Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving to Uverse from DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   circadianswing

circadianswing

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

After 6 years with DirecTV, I decided it's time to leave. I scheduled an install of ATT fiber Uverse, but before I go, I wanted to hear from those who may have attempted to move away.

I'm so disappointed with the sluggishness of my HR2X series HD DVR, and I've been holding onto my old HR210, only to get SD but Tivo dual tuner in the bedroom. they came out and gave me a slimline dish and tested everything, but won't give me an HR24, which I hear is a bit quicker. I heard tivo is coming back, but it seems like it will never happen. I'm sick of paying a premium for D*, I only have 1080i capable tv's anyway.

Did anyone move to AT&T Uverse fiber optic tv and come running back???

if so why??? I really appreciate any advice!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

Picture quality is bad on Uverse. You can get a HR24 for around $199 or less.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

+1, and pray you get a Uverse installer that knows the difference between an HDMI cable and a component cable.

You can get an HR24 for less than 199 at costco, overstock, and several other places.
Id really go that route, but hey, you can suspend your directv account and try Uverse, but I dont think you will be happy with it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   circadianswing

circadianswing

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

I was considering the purchase of the HR24; however, I'm very curious to see if the ATT Uverse box performs better. especially in the areas of... changing the channel, multi room viewing, response time on just about every function.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

I was considering the purchase of the HR24; however, I'm very curious to see if the ATT Uverse box performs better. especially in the areas of... changing the channel, multi room viewing, response time on just about every function.

Changing channels will definantly be faster, since its an IP stream, and doesnt have to send voltage and tones to the LNB and wait for confirmation. MRV will be about the same. Response time was about the same as my HR24, but faster than any of my other DVRs.
Remember also that you need the high priced package to get HD, and you will be limited to two HD channels at one time. Its worth a try, but I dont think it holds a candle to DirecTv on a HR24.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   circadianswing

circadianswing

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

Changing channels will definantly be faster, since its an IP stream, and doesnt have to send voltage and tones to the LNB and wait for confirmation. MRV will be about the same. Response time was about the same as my HR24, but faster than any of my other DVRs.
Remember also that you need the high priced package to get HD, and you will be limited to two HD channels at one time. Its worth a try, but I dont think it holds a candle to DirecTv on a HR24.

that is excellent information... I only really use 2 of the 4 tv's I have. the other 2 are in the kitchen and a guest room. In regards to recording, I'm planning on recording all the my children's stuff in SD, keeping my recordings in HD.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

A HR24 or 2 on DECA handle MRV great. 24s are faster on everything.

Uverse hard drives are small, and you only get 1 DVR for MRV. Plus, you can only get 1-3 (3 is rare) HD streams at once.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

I am going the opposite way, from UVERSE to DIRECT

Uverse is just OK. Their receivers are only fair in my view. The biggest factor for uverse is how far you are from the AT&T box. SD quality on uverse very good, HD ok, but the HD is definitely not as good as Dish. I cannot compare it to Direct since they will be installing Direct at my house this Saturday.

My main reason for leaving Uverse is customer support.

Good luck to both of us

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

And only about a two (or three with VDSL 2) maximum HD stream limit is almost comical to me. :nono2:

Internet service is very good though ...

#10 OFFLINE   circadianswing

circadianswing

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

I am going the opposite way, from UVERSE to DIRECT

Uverse is just OK. Their receivers are only fair in my view. The biggest factor for uverse is how far you are from the AT&T box. SD quality on uverse very good, HD ok, but the HD is definitely not as good as Dish. I cannot compare it to Direct since they will be installing Direct at my house this Saturday.

My main reason for leaving Uverse is customer support.

Good luck to both of us

at this point I'm willing to sacrifice a little picture quality for functionality... all the HR units prior to the HR24 (don't have that one), are so slow, I appreciate my older SD tivo unit. customer service on d* can't do much for me on there, but I will say they're quick to pick up the phone. I will take the cautious route and not cancel my directv until I'm satisfied with the att... yes... good luck to us both!

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

It's always good to check out any other options you may have.
The HR24 is a big improvement over all the other models.
I've seen the Uverse ad with their multi-viewing and use DirecTV's. I know DirecTV's doesn't work like the Uverse ad shows, but then wonder how real their ad is [like any ad from anyone]. I can't pause in one room and continue in another, but I can stop in one room and continue in another.

I've got 3 DVRs that can record six shows at once in HD. Uverse can't to that.

Long ago, I took my local cable for a test drive and really wanted to dump DirecTV. It lasted less than a week and I came back and knew why I did. Overall this helped me to know why I wanted DirecTV.

If you find yourself in the same spot, try Uverse and put your DirecTV on suspension. If you find you want to come back it's easier to and if you don't, you can then "dump" them.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   circadianswing

circadianswing

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

Long ago, I took my local cable for a test drive and really wanted to dump DirecTV. It lasted less than a week and I came back and knew why I did. Overall this helped me to know why I wanted DirecTV..

I agree with your statement here... it will be a pain to put it all back to DirecTV if I'm not happy, but then again, right now, I'm not happy anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   dlvh

dlvh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

I had a slow HR21 main unit in my house, the guide was acting up, and I was excited to see Uverse had Multi-Room viewing. I called D* and told them I was considering quiting them. They told me that as a "Valued Customer" I qualify for a free (yes free) DVR (although that DOES require a 2 (two) year commitment) if I decide that I want it. I did not take them up on it at that point, but remembered it and had them write it down.

Days later, I had Uverse TV installed at my home and tried it for about 3 weeks before canceling. The one (and only) DVR is a bit quicker than my HR21. The Multi-Room viewing was nice, but was limited to that one and only DVR...everything MUST be watch off that units HDD, but at other locations, if you want to. Pixelation during sports, or anything with quick movement was annoying compared to D*. The HDD on it is quite a bit smaller than the ones in the current HR2x's. The pros vs cons for our family went to D*, overwelmingly.

Just days later I called D* back (I never canceled them, or even put them on hold) and asked them if I could still receive my free DVR (with the 2 year commitment) and was told "you sure are". I asked if I could receive a HR24, and was told "we cannot guarantee it, but you can cancel if it doesn't come in at the time of your appointment". I made the appointment to have my new DVR installed, and was also credited at the same time, with several "perks" that made it VERY worthwhile for me to stay with D*. The HR24 came in, and was installed, and is currently hooked up thru MRV and I am a very happy camper with D* for now.

I also see that D* is offering free HD access for 24 months for current D* customers, and I plan on taking advantage of that here very soon.

So my advice to you is...Threaten to leave D*, and see what they are willing to do to keep you. If you are a customer in good standing with them, they should offer you a lot of "perks" to stay. Ask for the "Retention Department" if you really want to stay, if not, try Uverse, and see if you like it better than I did...it can't hurt, but if you can afford it, don't quit D* if you are even thinking about going back!

Edit: Also to note, IF you decide to TRY Uverse, make sure that you are not charged for any hidden fees or surcharges. They say that you can try Uverse for free, but be aware. I went with a Uverse bundle, and then got a bill for a lot of added "surcharges" and fees. Make sure that if you go with Uverse, ALL fees and surcharges ARE indeed free with no hidden install-type (or other) fees.

Edited by dlvh, 08 June 2010 - 06:25 AM.

D* Subscriber since 2006
1 HR21-700
1 HR23-700
1 HR24-500
SlimLine 5-LNB Ka/Ku Dish

#14 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:57 AM

After 6 years with DirecTV, I decided it's time to leave. I scheduled an install of ATT fiber Uverse, but before I go, I wanted to hear from those who may have attempted to move away.

I'm so disappointed with the sluggishness of my HR2X series HD DVR, and I've been holding onto my old HR210, only to get SD but Tivo dual tuner in the bedroom. they came out and gave me a slimline dish and tested everything, but won't give me an HR24, which I hear is a bit quicker. I heard tivo is coming back, but it seems like it will never happen. I'm sick of paying a premium for D*, I only have 1080i capable tv's anyway.

Did anyone move to AT&T Uverse fiber optic tv and come running back???

if so why??? I really appreciate any advice!

Yes I did. First point...it's only fiber optic to the node...then they run copper to the house. U-verse offers a lot of flexibility, with the ability to record several other channels while watching another channel. Of course, how many other channels you can record in HD depends on your profile and how far you are from the AT&T VRAD. You will either have a 2HD/2SD profile, which only allows you to record one other channel in HD if you are currently watching an HD channel, or a 3HD/1SD profile if you are in an area that offers that profile. They won't be able to tell you that until they are at your house.....whatever they tell you on the phone.

I think it's also fair to say that although you will lose the lag in channel changing, the U-verse DVRs are still evolving and have some way to go. There are some very frustrating things with them, and the newer D* boxes are way ahead of them in my view.

The main issue though will be the HD picture quality. If you watch a lot of sport, you will be very disappointed with the artifact issues with U-verse HD pictures. It's not an issue for regular programs, but with fast moving images and panning cameras...it's not pretty.

#15 OFFLINE   mmmason23

mmmason23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

I echo the thoughts in here. I've had comcast, time Warner, uverse, dish and now direct. Uverse is a good service, especially the Internet. The multiroom is very nice, but now direct can match that. I never had a problem with hard drive space, but I only had two hdtvs so I never ran into a problem with only two hd streams. If you have more than two hdtv's I'd avoid uverse. The picture quality in sd is good to excellent, but the hd quality is noticeably softer. I couldn't get satellite at the time, but it was much better than cable IMO. Give it a try, if you don't like it, keep the Internet part of it, which is very good and direct

#16 OFFLINE   ralphfurley

ralphfurley

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Ive had UVERSE since March 2009. The DVR is much much faster than my HR21. no key bounce, no waiting for guide to pop up. I have well over 100 HD channels...I'm not counting PPV either. They just added TCM in HD. No more rain fade.

I just got the 3HD/1SD stream upgrade. Much easier. having to share D streams was an issue. I really dont notice much picture quality difference.
Stay classy,FURLEY OUT! Have I really been coming here for5 years!?!

#17 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

One this that drives me crazy with Uverse and every other system,

The channel numbers.

Why on earth is my local Ch 3, like channel 1078 in HD? Why are there HD channel numbers AND SD channel numbers.

DTV has had local channel remapping for what seems like a decade now. How come they are the only ones?

#18 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

My bro-in-law switched to Uverse from D* abot 8 months ago -- the issue he was having was that D* installers were unable to get him a perfect line-of-site with the dish. He became frustrated calling support and having D* techs show up that were clueless. So he bit the bullet and switched to Uverse. I must tell you that the pic. quality was horrid when I was there last month to see it first hand. Uverse is sold in various "speeds" and depending on how many computers & TVs you have connected will depend on the overall quality and response. Uverse uses VDSL technology that basically "shares" a (very) high speed data connection to a router and then splits from there to various components. So if someone is "streaming" lots of data to a Compuer and you're trying to watch HD content on a TV (or 2 TVs), you might experience issues. The highest speed package is something like "32" - but is not available everywhere. "24" seems to be failry common.. Not sure of the price differences between the various "speed" packages so you need to do some analysis of your needs and prices of each. As far as the lousy HD pic quality that I was seeing, I wish I would have had more time to analyze his problem when I was there -- and since learning more about Uverse technology. Good luck.

#19 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

I agree with your statement here... it will be a pain to put it all back to DirecTV if I'm not happy, but then again, right now, I'm not happy anyway.

Actually shouldn't be a pain at all.
Just call DirecTV and put your account in suspend which you can do for up to 6 months.
Leave all your equipment in place.

Have AT&T install their stuff and it won't get in the way of DirecTV.
Try AT&T out, you only have to keep it for 30 days. If you hate it you can cancel with no penalty and just call up DirecTV to lift the suspend and you're back in business.

FYI that Uverse Internet is the best I've ever had. So even after 30 days if you feel you don't like their TV service you can leave the Internet only active.

Uverse TV isn't all that bad. SD picture quality is the best I've ever seen.
The DVR is very fast and channel changes happen very quickly.
HD isn't as good as DirecTV but not bad (in my area anyway). If it's acceptable to you or not is up to you. But their selection of HD channels is as good as DirecTV (currently).
You are limited to 2 HD streams at once but if that isn't an issue for you then no big deal.

If you want the larger hard drive in the DVR be sure to sign up for their top package with all the movie channels and HD. They give the big hard drive to those with that package. After 30 days you can knock your package back down to whatever level you want and you of course get to keep the DVR with the bigger hard drive. So that's an easy way to make sure you get the bigger hard drive. ;)

And check online especially for all the cash back offers. When I signed up they gave me $250 in cash back offers and the only thing I had to do was keep TV service active long enough for the rebates to process. After that you can cancel. So they basically paid me $250 to sign up with no commitment. Can't beat that and that's also the best way to get a free install even if all you want is the Internet.

So it's certainly worth trying it out, there is nothing to lose and money to gain from the rebates. Worse thing is the TV sucks, you cancel that, keep the Internet and the rebates and go back to DirecTV for TV service.

#20 OFFLINE   rogburr

rogburr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

I'm researching move to DirecTv from U-Verse which I have had for 18 months. The UV DVR has a great UI and channel changes are instantaneous. Guide movement is very fast. HD picture quality on my 42 inch plasma is very good. SD picture quality is outstanding. Some of the posts here are obviously biased. There is some blocking on sports programming, but, for me, only on replays. I have not found it to be a problem at all. UV does not have Tennis Channel HD and it takes 24 presses on remote to turn CC on or off; highly irritating to be. Good luck to you.

spam firewall