Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Great Installation!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spaceace414

spaceace414

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Installer came out to our newly purchased home in Denver on Friday...window was 8-12...he was there at 8:20am.

I had been hoping that I would get the new HR24 and H24 boxes. I was called on Wednesday from a Denver number and was asked if the installer could come that day as they had a cancellation. Since I had not moved yet, I could not accomodate the request. I had a revelation the next day that the people who called me would know what boxes they put on the trucks for the installers. I called the number back and spoke to a wonderful lady who went and verified what receivers they send out...all NEW customers get the HR24/H24 receivers!

My installer came out and did indeed have the new boxes...so the day was off to a good start. He installed one HR24, two H24s, and one standard receiver. We hooked up the DECA to my router (the Comcast guy was there too and had the Internet up and going quickly...thank goodness). My installer was very nice and answered all my geek questions. I had hinted at the possibility of running some cables myself to the upstairs bedrooms that are not being used right now. So he put in a larger SWM unit for me so I would have extra lines. He also told me that I would need a filter for any stardard box I bought and to make sure they are SWM compatible. He would have given me some filters but did not have any extra with him.

He was here about four hours as he had to track some existing cables and run a few new ones.

It was a great experience all the way around!

Question for you guys....if I purchase a D12 used receiver, will I still have to pay a $5 monthly fee for that receiver, or is that only for leased boxes? I know that I will have to pay $20 for a new access card.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Each additional receiver after your primary is $5 a month. D* calls it a mirroring fee if the receiver is owned and a lease fee if it is leased.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

Installer came out to our newly purchased home in Denver on Friday...window was 8-12...he was there at 8:20am.

I had been hoping that I would get the new HR24 and H24 boxes. I was called on Wednesday from a Denver number and was asked if the installer could come that day as they had a cancellation. Since I had not moved yet, I could not accomodate the request. I had a revelation the next day that the people who called me would know what boxes they put on the trucks for the installers. I called the number back and spoke to a wonderful lady who went and verified what receivers they send out...all NEW customers get the HR24/H24 receivers!

My installer came out and did indeed have the new boxes...so the day was off to a good start. He installed one HR24, two H24s, and one standard receiver. We hooked up the DECA to my router (the Comcast guy was there too and had the Internet up and going quickly...thank goodness). My installer was very nice and answered all my geek questions. I had hinted at the possibility of running some cables myself to the upstairs bedrooms that are not being used right now. So he put in a larger SWM unit for me so I would have extra lines. He also told me that I would need a filter for any stardard box I bought and to make sure they are SWM compatible. He would have given me some filters but did not have any extra with him.

He was here about four hours as he had to track some existing cables and run a few new ones.

It was a great experience all the way around!

Question for you guys....if I purchase a D12 used receiver, will I still have to pay a $5 monthly fee for that receiver, or is that only for leased boxes? I know that I will have to pay $20 for a new access card.

Thanks!

Hey, very happy to hear of your great install experience;

Yes, unfortunately you will still have to pay a monthly fee of $5.00 for the used D12 even if its actually an owned box. DirecTV just changes the official terminology on it by calling it a "mirroring fee."

spam firewall