the 2nd port Ethernet port of the STB or connects to a splitter and this DECA module does the decode of the MP3s/PICs (JPEGs)/Videos and serves to the MRV/DECA network.

If you like that one....got plenty more. :)

Edited by thekochs, 08 June 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...