Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

question about removing deca from my router

ota

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

i apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered in another thread.

when i upgraded to mrv, i included the internet connection kit which has a dca plus power inverter hooked to my router via ethernet.

i really want to dump my internet service provider and home network to so i can use a mobile hotspot from sprint....either my evo or a seperate device.

if i use my phone, i can use up to 8 wireless devices at one time. the hotspot will only use 5.

my question is what would i lose, if i disconnect the deca and power inverter from the router? is it only dtv on demand? or is it the on demand plus stv2pc?

and is there anyway i could use the deca system wirelessly? thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

Someone else would have to speak for the wireless options that you could hook the DECA up to but yes you would lose On Demand, TVApps or anything internet related and Dirctv2PC since it is not on your network anymore. You will not lose MRV!

I bet there is a wireless "hub" you could connect the DECA too.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

You would also lose the ability to play media from your computer to your receiver.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

Without any bridging outside of the DECA network, you won't have the features that require it.
Some have used their DECA to router to connect wirelessly, by connecting it to a wireless adapter, which then connects to their network.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

okay, let me ask this. could i use dtv wirless adapters on my hr23 and hr21 pro to regain on demand plus keep the mrv setup?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

okay, let me ask this. could i use dtv wirless adapters on my hr23 and hr21 pro to regain on demand plus keep the mrv setup?

If you mean could you connect the DECA to one of these to make the wireless hop, sure.
If you mean use the second port on the HR2x to bridge to your home network, it shouldn't be done, is a unsupported method, and could cause several other problems with your network/DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

If you mean could you connect the DECA to one of these to make the wireless hop, sure.
If you mean use the second port on the HR2x to bridge to your home network, it shouldn't be done, is a unsupported method, and could cause several other problems with your network/DVR.

i'm not familiar with the wireless adapter in terms of what, if anything, could be connected to it. are you saying there is a way the adapter could connect to deca? if so, would that enable me to use the hr2x for on demand, without the router?

sorry, if i sould a little dense here!

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

Any wireless gaming adapter would probably work... and then you hook the DECA straight to it. It really is that easy.

#9 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Any wireless gaming adapter would probably work... and then you hook the DECA straight to it. It really is that easy.

thanks stuart

#10 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

be very aware, vod's are quite large and would count against any cap. make sure you are ok in that manner too.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

be very aware, vod's are quite large and would count against any cap. make sure you are ok in that manner too.

Yeah, most likely you'll wanna stay away from the online downloads of VOD .. DIRECTV2PC & MediaShare are OK, though as those features will stay on your local area network.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, most likely you'll wanna stay away from the online downloads of VOD .. DIRECTV2PC & MediaShare are OK, though as those features will stay on your local area network.

i'm not using either media share or dtrv2pc so does that change things at all? thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

i'm not using either media share or dtrv2pc so does that change things at all? thanks.

If you aren't using either of these, then you might be best to just disconnect the internet link altogether. There will still be Cinema titles available to you, but the quantity will be more limited than if you used your WAN connection. If you have unlimited WAN, then it doesn't matter so much other than download speed, but my understanding is that most of the 3G/4G based WAN links have download caps .. Movies will get you there real fast.

So, if you are no VOD, no MediaShare and no DIRECTV2PC and all you want to do is use MRV over DECA .. Set all of your receivers to automatic networking, remove the broadband DECA (internet kit) and you're done. All MRV will work just fine over DECA with no router/Internet connection.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

If you don't use DIRECTV2PC, Media Share, Apps, or On Demand, you won't miss the broadband connection.

#15 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

If you don't use DIRECTV2PC, Media Share, Apps, or On Demand, you won't miss the broadband connection.

i do use the on demand but none of the others.

#16 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Since your router uses NAT, wouldn't the hotspot think that anything coming through the router was from a single device? You could use a wired/DECA network to the router and a wireless adapter to have the router talk to the hotspot.

#17 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

Since your router uses NAT, wouldn't the hotspot think that anything coming through the router was from a single device? You could use a wired/DECA network to the router and a wireless adapter to have the router talk to the hotspot.

first, what's nat?

second, from what you describe above, wouldn't that imply i would still have a router? i'm trying to get rid of the router but keep mrv and on demand.

#18 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

i apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered in another thread.

when i upgraded to mrv, i included the internet connection kit which has a dca plus power inverter hooked to my router via ethernet.

i really want to dump my internet service provider and home network to so i can use a mobile hotspot from sprint....either my evo or a seperate device.

if i use my phone, i can use up to 8 wireless devices at one time. the hotspot will only use 5.

my question is what would i lose, if i disconnect the deca and power inverter from the router? is it only dtv on demand? or is it the on demand plus stv2pc?

and is there anyway i could use the deca system wirelessly? thanks for your help.

first, what's nat? ...

NAT = "Network Address Translation" where the router maintains the one ISP assigned IP address and then translates all legitimate incoming traffic to your home connected network devices (PCs, network printers, Network hard drives, etc.) by converting or "translating" the WWW IP address to an internal IP address somewhere usually in the 192.168.0/1.xxx address range.

... second, from what you describe above, wouldn't that imply i would still have a router? i'm trying to get rid of the router but keep mrv and on demand.

But this would be simplest way to accomplish both these goals, let the router handle the one IP address from the Sprint WiMax hotspot by connecting it to the EVDO modem. And have the modem use it's NAT function to route VOD traffic to any of the satellite receivers in the DECA cloud connected to it.

#19 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

NAT = "Network Address Translation" where the router maintains the one ISP assigned IP address and then translates all legitimate incoming traffic to your home connected network devices (PCs, network printers, Network hard drives, etc.) by converting or "translating" the WWW IP address to an internal IP address somewhere usually in the 192.168.0/1.xxx address range.

But this would be simplest way to accomplish both these goals, let the router handle the one IP address from the Sprint WiMax hotspot by connecting it to the EVDO modem. And have the modem use it's NAT function to route VOD traffic to any of the satellite receivers in the DECA cloud connected to it.

okay let me ask this, if i cancelled my home networking and internet service from my current provider and went to sprint wimax (which will soon be available in my area)....can i provide my own router to accomplish what you are talking about here?

#20 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

okay let me ask this, if i cancelled my home networking and internet service from my current provider and went to sprint wimax (which will soon be available in my area)....can i provide my own router to accomplish what you are talking about here?

That was what I was referring to in my earlier post. I'm not sure how Sprint is setting up WiMax, but with Clear 4G Wimax I have a wireless modem which I connect to my router*(via an ethernet cable) and from there to my computers, DECA adapter and Vonage telephone adapter, just as I did when I had a DSL modem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ota

spam firewall