Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just Got an HDTV and I Have a Few Questions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just got an HDTV. The TV is in our living room which is also home to our DVR receiver. I'm not exactly sure the specific model for the receiver, but we just got DirecTV back 3 months ago so I'm sure it's whatever the current non-HD receiver is.

We hooked it up with the RCA cables and the picture looks pretty meh. My mother doesn't want to pay the extra cost to get an HD receiver so I'm trying to maximize what I can with what I have. I hooked my Xbox360 up to it via component and it looks fantastic. Can the non-HD DVR support that? What about S-Video? For a hail mary what about HDMI? What is the max resolution this can output? 480P?

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

Standard def looks crappy on HD sets. You can get free HD for 24 months if you do auto-pay. You might get a free upgrade. Call Directv.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just got an HDTV. The TV is in our living room which is also home to our DVR receiver. I'm not exactly sure the specific model for the receiver, but we just got DirecTV back 3 months ago so I'm sure it's whatever the current non-HD receiver is.

We hooked it up with the RCA cables and the picture looks pretty meh. My mother doesn't want to pay the extra cost to get an HD receiver so I'm trying to maximize what I can with what I have. I hooked my Xbox360 up to it via component and it looks fantastic. Can the non-HD DVR support that? What about S-Video? For a hail mary what about HDMI? What is the max resolution this can output? 480P?

Thanks for any help.

Your picture quality will improve with s-video and component. As for HDMI it will provide 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p providing your new HDTV does likewise. For your info DirecTV is giving free HD access to those who use auto pay. There is a thread on this site where this is being discussed. Go to the home page and you will see it there on the right side of the page. Good luck getting your mom to upgrade.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Right, but the OP currently only has an SD-DVR, which can only output in 480i, with S-Video being the highest-quality connection.

As sigma stated, SD looks bad on any HDTV, but worse on larger ones. It won't get better, so the solution is to upgrade to HD.

#5 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

Right, but the OP currently only has an SD-DVR, which can only output in 480i, with S-Video being the highest-quality connection.

As sigma stated, SD looks bad on any HDTV, but worse on larger ones. It won't get better, so the solution is to upgrade to HD.

He might have a refurb R22. :P
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#6 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

Slaver we need the model but yes sd looks terrible on hdtv. Xbox 360 & ps3 do hd. Wi doesn't. Upgrade the sat hardware. For cabling hdmi carries best audio and video. Red, blue, green component will carry hd but s-video/yellow rca won't. Use digital audio instead of red/white stereo when possible.

#7 OFFLINE   Directvlover

Directvlover

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

What's the point in getting the HDTV without getting the HD service to go with it. Tell your mom that she's basically wasted her money on the new tv.

#8 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Do you have an old over the air antenna that you could hook up to the TV's digital tuner and see if you can get any local stations via OTA? If yes then at least you'd have your local channels in HD (assuming they broadcast in HD) and if mom like it maybe she'd pop for the HD upgrade.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

Well, I have an R22 connected to my 42" HDTV via HDMI and I think the picture looks just fine. Even with the so-called "free HD" for 2 years offer, I can't justify the cost to upgrade to an HD DVR and a new 2 year commitment.

Of note, I did have one of my R15's hooked to the HDTV before shuffling the R22 to that room and it didn't look that bad either using S-VIDEO.

I noticed that Consumer Reports ratings for HDTV's have a column indicating how SD looks on the set and it varies widely by brand and model. When shopping for my HDTV, the store had (of all things) an HR-21 feeding all the HDTV's and the salesman let me switch it between SD and HD. WOW what a difference on some TV's but very little on others. I paid a couple hundred dollars more for one of the HDTV's that had a great SD picture (a Toshiba Regza). The cheaper Toshiba looked like an out-of-focus movie when fed an SD signal.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

If the OP has an R22, he could get a resolution of 480p, which is what I do. In that case, the OP could use component cables or HDMI and the picture should look pretty good.

However, I would agree with trying to upgrade. The OP might be able to get an HD receiver at a good price and having the HD fee waived for two years is a good incentive. Plus, hopefully, the HD fee will be gone after that point in time for everyone.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

However, I would agree with trying to upgrade. The OP might be able to get an HD receiver at a good price and having the HD fee waived for two years is a good incentive. Plus, hopefully, the HD fee will be gone after that point in time for everyone.

- Merg

The key word here is TRYING. I'll bet with this "free HD" fiasco upgrades are going for full price ($199 for a DVR + new 2 year commitment). And you only get 24 months of guaranteed "free HD".

That's a lot of money not to mention the commitment for a bit clearer picture on the same channels you already pay for.

I think if I was an "HD fanatic" like many other posters here, I'd switch to DISH Network with a FREE HD DVR install and guaranteed free HD for life not to mention their great rate for the first year...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

The key word here is TRYING. I'll bet with this "free HD" fiasco upgrades are going for full price ($199 for a DVR + new 2 year commitment). And you only get 24 months of guaranteed "free HD".

That's a lot of money not to mention the commitment for a bit clearer picture on the same channels you already pay for.

I think if I was an "HD fanatic" like many other posters here, I'd switch to DISH Network with a FREE HD DVR install and guaranteed free HD for life not to mention their great rate for the first year...

Understatement of the millenium.

EDIT: FWIW, 720p is 6x and 1080i is 6.75x the resolution of SD. That's just a touch more than "a bit". ;)

Edited by hilmar2k, 10 June 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for any help.

I don't understand why you were not offered the HD Receiver when you signed up for Directv.

Like others said here you can get 2 years free HD Access,However in your case i would try for "FREE ACCESS FOR LIFE" since you're a Directv Customer for only 3 months.
'
If they tell you no on the "FREE ACCESS FOR LIFE" have them transfer you to Customer retention.

You never know unless you ask.

#14 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

I don't understand why you were not offered the HD Receiver when you signed up for Directv.

Because, as per the original post, at that time he didn't have a HDTV.

#15 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Because, as per the original post, at that time he didn't have a HDTV.

So he could have got the HD Receiver, if they knew she was getting a HDTV.

#16 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

There's no point to having an HDTV if you don't have HD service. I would call DirecTV and see what kind of deals they have for upgrading to an HD receiver and sign up for the free HD service by going paperless.

#17 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for any help.

My mother has Comcast Cable, YUK.
Her old TV died and she got a new one, HD Samsung.
We let her look at it with the cable screwed directly to the TV for about 2 weeks.
Then we convinced her that she would just love the HD.
My mother is 86 and still insisted she did not want or need it.
My sister had them come out and install the HD box.
The service rep told her before he started that she would see a big difference.
He installed and set it up.
He then showed her the same channels she was watching, In SD.
She said she did not see any difference. He then turned to the HD channel that was the same show.
She said WOW, That lady is old and wrinkled like me.
They laughed and she said YEP, I could not see that on the other channel.
She now brags about her picture on her HD set and has told all her sisters and brothers about it ( they were all using SD on their HD sets), because they did not want to pay the extra.

Good luck

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

There's no point to having an HDTV if you don't have HD service. I would call DirecTV and see what kind of deals they have for upgrading to an HD receiver and sign up for the free HD service by going paperless.

I actually had HD receivers before I had HDTVs. But once I install my first HDTV, I quickly replaced all my other SD televisions.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

I have a HDTV and don't have Directv HD, but i have HD OTA.

#20 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

So he could have got the HD Receiver, if they knew she was getting a HDTV.

I don't think that we can tell from the OP "if" they knew she was going to be getting a HDTV. Besides, if I remember correctly, it's D*'s policy to not install an HD receiver unless the customer actually has a HDTV.

spam firewall