Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

question about removing deca from my router

ota

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,164 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

That was what I was referring to in my earlier post. I'm not sure how Sprint is setting up WiMax, but with Clear 4G Wimax I have a wireless modem which I connect to my router*(via an ethernet cable) and from there to my computers, DECA adapter and Vonage telephone adapter, just as I did when I had a DSL modem.

pardon my stupid question bob, but does your wireless modem look like a typical modem or does it look similar to sprint's 3g/4g overdrive hotspot?

i need to go to the sprint corporate store to transfer my contacts to my evo so i could get a good, close up look at one of these things.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

What are the make, model, and revision number of your current router? You may be able to set it to bridge and/or wireless client mode, which would connect to Sprint, therefore all devices behind it would be connected to the Internet.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

#23 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

What are the make, model, and revision number of your current router? You may be able to set it to bridge and/or wireless client mode, which would connect to Sprint, therefore all devices behind it would be connected to the Internet.

the current modem/router belongs to the cable company, it isn't mine.

btw, clearire won't work because i would never pass the credit check!

#24 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Since you would have to return your router, I recommend a ZyXel router from Amazon. They may be a bit confusing to set up in bridge mode, but after that they work great and are much cheaper than other solutions.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

#25 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

i do use the on demand but none of the others.

There are two flavors of "on Demand" or what is now called "DIRECTV Cinema" .. There is the broadband type which will use your Internet connection (whatever that may be) and the satellite type which is downloaded via the satellite automatically to a reserved area on your receivers. These are available to you automatically without download (but will likely require you to pay for them).

The latter will not affect the amount of bandwidth you are using. The former will. If your WiMax is unlimited, no worries .. If there is a cap on the amount you can download, then you just need to manage that aspect of it as you see fit as you may be charged extra for your Internet activity if downloading movies via on-demand takes you over that cap. The choice is up to you whether that matters or not.

In any event, if you want to be Internet connected, then you just need to attach the broadband DECA Ethernet port into your WiMax connection device if a port is available .. OR .. if it's WiFi only, then any wireless gaming adapter would be sufficient most likely. It would just need to be configured to attach wirelessly to the WiMax device (configured via PC) and then the Broadband DECA Ethernet would plug into the Wireless Gaming Adapter port.

At that point you'd have full functionality to all Internet resources.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

There are two flavors of "on Demand" or what is now called "DIRECTV Cinema" .. There is the broadband type which will use your Internet connection (whatever that may be) and the satellite type which is downloaded via the satellite automatically to a reserved area on your receivers. These are available to you automatically without download (but will likely require you to pay for them).

The latter will not affect the amount of bandwidth you are using. The former will. If your WiMax is unlimited, no worries .. If there is a cap on the amount you can download, then you just need to manage that aspect of it as you see fit as you may be charged extra for your Internet activity if downloading movies via on-demand takes you over that cap. The choice is up to you whether that matters or not.

In any event, if you want to be Internet connected, then you just need to attach the broadband DECA Ethernet port into your WiMax connection device if a port is available .. OR .. if it's WiFi only, then any wireless gaming adapter would be sufficient most likely. It would just need to be configured to attach wirelessly to the WiMax device (configured via PC) and then the Broadband DECA Ethernet would plug into the Wireless Gaming Adapter port.

At that point you'd have full functionality to all Internet resources.

the on demand that i use isn't the pay per view movies but the channels with programs that can be downloaded to your dvr or receiver. some programs require payment, others are free.

mostly, what i download are concerta that aired on the 101 but sometimes i download a tv program.

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

I guess the bottom line is that the broadband DECA (with the power supply) still needs to be set up in your network .. What needs to change is that the DECA needs to connect to your WiMax "router" instead of your existing router.

What's not clear to me is exactly how your wireless setup will be. I'm sure that there are (or will be) third-part vendors that let you just plug in one of the wireless 4G devices and otherwise act just like the current router you have.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,021 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

Although it may work this way I think its the other way around and only if the Sprint EvDO unit is actually a combo router/modem unit. In this case if you wanted to use a separate external router you would need to setup the combo unit in bridging mode to disable the routing function and let the ethernet cable connected router behind it handle the routing function to the home network.

But as I said this is only if the Sprint EvDO is a combo device. If it is only a modem though as I suspect the it is setup as Bob describes it above.

#29 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

i checked this morning and the spring 46 hotspot only has a mini usb port, no ethernet. i did not enable my evo's hot spot because 4g doesn't officially come to daytona until july and right now, i can't talk and use phone as hot spot at the same time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ota

Protected By... spam firewall...And...