Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just Got an HDTV and I Have a Few Questions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

I don't think that we can tell from the OP "if" they knew she was going to be getting a HDTV. Besides, if I remember correctly, it's D*'s policy to not install an HD receiver unless the customer actually has a HDTV.

Well that didn't happen in my case. As SD receivers brokedown, D* replace 'em with HD. Not once did I ask for HD. When I did expand, I did select HD receivers because I was planing on switching over to HDTVs.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   klambert

klambert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

If someone got an old SD replaced by HD, you were just lucky. I was doing an MRV and it was SD for SD, they wouldn't even give me a break on the price if I wanted to go SD to HD.

I still have one SD receiver connected to a HD, but it's a 22" in the corner of the office and I don't care much about the picture quality since 95% of the time it's on, I'm actually watching my internet spaceships. It might as well be a radio. The picture is horrific. I actually think SD looks worse on an HDTV than it does on a "normal" TV.

#23 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

My experience so far is that with the proper hookup, SD can be a non-painful experience. I have a Samsung 42" plasma that I purchased a few weeks back. I am feeding the signal from my SD DVR (a Samsung DirecTivo) using the s-video to feed to an upconverting DVD recorder. I then feed the signal from the DVD recorder to the television by means of an HDMI cable. The indicator light on the DVD recorder indicates that it's sending a 1080i signal to my 720p receiver. More current programming is very good, very clear. Older programming does show a lot of artifacts and blurring. All in all, I'm pleased with my television experience.

That said, I am upgrading to HD. DirecTV offered me a free HD-DVR, which should be installed in a couple of weeks.

#24 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Well that didn't happen in my case. As SD receivers brokedown, D* replace 'em with HD. Not once did I ask for HD. When I did expand, I did select HD receivers because I was planing on switching over to HDTVs.

Were the replacements received via FedEx or UPS for self-install? If so, I'm not surprised that you got HD receivers. My comment was in regard to an ORIGINAL install where a tech is on scene for new customer activation.

#25 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Were the replacements received via FedEx or UPS for self-install? If so, I'm not surprised that you got HD receivers. My comment was in regard to an ORIGINAL install where a tech is on scene for new customer activation.

Got two (1 HR, 1 H) off the DirecTV service truck as replacements for defective SD equipment. One (HR) was delivered, don't remember by whom, when the service guy had no replacements on his truck. Two (1 HR & 1 H) were expansion ones that I ordered off the DirecTV site. This all occurred before I purchased my first HDTV.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,397 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just got an HDTV. The TV is in our living room which is also home to our DVR receiver. I'm not exactly sure the specific model for the receiver, but we just got DirecTV back 3 months ago so I'm sure it's whatever the current non-HD receiver is.

We hooked it up with the RCA cables and the picture looks pretty meh. My mother doesn't want to pay the extra cost to get an HD receiver so I'm trying to maximize what I can with what I have. I hooked my Xbox360 up to it via component and it looks fantastic. Can the non-HD DVR support that? What about S-Video? For a hail mary what about HDMI? What is the max resolution this can output? 480P?

Thanks for any help.

It's me again. I have been doing a lot of reading this morning and I have a couple of points to make.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but, the SD receivers /DVRs are made to convert the digital signal from DirecTV to analog for use on the non digital TVs that we all used to have. The analog signal going into the Digital HD TV does not do well at all. There might be a huge difference in the SD channels quality when they are put to the TV using an HD receiver that is outputting a digital signal vs a SD receiver / DVR. This might be the reason your picture looks so bad.

Having said all of the above, and repeating what others have already posted, "No need to have an HD TV without HD service. Also, with the HD service free for 24 months, the cost to switch is nothing. "

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Having said all of the above, and repeating what others have already posted, "No need to have an HD TV without HD service. Also, with the HD service free for 24 months, the cost to switch is nothing. "

Oh no it isn't. You will pay $199 for a HD upgrade to an HD DVR or probably $99 for an upgrade to an HD receiver (non-DVR) PLUS you are stuck with DirecTV for 2 more years.

And you only get "free HD" for those 2 years since you are an existing customer.

If you decided you HAD to have HD, you would be smarter with DISH where you could get an HD DVR (and install) for FREE with HD FOR LIFE. Not only that, if you've never been a DISH customer, you'd get a fantastic price on service for the first year too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a DISH fanboy, in fact I've had DirecTV for 9 and a half years and at this time have no plans on switching (or upgrading to HD). And yes, I do have a flat screen HDTV which to me works just fine with DirecTV's SD service. The only reason I have the HDTV is that my old tube-type TV broke down after 18 years and there was nothing else I could buy with the screen size to fit my living room. Most of the programming I watch is in SD anyway as I love "classic TV" and movies. In fact, many evenings I watch BLACK AND WHITE SD programs on the HDTV! :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Oh no it isn't. You will pay $199 for a HD upgrade to an HD DVR or probably $99 for an upgrade to an HD receiver (non-DVR) PLUS you are stuck with DirecTV for 2 more years.

You will? :rolleyes: Many customers receive free upgrades or significant discounts to upgrade to HD. Also, you're not stuck for 2 years,you can pay an ETF.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

You will? :rolleyes: Many customers receive free upgrades or significant discounts to upgrade to HD.

Since this "free HD" fiasco? I'd like to hear about one!!

Also, you're not stuck for 2 years,you can pay an ETF.

Well, of course you can! $20 a month for NOTHING for each month left on your commitment or $480 if you decide you made the wrong choice right away. That's a lot of money to toss into the fireplace.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#30 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

I just checked the DirecTV web site and I can get a HD DVR for $99, not $199 and a HD STB for $49, not $99, so deals are still available for existing subs on the hardware.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#31 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

Well, of course you can! $20 a month for NOTHING for each month left on your commitment or $480 if you decide you made the wrong choice right away. That's a lot of money to toss into the fireplace.

I was offered a free HD DVR last week, but declined.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,397 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

And you only get "free HD" for those 2 years since you are an existing customer.

If you decided you HAD to have HD, you would be smarter with DISH where you could get an HD DVR (and install) for FREE with HD FOR LIFE. Not only that, if you've never been a DISH customer, you'd get a fantastic price on service for the first year too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a DISH fanboy, in fact I've had DirecTV for 9 and a half years and at this time have no plans on switching (or upgrading to HD). And yes, I do have a flat screen HDTV which to me works just fine with DirecTV's SD service. The only reason I have the HDTV is that my old tube-type TV broke down after 18 years and there was nothing else I could buy with the screen size to fit my living room. Most of the programming I watch is in SD anyway as I love "classic TV" and movies. In fact, many evenings I watch BLACK AND WHITE SD programs on the HDTV! :D

When I upgraded to HD last year I added one HD receiver,
changed out an old SD receiver for 1 HD DVR,
got a new dish,
all new wiring
and the DirecTV installation and the total cost to me was $99.

The lady told me if I would just do the DVR at that time and add the second HD receiver in 6 months that she could do that one ( the one I paid the $99 for ) for free. I did not want to wait.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#33 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

As I have stated on the previous page of this discussion, I have just ordered an HD DVR. I was charged only the shipping fee, the DVR and installation will be at no charge, yes I have added an additional 2 year commitment. As I am happy with, and intend to stay with DirecTV, the commitment is not a big concern of mine.

#34 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Well, I have an R22 connected to my 42" HDTV via HDMI and I think the picture looks just fine. Even with the so-called "free HD" for 2 years offer, I can't justify the cost to upgrade to an HD DVR and a new 2 year commitment.

Of note, I did have one of my R15's hooked to the HDTV before shuffling the R22 to that room and it didn't look that bad either using S-VIDEO.

I noticed that Consumer Reports ratings for HDTV's have a column indicating how SD looks on the set and it varies widely by brand and model. When shopping for my HDTV, the store had (of all things) an HR-21 feeding all the HDTV's and the salesman let me switch it between SD and HD. WOW what a difference on some TV's but very little on others. I paid a couple hundred dollars more for one of the HDTV's that had a great SD picture (a Toshiba Regza). The cheaper Toshiba looked like an out-of-focus movie when fed an SD signal.

Sadly my Vizio SV320XVT suffers from this SD content doesn't look the clearest. But for the most part it does look ok. I watch Top Gear on BBC America and it's fine in SD. I think it comes down to the broadcaster. Some things I see in SD are fine others are awful. I record 90% in HD. Only because I have an HD tv. But I also have a SD TV in the same room and use it too. So I can take SD or HD. If you've been a D* customer for long enough you can get good deals on the HD equipment.

Here is an example. I recorded this TV ad (via my phone in HQ) on an SD channel on my HDTV. It looks fine. IMHO.

Recorded from BBC America. For those wondering. I'm a musician. I thought this ad was funny. Plus I couldn
t pass up the eye candy. NOT the people. lol
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

spam firewall