Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Light To Guide Our Feet Looking For Listeners

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

"Light To Guide Our Feet" is a 24/7 audio ministry on Galaxy 19 Satellite. We began our programming January 1, 2010. To date we have no evidence of even one person hearing our audio program. (Galaxy 19, 97 degrees West, Transponder 12060 (Ku band) , Symbol Rate 22,000, FEC 3/4).

We were told that the satellite covers the USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. What is the problem? What is happening? Has anyone out there ever heard of us? Have you ever heard us?

Has anyone ever heard of us on GloryStar Channel 1011? Can you get us on Glorystar Channel 1011?

Have we wasted our money? Is there a satellite that guarantees results?

Any recommendations? (Should we just do Internet streaming?).

We must get immedidate satellite results or make immediate transitions. We truly need your feedback.

Which satellite and/or DTH can we get on (at a reasonable monthly rate) and be guaranteed excellent immediate results? (The program will continue, it's just a matter of Where.)

Edited by James Long, 06 June 2010 - 11:49 PM.
Removed direct contact info ... PM the member if you can help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

DirecTV and Dish Network have their own satellites and do not retransmit signals from others.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

DirecTV and Dish Network have their own satellites and do not retransmit signals from others.

Dear Larry,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Are you recommending that we contact them? Or, rather, are you recommending that we post our inquiry in a different location? (I am new to this board).

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:04 AM

"Light To Guide Our Feet" is a 24/7 audio ministry on Galaxy 19 Satellite. We began our programming January 1, 2010. To date we have no evidence of even one person hearing our audio program. (Galaxy 19, 97 degrees West, Transponder 12060 (Ku band) , Symbol Rate 22,000, FEC 3/4).

What have you done to promote that it is there?

Glorystar is basically a simplified "free to air" satellite system. People buy a system, install it (or pay for install) and enjoy the programming available from the satellite(s) it receives. I see that you are on their channel list (although the link to your website is bad), your channel should be available on Glorystar receivers - but getting people to find you, listen and respond is a different challenge.

There are two ways to proceed ... get a marketing firm to figure out how to tell people where you are and how to listen or change your method of broadcasting. Your web site is broken enough that I wouldn't be able to tell you had a satellite radio program - so that may be a good place to start.

DISH or DirecTV may sell you access to a radio channel that would be made available for free to their subscribers but they are not required to do so. or once you get your website working you could use internet streaming to get your message out.

As far as where to post here ... we don't have a lot of broadcasters visiting. Mostly viewers --- consumers of what you put on the satellite. But there is a chance that someone will see this and respond.

#5 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:56 AM

We have not done very much to promote it (other than put a few links on the Internet and tell a few local people about it).

We are not criticizing our satellite uplink company (RRSAT), they have been extremely helpful and understanding. Nor are we criticizing GloryStar, they have been helpful as well. Rather, we are concerned about what happens to the signal after it gets to the satellite (Galaxy 19), what is the quality of the signal going out to the claimed coverage area - - (do we have quality signals reaching those areas [24/7], etc.).

We are streaming some of the program on the Internet but this is about results from the satellite (that's why I do not want to list [here] the Internet link because we must make sure we are getting results from the satellite).

We had hoped the satellite would be diffferent from the Internet (one can have programs on the Internet and never be found [because of the billions of others on the Internet] but we had hoped the satellite would be different (more productive).

The real issue is this: Should we just stream on the Internet and use the money for promotion (rather than pay for satellite and receive no measurable results)?

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

The real issue is this: Should we just stream on the Internet and use the money for promotion (rather than pay for satellite and receive no measurable results)?

I would say that the answer to that question is YES.

You could have your service on dozens of satellites and all over the Internet, but if you don't have an advertising budget, no one is ever going to find you and you are completely wasting your money.

Right now, your service is available all over the place via satellite, BUT only to a relatively tiny group of people who have chosen to purchase and install satellite systems that do NOT provide "mainstream" TV content. And of that small group of people, how many of them got the system to listen to you specifically, or even among others? Probably very few, because you haven't built an audience who knows who you are. You need to advertise in order to do that.

Use the Internet to get your service out at a low cost, and the rest of your money to advertise. Build an audience. Then, maybe, it might make sense to revisit satellite audio broadcasting, though IMO that's always going to be a very niche market, as the barriers for entry for your listeners is very high.

#7 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I would say that the answer to that question is YES.

You could have your service on dozens of satellites and all over the Internet, but if you don't have an advertising budget, no one is ever going to find you and you are completely wasting your money.

Right now, your service is available all over the place via satellite, BUT only to a relatively tiny group of people who have chosen to purchase and install satellite systems that do NOT provide "mainstream" TV content. And of that small group of people, how many of them got the system to listen to you specifically, or even among others? Probably very few, because you haven't built an audience who knows who you are. You need to advertise in order to do that.

Use the Internet to get your service out at a low cost, and the rest of your money to advertise. Build an audience. Then, maybe, it might make sense to revisit satellite audio broadcasting, though IMO that's always going to be a very niche market, as the barriers for entry for your listeners is very high.

Thanks for responding.

I find no fault in your reasoning (we are reaching the same conclusions).

Given the size of the geographical area covered, we expected to be able to verify some listeners (at least); however, five months and zero response (and zero verification) leaves no margin for logical and responsible movement in the same direction. (Of course, it is always possible that they heard us once and never wanted to hear us again.) Either way, we must quickly change course.

Again, thanks for the reasonable and sound advice.

(The companies were so nice to us I really regret having to flesh this out in public.)

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Also figure that there are probably 10,000 times more people who have high-speed Internet than have an FTA system with a dish pointed at G19, and that number may be conservative. You already offer niche progamming, but trying to get it out to people in a niche format doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.

I'm sure there is an audience for your content, but I'd drop the satellite service immediately.

#9 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

Looks like satellite reception technology (at consumer end) is not keeping up with technological advancements. I searched for apps that would allow cellular phone users to just click/press and listen (we do not do video). Aside from niche-specific proprietary ones I found none.

Samples of our broadcast may be heard in forums at our online site. (I'm so new on this board I'm not yet allowed to post URLs.) This may be my fifth post so I'll try to post it next.

I have been in broadcasting many years and have a keen appreciation of the coverage potential made possible by satellite signals (and am excited about that potential, [that {the potential} is really why we gave satellite a try]), but, if easily affordable reception equipment is not available (at consumer end) most of that potential is lost.

#10 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:19 AM

Samples of the Light To Guide Our Feet online site may be seen/heard at the (relatively new) www.ltgof.com site ( Light To Guide Our Feet Site . Please excuse the spam - - hopefully, later this week we will find the time to clean it up and ban the spammers - - so far we just took a few minutes and posted our link ("Love for you") in every forum.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:34 AM

Looks like satellite reception technology (at consumer end) is not keeping up with technological advancements. I searched for apps that would allow cellular phone users to just click/press and listen (we do not do video). Aside from niche-specific proprietary ones I found none.

Streaming audio can be provided directly to smarter cell phones. Unless you get on a system like Sirius XM, satellite streaming to portable units isn't going to work. (And Sirius/XM do not lease space on their system.)

Satellites are for home reception and the market you're currently (not) reaching are people who have decided to spend more than a few hundred dollars to get the special GloryStar feeds). Which is good because they are (hopefully) interested in Christian/family programming enough to actually watch or listen but bad because you are directly competing against similar feeds.

Internet feeds are lower cost for the listener and most likely for you as well. You can stream a feed for a couple of hundred dollars a month through an expensive provider. I'd bet your satellite costs are much higher. And statistics are available so you know at any given moment how many are listening. (Just don't be freaked out by "low" numbers. It takes time to build an audience. At least with streaming it won't take a lot of money.)

#12 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

Is there some kind of worldwide restraint on FTA reception technology?

#13 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

First, let me point out that this thread probably ought to be moved to the FTA forum, since it's talking only about FTA.

RestRefuge, imagine that you launched a new FM radio station in your town. How would people know to look for it? You'd need to promote it somehow, through churches or other groups that agree with you, or through advertising.

It's the same on Galaxy 19, except there are even more stations on the dial, and it's harder to pick them up. Further, there are plenty of other Christian radio stations available FTA, so most folks who want to listen have already found a station that they like. In this case, you need to let potential listeners know that you exist AND provide a compelling reason why they should go away from their favorite Christian station to listen to you instead. It's a tall order, like launching the third classic rock FM station in a market. How are you that much better than your competitors? Answer that question and you'll have your marketing theme.

OTOH, if you were to start an English-language video feed with half Christian content and half old public-domain movies, you'd have an instant audience to preach to. FTA viewers are hungry for secular programming, and if you feed them some with ads for your Christian shows, you might convert a few. The Gospel says, "(T)here will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance." Just sayin'. Good luck!
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#14 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Dear FTA Michael,

Thanks for the information (and for the move). I was not aware of this forum.

Since we joined the FTA "family" in January of this year I guess we need to help make the most of FTA. I really like the FTA idea (it's my style [I like helping those who do not have a lot of money {the "least of these"}]) but the zero listenership we experienced during the last five months threatens to make me one of them (again [I grew up in poverty]).
What would it take (money and equipment wise) for us to send our audio signals directly to Galaxy 19 Satellite? (Since it is "Free-To-Air" I assume there is no charge for being "on the satellite".)

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

Since it is "Free-To-Air" I assume there is no charge for being "on the satellite".

Sorry. Those satellites are owned by companies that want their pound of flesh for the space you are taking up.

"Free-To-Air" is the way you are offering your signals to "subscribers".

#16 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

Sorry. Those satellites are owned by companies that want their pound of flesh for the space you are taking up.

"Free-To-Air" is the way you are offering your signals to "subscribers".

Thanks for educating me.

What is the least expensive way to gain broadcast access to FTAs?

#17 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

If all have finished laughing at our naivety, please come on, roll up your sleeves and help us. We need your help. What kind of help? We need money.

#18 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

I just don't see it working IMHO. Remember SkyAngel? I know people that had it and it had all sorts of religious offerings and it still had to go to streaming over the internet.

It has just been my personal observation that the types of folks who listen to religious "talk radio" are more often than not the types to not be able to afford a FTA system. I don't mean to offend anyone with that comment, and I know there are many many cases where that is not the case, it is just something I have noticed; the cars with the most religious stickers and things on them are usually the worst looking cars in the parking lot so to speak.

I can't think of anyone I know that wouth both bother with FTA with its sad selection of channels (IMO) and attends church on a regular basis. Of all the people I know, I really could only think of a handful of them that would bother with a FTA system at all, even if someone gave it to them for free.

I think your idea about finding a cheaper means of broadcasting and spending more money on advertising would be a great idea. Once you get a large fan base, then reconsider FTA. You might have enough backing at that point where you could get a group of listeners to actually donate parts or money to get FTA systems going to send to groups of people so they could enjoy your programming.

Edited by matt, 11 June 2010 - 12:28 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:19 AM

Your forum is so full of spam it isn't even funny. The only real looking post is the one about love for you, but they posted it everywhere they could, so I guess that would be spam too.

You will have to stay on top of it if you want anyone to take it seriously and post there.

#20 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

I just don't see it working IMHO. Remember SkyAngel? I know people that had it and it had all sorts of religious offerings and it still had to go to streaming over the internet.

It has just been my personal observation that the types of folks who listen to religious "talk radio" are more often than not the types to not be able to afford a FTA system. I don't mean to offend anyone with that comment, and I know there are many many cases where that is not the case, it is just something I have noticed; the cars with the most religious stickers and things on them are usually the worst looking cars in the parking lot so to speak.

I can't think of anyone I know that wouth both bother with FTA with its sad selection of channels (IMO) and attends church on a regular basis. Of all the people I know, I really could only think of a handful of them that would bother with a FTA system at all, even if someone gave it to them for free.

Dear Matt1124,

The points you make are the ones that (during the past week) really started me to thinking. We have a choice:
1. We can make FTA work, or
2. We can give up on FTA

I am not willing to give up on FTAs. I think there is a way to make them work. As a matter of fact, I KNOW there is a way to make them work, but, those people who have a lot of money will need to share with the "least of these" without worrying about an ROI.

We just have to find enough rich people who have hearts (real hearts). When I say "rich", I mean people who are rich enough to give and not worry about ROI. After all, if one is REALLY rich he/she should not have to worry about ROI on a million dollars (US) given to a good cause.

With the right kind of money GIVEN (NOT INVESTED) to those of us who really want to make FTA work, it will happen.

If someone gives me a milllion dollars (US) I, alone, am sure I can create business models that will make FTA work (and I am ONLY INTERESTED IN AUDIO on FTAs.)

I know this sounds naive (particularly due to the influence of poliltical lobbying and laws that could destroy the forward movement of the endeavor), but, I think it is certainly worth a valiant try.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...