Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Light To Guide Our Feet Looking For Listeners

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

Your forum is so full of spam it isn't even funny. The only real looking post is the one about love for you, but they posted it everywhere they could, so I guess that would be spam too.

You will have to stay on top of it if you want anyone to take it seriously and post there.

Yes, the spam at www.ltgof.com is really bad. I did not have time to get it off so I just added a link to our sample audio program - - - the spammers are really the people that need it. I added This link

http://ltgof.com/sho...-Guide-Our-Feet

I have not yet decided whether to ban the spammers or try to minister to them. (I would rather minister to them than ban them.)

Actually, the kind of materials posted by the spammers show the critical need for the kind of programming Light To Guide Our Feet does.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:36 AM

You could start a ministry sending spam ...

There is a challenge to what you are suggesting. GloryStar is providing affordable start up FTA systems for people wanting to receive Christian signals FTA. Part of their program is providing "filtered" FTA. The programs programmed into a GloryStar receiver should be acceptable to a Christian audience and not contrary to the goals of the ministries.

At it's base level FTA can pick up anything ... if you (for examples) hand out free radios in a particular town to pick up the local Christian broadcaster what is to stop people from tuning them in to the local Howard Stern wannabe? You could hand out fixed tuned radios (as is done in Haiti and elsewhere around the world. Basically that is what GloryStar is doing - although they still charge for their systems.

So now all you need is a financial source to support funding the discounted or free distribution of GloryStar systems. Although with those systems people are not locked into your signal. A fixed tuned satellite system that would only be able to pick up YOUR broadcast would probably be cost prohibitive.

You are on a decent platform ... the zero response is likely (and it is hard to put it any nicer) an indication as to how accepted your programming is. If people are not interested enough to even complain about your broadcasts you might want to take a serious listen and look at why people should bother with listening.

Don't answer the question here ... we don't need to know the answer. But find the answer to the question of WHY anyone would bother to listen to your programming.

It has been suggested that you play (if video) public domain TV shows and then insert your message. That is a "scheme" used by many family oriented radio stations and networks as well. Sound like a secular station then hook people with the meat of your message when they are unaware. Get them to open the spam. :)

Look at (and listen to) what works for other ministries then sit down and ask yourself why anyone would bother to listen to YOUR ministry. What makes YOU special? And how can you make yourself special enough to get people to listen.

Seek out a board or list that discusses Christian radio ... get involved in that community. And best wishes on getting your feed to be successful.

#23 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Honestly, FTA is one of the most expensive ways to receive a "free" audio broadcast. Listeners have to spend $300-400 each, to buy video-capable equipment and have it installed (connected to their TV), just to listen to an audio feed. IMO, that is WAY too high a barrier to entry for most people. It's a business model that just doesn't make sense to me.

You are spending money, mostly other people's money, so THEY are going to be looking for a ROI. You are selling your message, but you have to get people to buy, or at least browse your offerings, first.

Imagine two churches in a town. One is in the center of town, has a paved road leading to it, a big parking lot, padded pews, and air conditioning. The other is 5 miles out of town on a rutted, unpaved road with a muddy parking lot, milk crates to sit on, and is 110F in the summer.

Which church do you think is going to attract the most people to hear its message? Hint: it won't be the one that makes it difficult and expensive for the listener.

Sure, the FTA people are nice - they HAVE to be in order to get the much-needed funds from you. But IMO they are not an effective way to get your message out - it's likely you have zero FTA listeners. You are pouring money down the drain to no effect - money that could far better be used to advertise your Internet stream to people who are already likely to listen to it. I'd recommend that you cease FTA broadcasting immediately and investigate some targeted advertising and to GET YOUR WEBSITE IN ORDER! If you want to know about influence and advertising, get a successful web forum COMMUNITY going, and you'll do better than you can imagine, but you've got to have some good, dedicated people to administrate it constantly and keep the spam and flamers out, and the interested people in.

Just because you have *some* money to spend doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to maximize your ROI, and if you aren't, the chances of getting "some rich person" to give you a bigger pile to waste is going to be very, very slim. People with money got that way by spending their money for the greatest ROI, not by ignoring it.

#24 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Have you considered contacting Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan? Many of the Seventh Day Adventists already have free to air setups and love this type of programming. I get requests from them to install or service their dishes. Most of them are not poor and can afford FTA systems.

#25 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

Have you considered contacting Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan? Many of the Seventh Day Adventists already have free to air setups and love this type of programming. I get requests from them to install or service their dishes. Most of them are not poor and can afford FTA systems.

Thanks! They will be contacted.

Please accept my "YOU HAVE A HEART" award for today.

#26 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

Let me know how it turns out. I will tell others with FTA to check out your channel.

#27 OFFLINE   timekeeper

timekeeper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

RestRefuge,

I would guess someone in your organization would have had a system setup to monitor this.
I scanned 97.
Found 1 name Glorystar OTA 11842,H,22000,3/4

NO Audio or Video.

#28 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

This whole concept, from what I can tell, is really all about "how do we get His message out?"

If I were to get His message out in 2010, I would look at means that reached groups of peoples I felt called to serve or reach.

The FTA market is not a large segment as things go these days. It is expensive for the end user. It is not a growing technology; rather it is shrinking. It is not portable. It is also crowded for such a small segment of the market. I would avoid it unless there was a compelling niche of identified people who already have FTA systems. And you had a way to let them know about the new channel.

These days a far better approach in my mind are the internet technologies. Much lower startup costs; billions of listeners available; ubiquitous technology for listeners everywhere; and extremely low cost to your potential audience. They already most likely have all it takes to listen. :)

My sister and brother-in-law have done just that. They started a Christian internet radio station in France with the goal of growing to the point of having a real FM allocation there. The internet allowed them to get started, attract listeners, then attract donors based on the listeners; now to get the government approval.

Good luck to you. If you can find several large donors, this could work. Though I question the effectiveness of using this technology. Why release on old fashioned wax cylinders when the whole world has moved to podcasts? :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#29 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

Though I question the effectiveness of using this technology. Why release on old fashioned wax cylinders when the whole world has moved to podcasts? :)

That was my point exactly. The goal should be to make it as easy as possible FOR THE LISTENER to get your programming. FTA satellite audio is FAR down the list of potential methods, while Internet options (live streaming, recorded downloads/podcasts) are much more widely available, much easier for the listeners, and much more in-tune with the lifestyles of the 40-and-younger set.

#30 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

Greetings to All,

I have not posted for a while (things have been going rather fast) but do want to continue this conversation.

We have decided to try to make FTA work for us. If GloryStar and RRsat will work with us we are willing to continue working with them. They have both been very kind and most accommodating thus far and we desire a successful present and future business association.

Secondly, there is a great desire to make FTA work in this ministerial configuration. Thus, we are moving in faith and action. We are praying that God will indeed bless this endeavor. There is a sense among some Christians that this is indeed a critical time for Planet Earth. If additional catastrophic events occurred this year we would not be surprised. (There is a strong sense that God may be tiring of our sins [the sins of some of the inhabitants of Planet Earth]). Thus we must get the gospel out in every possible way. (A day or so before the catastrophe in Haiti I had been moved to preach [via satellite] a sermon stressing the urgency of repentance {even asking, "How do you know how long you have to live?"}]). So, even though we have not received responses from listeners of our Light To Guide Our Feet satellite broadcast, we cannot guarantee that no one in Haiti heard that sermon (since Galaxy 19 covers the Caribbean). It is very possible that someone that was killed in the Haiti catastrophe indeed heard that sermon and is now in Heaven because of that message. This (helping people avoid eternal destruction and suffering [after life on Planet Earth]) is the very essence of the importance of the Light To Guide Our Feet satellite ministry.
There is just a sense that we must remain on satellite. So, we move forward in faith.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Before anyone responds ... a reminder that we don't get into religion in our forums.
So we'll leave the religious views "as stated" and not open to debate here.

DBSTalk does not have a religious view point ... so the ending of religious discussion is not an endorsement or rebuke of the views expressed. Just an ending.

#32 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

RestRefuge,

I would guess someone in your organization would have had a system setup to monitor this.
I scanned 97.
Found 1 name Glorystar OTA 11842,H,22000,3/4

NO Audio or Video.

Dear timekeeper,

You have done us a great service!!! If others would take the time to do as you have done (and report to us) that would be extremely helpful.

I have confidence in both Glorystar and RRsat. That said, I will now launch an intensive investigation to ascertain who has heard us, who is hearing us, and where, etc. Actually, that (finding out whether or not our signal was actually getting out) was my real reason for coming to post on this board. You have responded in exactly the manner I had hoped. Thanks a million!!!

That said, I am a person who likes to fix things. If FTA is broken and needs to be repaired, I am interested in finding out what is broken and working to effect repair. Wasted potential bothers me (and FTA has great potential) and (if what I am reading here is accurate) much of that potential is being wasted.

#33 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

This whole concept, from what I can tell, is really all about "how do we get His message out?"

If I were to get His message out in 2010, I would look at means that reached groups of peoples I felt called to serve or reach.

The FTA market is not a large segment as things go these days. It is expensive for the end user. It is not a growing technology; rather it is shrinking. It is not portable. It is also crowded for such a small segment of the market. I would avoid it unless there was a compelling niche of identified people who already have FTA systems. And you had a way to let them know about the new channel.

These days a far better approach in my mind are the internet technologies. Much lower startup costs; billions of listeners available; ubiquitous technology for listeners everywhere; and extremely low cost to your potential audience. They already most likely have all it takes to listen. :)

My sister and brother-in-law have done just that. They started a Christian internet radio station in France with the goal of growing to the point of having a real FM allocation there. The internet allowed them to get started, attract listeners, then attract donors based on the listeners; now to get the government approval.

Good luck to you. If you can find several large donors, this could work. Though I question the effectiveness of using this technology. Why release on old fashioned wax cylinders when the whole world has moved to podcasts? :)

Peace,
Tom

Dear Tom,

Your information is very logical and very intelligent. I find it very helpful.

Though I know it is (or certainly appears [at this point]) to be a mountain climbing exercise, something in me just won't let me lose faith in the possibilities of FTAs.

Somehow I am taking on this very difficult task (that of making FTA work) with a zeal that is almost unexplainable (due to the apparent lack of logic [as discussed on this board]). I ask the help of everyone who has the capability to access Galaxy 19. My question is this: Is the signal of Light To Guide Our Feet getting out on Galaxy 19 at 97 degrees West?

#34 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

That was my point exactly. The goal should be to make it as easy as possible FOR THE LISTENER to get your programming. FTA satellite audio is FAR down the list of potential methods, while Internet options (live streaming, recorded downloads/podcasts) are much more widely available, much easier for the listeners, and much more in-tune with the lifestyles of the 40-and-younger set.

Dear BattleZone,

Thanks for the past and present conversations.

How can we make sure that the signal of Light To Guide Our Feet is actually getting out on Galaxy 19 at 97 degrees West?

#35 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Dear BattleZone,

Thanks for the past and present conversations.

How can we make sure that the signal of Light To Guide Our Feet is actually getting out on Galaxy 19 at 97 degrees West?

Post the frequency, polarity, and symbol rate, and the APID, and we can scan it, and tell you if its getting out.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

Post the frequency, polarity, and symbol rate, and the APID, and we can scan it, and tell you if its getting out.

Post #1

Galaxy 19, 97 degrees West, Transponder 12060 (Ku band) , Symbol Rate 22,000, FEC 3/4.

GloryStar Channel 1011

#37 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

Post #1

12060 H 22000 APID 3029

6' Prime Focus dish: Signal 81% Quality 56%
36" Offset dish: Signal 79% Quality 60%

Audio: Sounds good.
Subject reading scripture from Romans.

Scans in as "Light to Guide our F" on my Pansat 9200HD

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#38 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:53 AM

Dear Davenlr,

Your kindness in this matter is truly truly appreciated.

You are now a part of the history of Light To Guide Our Feet because you are the first person not affiliated with the companies putting us on to verify that our signal is truly getting out. There are other reasons (some that I cannot express here) that make your verification extremely important.

For almost six months now we have been seeking verification and you are the first to provide that verification.

In order to not be a hypocrit, I must state that I actually have a Glorystar dish but do not have it properly tuned. The young man that installed it made a mistake in the installation and I have not taken the time to correct it. That said, I am more interested in receiving verifications from other locations than from my home location. (I want to know the areas "out there" that we are reaching [including which countries]). That is why your verification is so important.

The primary reason I posted on this board was to find out whether anyone "out there" was receiving us. You have indicated that at least one person "out there" (meaning away from my home) is receiving us. That, as far as I am concerned, is great progress.

Thank you so very very much!!!

#39 OFFLINE   RestRefuge

RestRefuge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:57 AM

Post #1

Dear Mr. Long,

Thank you very much.

#40 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

"...The primary reason I posted on this board was to find out whether anyone "out there" was receiving us. You have indicated that at least one person "out there" (meaning away from my home) is receiving us. That, as far as I am concerned, is great progress."

Not to burst your bubble, but having only one signal verification after weeks and weeks of repeated solicitations on this board does not, in my opinion, constitute "great progress" unless you, by the Lord's arithmetic, consider going from zero to one a seven-fold increase.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...