Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Install issue

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

I just want to get this install over with.

I have rescheduled my deca upgrade 2 times now and taken 3 days off work. Each time the installer shows up he does not have a swim 16 or any swim equipment. I need a swim 16. Tomorrows installer actually has swim equipment but no 16. Managed to get his number from the last guy.
He says 2 swim 8 units will work. Loads more expensive for dtv. The big issue is that the work order does not show a swim upgrade. I have called CS many times to add it and each time it turns out that since mrv is already activated from beta, swim auto shows on my account so an upgrade cant be added. So its written in the notes and each csr vows that it will be correct for the installer and each time they are wrong. Yes i know this has got to be fixable but the 5 csrs i have talked to so far were all clueless.

Tomorrows installer says he can fix the work order, just a pain.

My question is, with 2 swim 8 how do you bridge them properly for deca? will he have to add 2 deca units, 1 for each swim, or just bridge them with a splitter? All this extra junk i want to make sure it works. He says that once this work order is closed he can schedule a second order for just the 16 and come back to fix it. From all the conversations it sounds to me like the installers are just dragging their feet for they wont get paid for it.

Have read posts about disappearing units from the network and want to get it right the first time.

Any proper diagram for 2 swim 8 units and a slimline 5 with deca? Yes im keeping the 5 lnb!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

Installing 2 SWM8's would not be correct, and is contrary to D* policy. Make them install a SWiM-16. :rant:

If he installs two 'Broadband DECAs' (i.e., DECAs with a power supply), each connected to your Home Network and to one of the SWM8s, that would effectively bridge the two DECA clouds. (SWM8s may need Band Stop filters, SWiM-16s do not).

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Installing 2 SWM8's would not be correct, and is contrary to D* policy. Make them install a SWiM-16. :rant:

If he installs two 'Broadband DECAs' (i.e., DECAs with a power supply), each connected to your Home Network and to one of the SWM8s, that would effectively bridge the two DECA clouds. (SWM8s may need Band Stop filters, SWiM-16s do not).

But then all of the DECA traffic is going through the router.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

So, 2 SWM-8s work?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

But then all of the DECA traffic is going through the router.

No, only the traffic between boxes on different SWM8s (just like it does on the 'bridge' between the two internal SWM8s in the SWiM-16).

So, 2 SWM-8s work?

They can be made to work, but it's not a D* supported configuration.

#6 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

So, 2 SWM-8s work?

While he may get 2 SWM-8s to work, it is not a DirecTV supported configuration. If he is paying DirecTV for a supported configuration, he should get a supported configuration.
DogLover

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

So is he telling the truth that he can make a new work order to fix it correctly, or is it just smoke?

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

So, 2 SWM-8s work?

By installing two DECA dongles at the ethernet switch/router yes. But it is certainly not an ideal situation since the MRV DECA data must flow through the switch for any inter-cloud MRV transfers between receivers.

But again as was stated, it is supposed to be against official DirecTV policy now to parallel SWM-8s.

#9 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

No, only the traffic between boxes on different SWM8s (just like it does on the 'bridge' between the two internal SWM8s in the SWiM-16).

Right, I get that. It is still not optimal. You will still have a bunch of traffic running through the router. Much better to isolate the MRV traffic to the DECA cloud.

#10 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:23 AM

Finally got installed. My appointment was for 4-8 and he arrived around 6:30.
Took 2 hrs, but 1 1/2 hrs was on the phone with dtv to get the new receiver activated. The whole lockup debacle today with dvrs had them swamped and even the dtv website is down right now.

The installer i was talking to originally never showed. He called in and declined the install and so an installer from Phoenix witch is 300 miles away came instead. He was assigned 4 other deca installs today prior to me as well. He had never seen a swim 16. He had to have his boss drive it up this morning but it worked out.

Now i have 2 last issues. The swim 16 is HOT! it is 95 out right now suns down but the unit is in a shaded overhang with good ventilation, i would say the swim is around 170. Too hot to touch for more then a second. Im afraid of it when its 120 out here. Anyone else with the unit running way to hot? Normal?

Second issue. I had a d10 OWNED unit and it was replaced with a d12 since the d10 was not swim compatible. They turned it on as a lease and will not change it to owned! The csr i got was filling in due to the high call volume. Should i call back and get them to change it to owned, or is this correct and it will only be a lease?

#11 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

Don't touch it :D A lot of this SWM/DECA stuff seems to run hot. They are designed to be put in hot attics where there may be no ventilation so I am sure it will be fine outside in the breeze in the shade.

I called around and asked several people in the actual access card department where they deem receivers leased or owned the other day. They all told me that replacements in this particular situation will be leased, since it was a customer requested upgrade. Needless to say I didn't order the MRV upgrade, I am not giving up my perfectly fine owned R15s for leased R16s and have to pay to have that privilege.

#12 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:53 AM

I learned along time ago not to touch anything metal without gloves out here in the summer. Just a little shocked that its that hot an hour after install and it was nice and cool during install.

This lease really ticked me off. I was not informed of it at the time i ordered the upgrade. The first csr i had talked today that deactivated the old unit and turned it on told me nothing about it either and even transferred me to the access card department to change it over to owned.

Will the legacy ports on the 16 act as a switch? I will reactivate my 10 and hook its line up send this leased box back. OR are the legacy ports a pass through for the sat line?

#13 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Solved!
Hooked the line up to the legacy port. D10 has signal. Called reactivated it and deactivated the d12. They are sending a recovery kit for the d12.

They can keep the lease!

Anyone know if i can hook my old legacy 8 way switch to the swim legacy ports and will it work properly?

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Anyone know if i can hook my old legacy 8 way switch to the swim legacy ports and will it work properly?

Yes, I know.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...