Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All receivers dead this morning! (6/8) Had to RBR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1222 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   stlcardsblues

stlcardsblues

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Thank god it's not just me. I was freaking out for a while thinking my box was dying before my eyes. Both HR21s wouldn't respond to remote or front panel buttons. Was watching live TV on one of them and it froze after I pressed menu and selected "manage recordings," but the picture was still running in the upper right corner. RBR brought it back but it froze again soon after. Only receiver working is my D12. BTW, both HR21s have been on the latest software x03DE since it first released.

I don't know what was worse-That my machine was not working when I got up, or it was stuck on an infomercial. Both were torture.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Richard Casto

Richard Casto

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

One HR21 and one HR22. Both locked up this morning. Both received 0x3de early this AM.

HR21

After first RBR I received the update/new feature screen. Locked up after selecting "OK". Seems to be fine after second RBR

HR22

After first RBR still no response to front panel or remote control input. After second RBR it responded to remote and front panel controls for a few minutes then locked up. Performed a complete power cycle and after start up it responded to front panel and remote control input. After a few minutes it eventually popped up the update/new feature screen. Still seems to be working Ok.

Clearly someone screwed something up today at DirecTV. ;)

#53 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

I don't think it is a software download issue. My HR21 was updated on 5/26 and it locked up this morning at about 5:30 MDT.

After rbr appeared OK, then froze on rewind. When finally rewound to start of buffer it starting playing was not responding to remote or front panel. Pull the plug for a few minutes. Now appears to be OK. Need to check other receivers.

#54 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:40 AM

As I posted above, this seems to have killed my main receiver (yes, I understand that I probably already had an hard drive problem and this just exposed it). So, I'm wondering if I can just run over to Costco, get a new receiver (that, BTW, has double the capacity of the current one) and use it as a replacement and send the dead one in without DTV sending me a new one. Can I get away with this strategy?

#55 OFFLINE   DEF

DEF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:41 AM

3DF is working now.

#56 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

2 reboots within 30 minutes seems to have solved the problem on my HR22 and HR20. This appears to be bad guide data. I like some other people did not get the national download and still had the problem. Also, 2 reboots within 30 minutes flushes the guide cache on the hard drive, and forces the machine to re-download the data. This seems to have gotten rid of the bad data that was causing the lockup.
DogLover

My Setup

#57 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:47 AM

As I posted above, this seems to have killed my main receiver (yes, I understand that I probably already had an hard drive problem and this just exposed it). So, I'm wondering if I can just run over to Costco, get a new receiver (that, BTW, has double the capacity of the current one) and use it as a replacement and send the dead one in without DTV sending me a new one. Can I get away with this strategy?

You should be able to do that. Just activate the new one and deactivate the old one. (I assume you aren't looking for them to reimburse you on the new one, which would be harder to get them to do.)
DogLover

My Setup

#58 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

2 reboots within 30 minutes seems to have solved the problem on my HR22 and HR20. This appears to be bad guide data. I like some other people did not get the national download and still had the problem. Also, 2 reboots within 30 minutes flushes the guide cache on the hard drive, and forces the machine to re-download the data. This seems to have gotten rid of the bad data that was causing the lockup.

Also had to do the double boot everything working now.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

Dish Hopper with sling

Wireless Joey

#59 OFFLINE   PhilS

PhilS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

The last couple of times this happened, it had nothing to do with a firmware update, but rather, just bad guide data. May or may not be the case here, but these things do seem "designed" to malfunction when they get information they don't seem to like.

I think it was bad guide data, since I did not get an update last night. Required two reboots, which means the bad guide data was nuked.

#60 OFFLINE   JACH

JACH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:50 AM

So guide data isn't the same for all receivers? Cuz my D12-500 was unaffected.

#61 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

You should be able to do that. Just activate the new one and deactivate the old one. (I assume you aren't looking for them to reimburse you on the new one, which would be harder to get them to do.)

That's correct - I don't expect them to reimburse. I don't have the extended care and I knew going in that if a receiver died, I'd just have to suck up the costs associated with that. Unless I can get a hold of D* by lunch, I guess I'll just go with the Costco option.

Thanks for the response.

#62 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,128 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:53 AM

I don't know what was worse-That my machine was not working when I got up, or it was stuck on an infomercial. Both were torture.

Could have been worse. The infomercial could have been on the benefits of suscribing to DirecTV!

#63 OFFLINE   Castlebill

Castlebill

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:53 AM

Mine too - nice update.
HR21-200 HDMI to 50" Panasonic Plasma
HR20-700 to 50" Panasonic Plasma
HR21-700 to 26" Vizio
HR21-100 to 50" Panasonic Plasma and 2 SD sets
HR22-100 to 50" Panny and SD set
Slimline with Zinwell WB616

#64 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:57 AM

I got the update on 5/26. Had to reboot HR23-700 twice this am to get them to work. Didn't check other receivers as I had to go to work. I have "new" HR22 in my sons room and an r15-100 downstairs. I assume my son will be calling me later.

#65 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:57 AM

I know nobody here would call, but I bet Tech Support is blowing up. "Extended wait times" to say the least.

Keep that in mind if you need to call for any other reason.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#66 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

I didn't check mine this morning. Would it require two full reboots by unplugging or two soft resets if it's dead when i get home?

#67 OFFLINE   Directvlover

Directvlover

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

Same here too. I figured this would be widespread. 2 reboots fixed one of my HR-23's completely. 2 Reboots brought my HR20 up and responsive to remote commands...but i think one more reboot is needed on that as only the over the air channels were viewable and not channels from the sat...Rebooted my other HR-23...but I had to leave for work so I couldn't verify if that one is back to normal now. Will have to wait till lunch to go home and make sure everything is back to normal. I'm sure the tech support phone number is ringing off the hook this morning.

#68 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

All HR-2X's are dead this am, 21, 2-22's and 2-23's. Had to unplug all, and still unclear whether they'll come up or not. Stuck on "rebuilding scheduler list for many minutes" might have to reset again

Same here on my Hr21-100 stuck on rebuilding scheduler list for over 1 hour had to reboot 2nd time by pulling the power. I'm on the latest CE release. 2nd reboot brought the unit back to life.

#69 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

Me too - had the software update last night.
Power off and on didn't complete - had to do RBR.
Nice job. Good thing I am home this am because if wife had faced this I'D BE IN TROUBLE.

It is nice to be able to go to this board and see it wasn't me or my systems.

#70 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:05 AM

I know nobody here would call, but I bet Tech Support is blowing up. "Extended wait times" to say the least.

Keep that in mind if you need to call for any other reason.

Since I've been calling about a dead hard drive this morning, I can say that yes, they're in a bad way there. About half the time the call simply doesn't go through at all and the other half the time the D* system disconnects you at the last step, probably because the queue is completely full 100% of the time.

#71 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

I think it was bad guide data, since I did not get an update last night. Required two reboots, which means the bad guide data was nuked.

Yeah, probably bad guide data. The one box I was watching this AM needed a couple of reboots. Its funny, because the box seemed to work, I had sound and picture, but if I gave it a command or two from teh remote, it locked up, so I thought it was the Hard drive going bad. But the second RBR fixed it and the guide was nuked when it finally got up and running.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#72 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,880 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

Mine was dead too this morning. Rebooting now.

Could we get a "one thread sticky for all" to report this in?

Thanks

#73 OFFLINE   Prince Oz

Prince Oz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

I had same issue. Do you think they moved evrything back to D10 from D12 and tried firing it up this morning? Maybe
Prince Oz
Living = HR23-700, Sammy LN52A550, BD350, Yamaha 735
Game Room = Dell XPS 630, 360 Elite, Vizio VS32, HR20
Roll Tide Roll

#74 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

Same here on my Hr21-100 stuck on rebuilding scheduler list for over 1 hour had to reboot 2nd time by pulling the power. I'm on the latest CE release. 2nd reboot brought the unit back to life.

Rebooting now for the 3rd time unit came back up on the 2nd reboot but no remote commands or front button commands.
I bet Directv will hear about this one.

#75 OFFLINE   secondclaw

secondclaw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:19 AM

Had same issue with my HR23 last night, but weird thing is that it happened about a week ago as well, having me resort to RBR (which fixed the issue). When it happened again last night I was in the middle of watching a recording, and when I tried to rewind it I realized there is no response to the remote. A week ago the symptom was the same - I tried to do something while watching a recording ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...