Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2010 World Cup Soccer - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

Yes, it's getting down to the wire. On December 1st (Wednesday), all parties involved will be making their presentations. [Not 100% sure, but think it will be at FIFA's headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.] I hear Bill Clinton will be personally present to make the presentation for USA. There is way too much politics going on regarding this, which is hardly a surprise. Spain-Portugal combined bid for 2018 have openly declared that they will support Qatar for 2022, should they win for 2018. I can't for the life of me see Qatar winning against USA. But stranger things have happened.

Our bid's president Sunil Gulati (yes, the same incompetent Sunil Gulati - the US Soccer president who should've been fired by now) gave a statement sounding of defeat. :mad: :nono: :( Something to the effect of - "We're doing everything we can with the strongest case. But beyond that there are political forces out of our control, which we may not be able to do anything about."

Counting down in anticipation, tick tock, tick tock.....

Edited by Chandu, 29 November 2010 - 01:50 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

Yes, it's confirmed on the bid website indeed. Bill Clinton will be giving presentation speech on behalf of USA 2022. (I guess they don't really need his expertise for damage control about the wikileaks mess. Anyway, don't want to go off on a political tangent, as it's strictly a no-no on these boards. ;)) Landon Donovan has flown to Switzerland with him as well, and may speak too. I'm not convinced Landon's speaking skills are as good as his playing skills. So I don't know if it's good or bad. For whatever it's worth. :D

Edited by Chandu, 30 November 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#403 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

Yes, it's confirmed on the bid website indeed. Bill Clinton will be giving presentation speech on behalf of USA 2022. (I guess they don't really need his expertise for damage control due about the wikileaks mess. Anyway, don't want to go off on a political tangent, as it's strictly a no-no on these boards. ;)) Landon Donovan has flown to Switzerland with him as well, and may speak too. I'm not convinced Landon's speaking skills are as good as his playing skills. So I don't know if it's good or bad. For whatever it's worth. :D

He should bring his wife, or are they split? She'd help get my vote! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#404 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

Whoa, you had me confused there as wasn't sure whose wife you were referring to - Bill Clinton's or Landon Donovan's!!!! :D Clinton's wife is headed not to Switzerland, but somewhere to Pakistan or Uzbekistan I guess; to deal with the wikileaks mess!! I don't think she would be needed for something far less important as a FIFA 2022 bid!! :sure: About this other woman's pictures you posted, I believe she's Landon's ex-wife and not wife. :lol:

So are you saying if she wasn't there, you wouldn't vote in favor of USA!?! :confused: :eek2:

Edited by Chandu, 30 November 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#405 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

She's Hot

JACK,

#406 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

OK, so the FIFA HQ is in Zurich NOT Geneva. Anyway.....

AND THE WINNER IS....

Following the presentations on Thursday, Dec. 2, each of the FIFA Executive Committee members will vote for their selected host nation for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups. The voting process could take several rounds before winners are decided as a majority of 12 votes are required to secure the bid. After the secret ballots are tallied, FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter will announce the winners. Here’s all you need to know about the announcement for both World Cups:

When:

The announcement is expected at approximately 4 p.m. local (10 a.m. ET which means 7 AM Pacific). FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter will open the envelopes to reveal the names of the winners before the live audience in the exhibition center and across the world.

How to Follow:

The event will be carried live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, Fox Soccer Channel, FOX Deportes, CNN International and Univision, as well as on FIFA.com.

Apart from Clinton, Landon Donovan (and other US soccer people such as Gulati, Don Garber); the US Attorney General Eric Holder will be in Zurich as well for supporting the bid. That one sounds a bit weird, not sure what his purpose being there is. I suppose it is for convincing FIFA that the law and order situation, security against any terrorists threats will all be handled smoothly.

And last but not the least, a Hollywood entry added to the list as well:

Morgan Freeman (the American who portraied Nelson Mandela in Invictus Rugby World Cup movie). I don't have the faintest clue how much value him being there is going to add. But it is what it is.

All the preparations that needed to be done are done. All the last minute greasing and wheeling and dealing will start now. All assured, come Thursday morning I'll be sitting alert with rabbit pointy ears in front of the TV!

#407 OFFLINE   Mikemok1981

Mikemok1981

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

The day is here, the day is here! Just 1 and half more hours till we know.

#408 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

:nono: :(

What more is there to say?

Funny for Bill Clinton's involvement. All for nothing, thanks much for your help though.

#409 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

What a shame

JACK,

#410 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

I hate FIFA.

Where's the smiley for 'hate'? Bunch of corrupt, no-gooders. They even put the IOC - Olympics guys to shame.

#411 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Still cant believe it The Middle East?

JACK,

#412 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

President Obama slams FIFA's voting/decision

US President Barack Obama said he felt Fifa had made "the wrong decision" in awarding the 2022 tournament to Qatar.

At least he agrees.

Not that anything good will come out of it. Looking ahead, 2026 should already be a lock for China. So the earliest US can now hope is 2030 - which is an incredible 20 more years away!! And that too may not happen. So it's only a pipe dream.

A dark, dark day indeed.

Edited by Chandu, 08 December 2010 - 09:38 PM.

#413 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

FIFA faces calls to investigate fresh bribery claims

FIFA was facing fresh bribery claims Sunday after a whistle-blower accused two executive members of the international soccer body of striking deals worth $1.5 million for their votes ahead of last week's contest to host the World Cup.

The whistle-blower, a former employee of one of the bid teams, was present at meetings this year when offers of cash for votes were allegedly made.

"It was basically money for their votes," said the whistle-blower, who fears reprisals from the former employees and does not wish to be identified.

Hmm, I wonder if the whistle-blower provided that information to WikiLeaks; and honestly don't know if I should laugh or cry about this rumor.

While:

Sepp Blatter: FIFA not corrupt

Sepp Blatter insists FIFA is not corrupt, saying world soccer's governing body just needs to improve its image following World Cup hosting votes tainted by allegations of corruption.

"I'll say it clearly: There is no systematic corruption at FIFA. That's nonsense," Blatter told the Weltwoche weekly. "We are financially clean and transparent."

"We can't go on like this. We need to improve our image," he said. "We also need to set some things straight inside FIFA."

Yeah, right!

#414 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

That is so crazy

JACK,

#415 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:32 AM

:mad: :mad: :mad:

U.S. Soccer has agreed to a contract extension with #USMNT head coach Bob Bradley through the end of 2014.

This clearly shows lack of vision by morons up there who're running USSF. In particular, it's Sunil Gulati; who is only interested in keeping status quo.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Oh man, it's the soap opera that will never end; maybe this time for the better. :lol:

Jürgen Klinsmann was interviewed yesterday about what went on behind the scenes between him and Sunil Gulati, before the Bradley contract renewal was announced. In the interview, Klinsmann predictably blasts the entire USSF setup and throws the dimwit Sunil Gulati under the bus as he should have.

Sports Illustrated's Grant Wahl throws more mud into the gossip mill. Now, I only hope someone from ESPN gets in on this soon.

US Soccer Opaque as ever on Klinsmann

Which seems only short while ago, but now: Can finally introduce the new USA coach. The one and only Jürgen Klinsmannnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Posted Image

USA sack coach Bob Bradley

The United States have parted company with head coach Bob Bradley, after a five-year spell. For U.S. soccer fans, the scene was tough to watch: Archrival Mexico celebrating a Gold Cup victory on American soil, cheered on by a largely pro-Mexico crowd at the Rose Bowl. ...the U.S. team's progress has stalled under Bradley. Bradley was a divisive figure. He will be remembered for losing to an underappreciated Ghana side in extra time in the second round of the 2010 World Cup when the bracket was widely believed to have parted for the U.S. He'll be remembered for giving up a 2-0 lead in the Confederations Cup final to Brazil. And he'll be remembered for squandering that same lead against Mexico in the 2011 Gold Cup final in which he allegedly pushed for more goals, rather than focusing on maintaining a lead.

Klinsmann named new USA boss

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Only question is, what took so long for Sunil Gulati to figure this out? 1 year too late, but I suppose better late than never. Seems like finally a start of something new and exciting for US national team. I'm really looking forward for a glorious period ahead!!!

Edited by Chandu, 31 July 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#416 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Can a mod please change the thread title to from 2010 to 2014 for the upcoming World Cup in 3 weeks. Thanks

JACK,

#417 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Can a mod please change the thread title to from 2010 to 2014 for the upcoming World Cup in 3 weeks. Thanks

why not create a new thread

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...