Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Encore (channel 340) missing from my program guide

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

What I don't understand is why other premium channels (SHO, HBO, Starz, SHOCS to name a few) do show up in the 9500's in red while others don't unless you subscribe.

There is a flag that can be set on the channel that can "hide" it to non-subscribers. Whether or not it is set depends on if DISH wants non-subscribers to see the channel and be tempted to subscribe. Locals are "hidden" because no one needs to see thousands of channels they can't subscribe to ... but the basic, Latino and most international channels are not hidden. (Dish can also flag unsubscribed channels green and link them to DISH Home Interactive for ordering.)

Sometimes the channels in red are not consistent.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Are you saying you powered off and when it rebooted ch340 was there? My CSR guy also said it wasn't part of 250 or Absolute, and their online info was wrong and would be changed soon... Just curious if other Absolute subscribers who don't have Starz or Movie Pack, do still have channel 340.

I don't really care with all the other HD they've added to Absolute, but if I'm "supposed" to get it, I want it. Soon dropping HBO and ST, for Netflix on the Wii (don't have a 1080 TV anyway).

I just signed up for "Free HD for Life" and was expecting to see Encore 340 HD since it's PUBLISHED as being part of 250HD (since they don't carry Encore West in HD they have been giving 250HD subs 340 in HD only and 341 in SD).

Well I too was not getting 340HD so I called tech support (my first call was on the day after "free HD for life" was first offered to existing subs). It did not take much convincing to prove that I was supposed to get the channel, and had actually received the channel in the past when I had 3 free months of Starz/Encore w/HBO a year ago.

When the tech failed to make it happen, they said that they were going to escalate the problem. I patently waited a week and then called back last Sunday. This time the tech did all the same things, but in a different order (pulling the plug first before running a check switch to force a download of the guide data) did the trick.

BTW: I believe the problem stems from the actual channel number 9505. That channel was not showing up in my guide, not even in the red (I keep my guide on "All Chan" so if it's not there it can't map down to 340).

What I don't understand is why other premium channels (SHO, HBO, Starz, SHOCS to name a few) do show up in the 9500's in red while others don't unless you subscribe.

I also don't understand how that chat person could make a blanket statement that 340 HD is no longer in 250 or absolute.

#63 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

Are you saying you powered off and when it rebooted ch340 was there? My CSR guy also said it wasn't part of 250 or Absolute, and their online info was wrong and would be changed soon... Just curious if other Absolute subscribers who don't have Starz or Movie Pack, do still have channel 340.

I don't really care with all the other HD they've added to Absolute, but if I'm "supposed" to get it, I want it. Soon dropping HBO and ST, for Netflix on the Wii (don't have a 1080 TV anyway).

There were three steps to getting Encore HD to work. First you need to get on the phone with TECH SUPPORT, not just any CSR. That tech needs to "hit" your receiver after you pull the plug and wait about 10 - 15 seconds (a "hard reboot"). Then do a check switch, which when done forces an EPG download (which takes about 5 minutes).

The first time this was tried the check switch was done first before pulling the plug. The second tech said that you have to do a hard reboot first before the check switch/guide download.

The day 340 in HD is removed from 250HD is the day Encore West 341 goes on the air in HD (and not sooner). Any CSR making statements about 340 HD not being in 250 or Absolute is wrong! All the Tech Support people I spoke with since the day I got HD free for life agreed that 340 HD does indeed belong in 250HD (and by default in Absolute).

Edited by Michael P, 15 June 2010 - 05:32 PM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall