Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2010 World Cup Soccer - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

"IF" US Soccer makes it to the 2nd round who here thinks that is a successful World Cup?

I would hope they could at least make it to the semi-final (remembering their victory over Spain in Confed Cup last year AND the fact that they led Brasil 2-0 at half-time in the final of that competition). Also remembering their 2002 quarterfinal appearance, and almost taking it to extra-time against Germany in that match, except for the Scottish referee robbing them on a non-called handball.

I'm hoping the 2006 World Cup was an aberration in this regard.

Granted, they're very weak on player depth in this tournament. Especially very shaky back-line(s), and very inexperienced group of forwards. The midfield and goalkeeper positions are reasonably solid. But if there are any player injuries or suspensions, it would leave them extremely vulnerable in terms of remaining player quality. They're nowhere close to other world class teams like Argentina, Spain, Brasil, Italy, Germany, England in that regard.

Having said that, you've got to set your standards high. Remember Greece in Euro 2004? Nobody gave them a whiff of a chance before that tournament started. But they lifted that trophy by playing some ugly football. Likewise, I bet nobody before 2002 World Cup gave USA a chance of beating Portugal and then Mexico in second round. Nobody in their right mind would claim USA plays the best or "most attractive" brand of football. But I suppose the tournament is not about deciding that. It's about winning matches.

A goal is a goal is a goal. An ugly scored goal or even an own goal would count just as much as some beautiful creativity by Leo Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Diego Milito, Wayne Rooney, Fernando Torres .... Let's see how the games turn out. I'm for sure keeping my optimism before their matches start.

Edited by Chandu, 11 June 2010 - 02:40 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

2 games 2 draws

JACK,

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

The second game was a snoozefest.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

...but the announcers kept on whining about the call.

To be fair, I think it was only singular "announcer" instead of plural "announcers". That is the color guy Ekoku. I don't recall PBP guy Martin Tyler whine about it like Ekoku. But Tyler didn't clear up that simple matter either. Maybe he thought it was beneath him to insult Ekoku, educating him on live TV. I wouldn't have thought so if he did that. In my opinion, it would've been professional of Tyler to clear up the matter immediately. Maybe his apparent silence on the issue can count as "whining".

Anyway, that's as much I'll say about that topic.

Edited by Chandu, 11 June 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

The second game was a snoozefest.

Hahahaha, Thierry Henry claiming non-called handball on the Uruguayan defender in the box late in the match?!?!?!?! (Soon after my mention of non-called German handball call against USA by Hugh Dallas in 2002 quarter final.)

Is that poetic justice for Henry?!?!?!?! I would think so. France don't deserve to be there in the first place. It should've been the Republic of Ireland playing there in their place. What goes around comes around. I hope France have a repeat of their pathetic showing in 2002, and not like being 2006 runners-up.

#26 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

To be fair, I think it was only singular "announcer" instead of plural "announcers". That is the color guy Ekoku. I don't recall PBP guy Martin Tyler whine about it like Ekoku. But Tyler didn't clear up that simple matter either. Maybe he thought it was beneath him to insult Ekoku, educating him on live TV. I wouldn't have thought so if he did that. In my opinion, it would've been professional of Tyler to clear up the matter immediately. Maybe his apparent silence on the issue can count as "whining".

Anyway, that's as much I'll say about that topic.

No on UniVision the announcers were Whining, about the call, so I switched back to ESPN. Ekoku several times during the match brought up the taken away goal for Mexico, but it wasn't his whining, I was talking about, it was the whining on UniVision that made me switch back to ESPN.

I could "understand" Univision announcers, as the passion of the game catching up with thier team.
ESPN just needs to hire some REAL announcers, they didn't have the right people last time, and they still don't. Just because somebody has an english accent, doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about.

#27 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

No on UniVision the announcers were Whining, about the call, so I switched back to ESPN. Ekoku several times during the match brought up the taken away goal for Mexico, but it wasn't his whining, I was talking about, it was the whining on UniVision that made me switch back to ESPN.

Oh OK, got you. Sorry for misunderstanding the other way round.

In that case, I'm hardly surprised. Univision guys are paid to be homers for Mexico. And if Mexico are eliminated, then Brasil or Argentina.

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

Is Brasil not as great as past years? I remember being in aw of Ronaldo, Danielson, etc.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

Is Brasil not as great as past years? I remember being in aw of Ronaldo, Danielson, etc.

I think he was referring, to how the UniVision annoucers, would change how thier Fanboy bias may come out in order, of Mexico, Brasil, then Argentina.
Not which teams are better.
:D:lol::D

#30 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Hahahaha, Thierry Henry claiming non-called handball on the Uruguayan defender in the box late in the match?!?!?!?! (Soon after my mention of non-called German handball call against USA by Hugh Dallas in 2002 quarter final.)

Is that poetic justice for Henry?!?!?!?! I would think so. France don't deserve to be there in the first place. It should've been the Republic of Ireland playing there in their place. What goes around comes around. I hope France have a repeat of their pathetic showing in 2002, and not like being 2006 runners-up.

I hope France dosent make it out of this round

JACK,

#31 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

For me, Kaka is way up there in quality, absolutely top notch. I remember him single-handedly burning American midfield and defenders in the Confed Cup final 2nd half last year. It was like watching a knife go through butter through the left side of the pitch. Man, did it hurt to see that!!!!! But it was some absolutely beautiful football, 24K quality. The American defenders/midfielders were huffing and puffing. They didn't know what hit them. To be fair to them, after being unexpectedly 2-0 up at halftime, they were complacent and tired. I suppose that's as far as their player depth could take them. Good on them for that. Those 45 mins showed the difference between a world class team like Brasil, and a reasonably solid team like USA.

Of course, I'm not drawing everything about Brasil based on that single match alone. There has been tougher quality opposition for Brasil than USA. I'm just giving that match as a singular example of world class of players like Kaka.

BTW Denilson was always more hype than actual substance. He could never walk his (or his admirers') talk.

Ronaldo "of the fat variety" was superb quality back when he played for Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven. I know he had a break-out 2002 World Cup. But that was around the time he started going mentally weird (with the embarrassing haircut) and becoming fatter. Or maybe since his bizarre non-show in the 1998 final against France. Some people believed Nike conducted psychological manipulation experiments on him just before that match kicked off.

Edited by Chandu, 11 June 2010 - 05:26 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

I hope France dosent make it out of this round

RSA and Uraguay making it out of Group A, would be FANTASTIC. I even have it in my bracket that way.

#33 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

I think he was referring, to how the UniVision annoucers, would change how thier Fanboy bias may come out in order, of Mexico, Brasil, then Argentina.
Not which teams are better.
:D:lol::D

:lol: I know that. I was just asking about Brazil's team.

#34 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Go Nigeria!!! Argentina is going down tomorrow

Is Tevez a starter for Argentina tomorrow, alongside Messi? What an embarrassment of riches Argentina have! Diego Milito (superstar of Champions League final for Inter Milan few weeks ago) isn't available because he is injured. On paper, it hardly matters for a team as deep as Argentina.

But as their schizophrenic qualification process showed, they also have an idiot for a manager in Maradona. Given that this will be Nigeria's first World Cup match on African soil, anything is possible.

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

For me, Kaka is way up their in quality, absolutely top notch. I can remember him single-handedly burning American midfield and defenders in the Confed Cup final 2nd half last year. It was like watching a knife go through butter through the left side of the pitch. Man, did it hurt to see that!!!!! But it was some absolutely beautiful football, 24K quality. The American defenders/midfielders were huffing and puffing. They didn't know what hit them. To be fair to them, after being unexpectedly 2-0 up at halftime, they were complacent and tired. I suppose that's as far as their player depth could take them. Good on them for that. Those 45 mins showed the difference between a world class team like Brasil, and a reasonably solid team like USA.

Of course, I'm not drawing everything about Brasil based on that single match alone. There has been tougher quality opposition for Brasil than USA. I'm just giving that match as a singular example of world class of players like Kaka.

BTW Denilson was always more hype than actual substance. He could never walk his (or his admirers') talk.

Ronaldo "of the fat variety" was superb quality back when he played for Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven. I know he had a break-out 2002 World Cup. But that was around the time he started going mentally weird (with the embarrassing haircut) and becoming fatter. Or maybe since his bizarre non-show in the 1998 final against France. Some people believed Nike conducted psychological manipulation experiments on him just before that match kicked off.

I was reading about what Ronaldinho was up to these days, trying to see if he made the team (I'm not a footy expert like you guys). I saw this:

Critics have claimed that the exclusion of players such as Ronaldinho, Pato, Adriano and Ronaldo signals a move away from the classic Brazilian attacking "Joga Bonito" style of play.

Too bad, they were fun to watch.

#36 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

Critics have claimed that the exclusion of players such as Ronaldinho, Pato, Adriano and Ronaldo signals a move away from the classic Brazilian attacking "Joga Bonito" style of play.

Too bad, they were fun to watch.

Yeah. I don't see Rivaldo's name in that list. He was wonderfully talented as well. Except that I lost all respect for him after his pathetic diving and cheating against Turkey in 2002 World Cup.

#37 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

RSA and Uraguay making it out of Group A, would be FANTASTIC. I even have it in my bracket that way.

Who do you have winning it?

JACK,

#38 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

Who do you have winning it?

I have Germany winning it all.
Has as much to do with family and tradition than anything else.

#39 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

I have Germany winning it all.
Has as much to do with family and tradition than anything else.

Good man! :goodjob:

#40 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

Good man! :goodjob:

My daughter wore her Germany jersey to school today. Backlash from some students, and friendly harrassement from English, History teacher.

Heading to a Arena Soccer game here in about 20 minutes. Normally I wear a big Yellow jersey with a Red bullseye on it in goal. Tonight I am wearing MY Germany Jersey.

We could almost start a thread, what world soccer and Rugby teams do you follow and why.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...