Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA power inserter question (18V)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dave DFW

Dave DFW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

I'm upgrading an H21 to an H24 from Solid Signal. This will free up a DECA to use for an internet connection. I'm used to seeing 29V used for SWM8 and 21V with a SWiMline dish (my setup). I had not seen the 18V before, but the product picture on the SS site shows it with the familiar green MRV / DECA label.

Would I be correct assuming that for an internet connection both the 21V PI and 18V PI will meet requirements? If this is the case I guess the advantage of the 18V PI is just that it is less bulky - also looking at the picture again it looks like it would be harder to mess up the connection.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

Would I be correct assuming that for an internet connection both the 21V PI and 18V PI will meet requirements? If this is the case I guess the advantage of the 18V PI is just that it is less bulky.

Thank you.

Correct. Either will work.

#3 OFFLINE   Dave DFW

Dave DFW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm before I submitted my order.

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,911 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:53 AM

If you get a 2-port PI, you probably should terminate the IRD port.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

... If this is the case I guess the advantage of the 18V PI is just that it is less bulky - also looking at the picture again it looks like it would be harder to mess up the connection.

Thank you.

Actually the major difference and advantage of the 18 v "blue" power supply officially called a "PS-18" for the internet DECA dongle is that the 75 ohm termination and supply voltage output are built into the same connection point to the DECA's pigtail, as opposed to using a "power inserter" (PI) converted into such by means of placing a terminating cap on the unused receiver port of a PI.

See here for image:

http://www.dbstalk.c...187#post2459187

As opposed to using a converted PI here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...148#post2459148

Edited by HoTat2, 07 June 2010 - 10:28 AM.

spam firewall