Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony One question?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

I have all my components controlled by my Onkyo receiver. Everything passes through the receiver.

Will the Harmony One work using this setup?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

I have all my components controlled by my Onkyo receiver. Everything passes through the receiver.

Will the Harmony One work using this setup?

Don't see why not. Now, I don't have a Harmony One, it's a 620 and a Denon that everything goes through, but similar enough.

The one annoyance, I can't find a way for the remote not to send a signal to the TV to put the TV on HDMI 1. It works, but the menu comes up when it's not really needed.

#3 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Don't see why not. Now, I don't have a Harmony One, it's a 620 and a Denon that everything goes through, but similar enough.

The one annoyance, I can't find a way for the remote not to send a signal to the TV to put the TV on HDMI 1. It works, but the menu comes up when it's not really needed.

Hmmm my receiver is "HDMI 1" as well.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

It'll work.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

Hmmm my receiver is "HDMI 1" as well.

You might be able to add a command to exit the menu. Like I said, it works fine, just an extra step bringing up the menu. Nothing will actually change.

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

In the device setup you can make the input commands anything you want. Just make HDMI 1 something bogus like exit.

#7 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hmmm I am going to buy the Harmony One this afternoon and see if I can get it working correctly with my system,

I may end up calling them though for help on the HDMI issue and everything passing through my Onkyo.

Thanks for the advice.

#8 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Depending on your TV you may or may not see this issue. Toshiba's and some of the Newer Sony's require the remote to scroll through the inputs (as opposed to a direct address). This brings up the inputs menu. I had to configure my Harmony ONE for a "Toshiba type" on my Sony ES700. Not needed for either of my XBRs.

Found this stuff after the initial set up did not work right and went in to correct remote issues.

Great remote, great eye candy! I prefer my Harmony 700 though for the hard buttons for the red, green, yellow, blue keys. But it does lack an on screen display battery level indicator (till it goes low enough to stop functioning) and also lacks the time of day display. Also only does 6 devices (the One does 12).

Running the Harmony One for the Sony 60 in EX700, The 700 for a Sony 46 in XBR2, and an older 880 for BOTH a 57 in Toshiba DLP & a 32 in Sony XBR6 (it helps that I have the same DVD single player and DVD changer in both the last 2 set ups) And the H21 with MRV functions properly defined as an HR20-700 so I am able to share 3 device set ups between the 2 systems.

Unless you have more than 6 devices to control and don't care about a time of day display on the remote, you might be just as happy with the 700 and have the extra hundred to placate the significant other:grin:

Both the 700 and the One have great ergonomics and button location. The 880 is a bit awkward but it's their first cut so...

Don "talked myself out of another Harmony and doubled up on the 880" Bolton

Hmmm I am going to buy the Harmony One this afternoon and see if I can get it working correctly with my system,

I may end up calling them though for help on the HDMI issue and everything passing through my Onkyo.

Thanks for the advice.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#9 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

I have an Onkyo receiver and the harmony remote works great. I have the Harmony 900.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#10 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I think I have mine working. I haven't checked all the activities yet. Thought I would come here and respond. :) It is pretty cool and much easier to set up than I thought.

But there are some more detailed functions, specifically in regards to using it with Directv. It is missing some functions such as the "red/yellow/green" buttons that do some actions with the Directv guide.

Can I get the remote to do these functions?

I really miss the "red" button which brings up the sports scores. :( I use that function alot.

Thanks everyone.

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,521 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

I think I have mine working. I haven't checked all the activities yet. Thought I would come here and respond. :) It is pretty cool and much easier to set up than I thought.

But there are some more detailed functions, specifically in regards to using it with Directv. It is missing some functions such as the "red/yellow/green" buttons that do some actions with the Directv guide.

I really miss the "red" button which brings up the sports scores. :( I use that function alot.

Thanks everyone.

Put the colors or any button on the screen.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

You can change the way inputs are selected on a given device. The default may work but it's not necessarily optimal. For instance, on my Panasonic TV by default it went into an on-screen menu and picked a number, when there's a perfectly good discrete code available.

You can also opt to not change inputs at all, if you only use HDMI. You can also do your own command sequence when a device is selected, if the pre-defined input selection schemes don't meet your needs.

It should have placed the red/green/yellow/blue buttons on the touch screen for you by default.

#13 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

You can change the way inputs are selected on a given device. The default may work but it's not necessarily optimal. For instance, on my Panasonic TV by default it went into an on-screen menu and picked a number, when there's a perfectly good discrete code available.

You can also opt to not change inputs at all, if you only use HDMI. You can also do your own command sequence when a device is selected, if the pre-defined input selection schemes don't meet your needs.

It should have placed the red/green/yellow/blue buttons on the touch screen for you by default.

Haha it did :P I saw these colored buttons but didn't know what they were. *blush* I am a happy camper. It is quite amazing that the remote knows all the functions or the most basic ones used. Pretty cool. I am sure I will probably run into some problems but perhaps not. :)

#14 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

They should be on the touch screen once you've activated the activity that turns on the Sat receiver along with your TV and AV system. You can toggle through the touch functions using the left and right arrows at the screens bottom edges.

If you've pressed devices and thats whats on the display press activities and it should return.

Don "It does everything but wipe one's . . . :grin:yup" Bolton

Thanks everyone.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#15 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

I want to add some favorite channel "logos" I added channel 213-MLBHD on directv but I can't get the logo?

Does this favorites channels/logos work very well?

#16 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

Here's a source for many logos. It's the one that Harmony recommends. Didn't see the logo you're looking for but maybe you can find it. You can also make your own. It's a jpg 178 wide X 110 High.

http://www.iconharmony.com/icons/

Edited by olguy, 08 June 2010 - 06:30 AM.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#17 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

One last question I hope: Can the Harmony One control my Wii? I tried to set it up as an activity but no such luck.

Thanks

#18 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

No. The Wii is bluethooth and remotes aren't. I just make a plain old Watch TV activity and rename it Play Wii, otherwise you're wasting a device.

#19 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

Damn :(

#20 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

Damn :(

Yeap, that's the only negative that comes to mind... my son has to actually press the power button on the Wii to turn it on. The Harmony does, however, turn on the TV and Onkyo receiver and set the correct inputs. Luckily, Logitech made an adapter for the PS3, which I use in my bedroom with a Harmony 700.

To give you an idea of Logitech's customer support, I had a Harmony 800 for my system downstairs. The zero button stopped working, and after a bit of troubleshooting over the phone, the guy said, "We no longer make the 800; would the Harmony One be OK as a replacement?" :D I also had a 670 that was out of warranty; I quickly discovered that they give you a 50% coupon toward any remote on their Web site, which I used for a 700. You don't even need a receipt for warranty purposes... they check the date you first activated the remote.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

spam firewall