Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Unusual DECA question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lanthom

Lanthom

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

I was able to get a couple of DECA boxes from someone but haven't had the time to hook them up as of yet. I really needed 3 to get everything hooked up like I want to the interent but I'll deal with 2 right now.

I don't really use DOD on my bedroom box so was just going to hook up the DECA to the 2 HR21's that I have and leave the interent out of the picture for now.

In the mean time is it possible to connect the one box nearest to the router directly through the router and only that box have the interent connection and still use DECA or does the internet have to go through DECA if it's set up? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

So you want to DECA two boxes and have internet only on the third?

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

"Sounds like", what your trying to do is to:
Use DECA from the remote receiver to the router and then go router [ethernet] to your local receiver. If you can power the DECA at the router, this will work.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Lanthom

Lanthom

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

"Sounds like", what your trying to do is to:
Use DECA from the remote receiver to the router and then go router [ethernet] to your local receiver. If you can power the DECA at the router, this will work.

What I'm trying to do is DECA my 2 boxes together and just have internet on one of them hooked up directly to the router, until I can get my hands on a 3rd DECA unit to hook to the router. I don't care if the second box has internet or not at this point.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

What I'm trying to do is DECA my 2 boxes together and just have internet on one of them hooked up directly to the router, until I can get my hands on a 3rd DECA unit to hook to the router. I don't care if the second box has internet or not at this point.

"Yeah" I got that.
What you shouldn't do is to use the second port on the DVR to connect to the internet/ethernet.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

So you want to use the second ethernet port on the receiver to connect to the router? That will actually bridge the DECA cloud to the internet, but is not recommended.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

So you want to use the second ethernet port on the receiver to connect to the router? That will actually bridge the DECA cloud to the internet, but is not recommended.

Since I've actually tried this, DON'T DO IT.
It really causes problems and locked up my whole network several/many times.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,057 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Connecting the DECA, DVR and router together with an ethernet switch will work (but an additional DECA would be better).

#9 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Isn't that what I said?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Isn't that what I said?

I kind of wanted to give a bit more than "not recommended".
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Lanthom

Lanthom

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

But I should be able to plug in port 1 to the router and that particular box should have network access right? I'm not worried about adding networking to the entire deca cloud as of now (I will be ordering another DECA and getting that added). I just would like to be able to use DoD as my son is a spongebob fanatic and watches from DoD at least once a day.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

But I should be able to plug in port 1 to the router and that particular box should have network access right? I'm not worried about adding networking to the entire deca cloud as of now (I will be ordering another DECA and getting that added). I just would like to be able to use DoD as my son is a spongebob fanatic and watches from DoD at least once a day.

You can plug that receiver into either your router or a DECA adapter, but not both.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

This was what I tried to say in my first post. Remote receiver [DECA] to router and local receiver off the router.
You need to power the DECA at the router and also block the DECA signal to the local receiver's SAT input. Connecting a DECA to the local receiver, running its output to the router and then another ethernet cable from the router to the local receiver's port 1, should "cover it".
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

I realize that you are not interested in having internet access for the entire DECA cloud until you get a third dongle. But the irony here is that with only two dongles and your desire for internet access to only one receiver requires you to hook up the receivers in a way that will still give web access to both boxes regardless.

Where one receiver connects to the router through DECA, with one dongle on a receiver and another at the router. Then the other receiver is connected by ethernet cable to another port on the router.

The difference here from the formal DECA configuration using the third dongle is that any MRV data between the boxes must flow through the ethernet switch on the router instead of being outside and isolated from it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...