Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quick question about HD upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi. First time poster, long time lurker. :)

I currently have an 18 inch dish and a D10 SD receiver. I am planning on upgrading to HD, but I am going to go via a local retailer instead of calling D* because I have specific requirements that I want. (My current dish is on a pole next to the house, and I only want a pole mount for the new dish. Roof install is not an option).

Anyway, since I'm doing the upgrade via a local retailer, is there anything I need to be aware of or tell D* so that it goes ok? Will the retailer take my D10 receiver, or do I need to tell D* so that they send a box to get it?

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

The retailer should not accept used receivers. When you call to deactivate the D10, the csr will let you know if it is owned or leased. If leased, they will send you a box with a Fedex label to return it. The H24 is the latest & greatest Directv HD receiver. I would recommend getting an H24 online, since they are not available at regular retail stores.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

The installer should know this, but so that you do and can be prepared, the pole diameter for your current dish is smaller than the pole diameter for the HD dishes. You will need a new pole, or possibly a larger "sleeve" pipe over your current pole.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hi. First time poster, long time lurker. :)

I currently have an 18 inch dish and a D10 SD receiver. I am planning on upgrading to HD, but I am going to go via a local retailer instead of calling D* because I have specific requirements that I want. (My current dish is on a pole next to the house, and I only want a pole mount for the new dish. Roof install is not an option).

Anyway, since I'm doing the upgrade via a local retailer, is there anything I need to be aware of or tell D* so that it goes ok? Will the retailer take my D10 receiver, or do I need to tell D* so that they send a box to get it?

Thanks in advance!

:welcome_s

If you ever plan to or think you ever might get more than one receiver and/or DVR, be sure to have the local installer install a SWM-LNB. Not the standard 3 or 5 LNB which will support up to 4 receivers. This provides compatibility to the Multi-Room viewing capability now available.

If you are getting a DVR and at least additional receiver, have the installation include the DECA boxes now. This cost $3 a month but if you don't do it now, the later installation could cost you $149. Unless you get only H24's or HR24's (DVR) then you don't need the DECA boxes.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,724 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

You are going enjoy HD. Do you got a nice flat screen to go with DirecTV HD?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info and for the welcome. It's not a done deal because there could be interference from a tree. I won't know until they make sure.

I've been watching SD on an HDTV for some time now and am looking forward to a much better picture.

#7 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

My HD was installed yesterday. Paid full price, but that's what I expected going through a business rather than D*. I received a slimline dish (not SWMline) and an H24.

I am concerned a bit about the signal strength on one of the satellites, since they are in the 70-80 range. It could be because of a tree in my yard, but I don't know. I'll see how it impacts my viewing.

I do love the picture though! :) Thanks again for all of your comments.

#8 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

My HD was installed yesterday. Paid full price, but that's what I expected going through a business rather than D*. I received a slimline dish (not SWMline) and an H24.

I am concerned a bit about the signal strength on one of the satellites, since they are in the 70-80 range. It could be because of a tree in my yard, but I don't know. I'll see how it impacts my viewing.

I do love the picture though! :) Thanks again for all of your comments.

70 - 80 is a wee bit low. not really bad, but a wee bit
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

spam firewall