Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All receivers dead this morning! (6/8) Had to RBR

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1222 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

Glad this isn't just me. My HR21-100 got the update last night but is now stuck. Unplugged it once but is stuck again. My HR21-200 got the update last week and had been working fine, but now I can't even get it to turn on.

Thank goodness I get basic cable channels through my Road Runner wire.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

My HR24 was not effected. Makes me think other HR receivers were getting something the HR24 all ready had.

#43 OFFLINE   PhilS

PhilS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

Had to reboot two HR20-700's

#44 OFFLINE   donbean

donbean

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

the notice once i rebooted was the update was for 3D tv.... i dont own one so i dont care so much about it right now...

#45 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

Wow, do you think this was nationwide? Ouch! I RBR now and I see power.

#46 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

I know this is not the forum to illicit sympathy, but think of all the calls the CSR's are getting from the folks not on this forum. Hold times will be crazy this morning. Also, somewhere there is a developer who is practicing a speech that he or she know will need to be delivered to management on why code made it out the door that shut down a sizable chunk of the customer base.

#47 OFFLINE   alant40

alant40

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Downloading x03DF now. Will see if that helps.

So weird. One of my receivers got 3DF on 6/3 according to setup. That receiver is fine. One other got 3DE this morning at 3:31 am. That one locked up. Others got 3DF at 3:27 am. They all locked up. What the hell is going on??

#48 OFFLINE   OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Same here. All three of my receivers weren't working this morning. Had to do two RBR on each unit to get them working again.
My setup:

HR21-700, LG 42" 42LB5D (HDMI)

R22-200 w/HD, RCA 32" tube (S-video)

HR22-100, Samsung 58" PN58B550 (HDMI)
Xbox 360 (HDMI)
Denon AVR 2311CI (7.2)
MonoPrice in-wall speakers

#49 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Wow I have never had anything like this happen since we have had D*
And you can't get anybody to talk to at all at D*. I tried Tech Support, Protection Plan, and even Billing and Payment--no person ever came on the line anywhere! And believe me when you can't get anyone in Billing and Payment things must really be bad :eek2: :girlscrea Do you think DBSTALK sank D* after all those calls about the HD Fee :lol: Sorry I couldn't resist that one :D

#50 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

somewhere there is a developer who is practicing a speech that he or she know will need to be delivered to management on why code made it out the door that shut down a sizable chunk of the customer base.

The last couple of times this happened, it had nothing to do with a firmware update, but rather, just bad guide data. May or may not be the case here, but these things do seem "designed" to malfunction when they get information they don't seem to like.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#51 OFFLINE   stlcardsblues

stlcardsblues

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Thank god it's not just me. I was freaking out for a while thinking my box was dying before my eyes. Both HR21s wouldn't respond to remote or front panel buttons. Was watching live TV on one of them and it froze after I pressed menu and selected "manage recordings," but the picture was still running in the upper right corner. RBR brought it back but it froze again soon after. Only receiver working is my D12. BTW, both HR21s have been on the latest software x03DE since it first released.

I don't know what was worse-That my machine was not working when I got up, or it was stuck on an infomercial. Both were torture.

#52 OFFLINE   Richard Casto

Richard Casto

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

One HR21 and one HR22. Both locked up this morning. Both received 0x3de early this AM.

HR21

After first RBR I received the update/new feature screen. Locked up after selecting "OK". Seems to be fine after second RBR

HR22

After first RBR still no response to front panel or remote control input. After second RBR it responded to remote and front panel controls for a few minutes then locked up. Performed a complete power cycle and after start up it responded to front panel and remote control input. After a few minutes it eventually popped up the update/new feature screen. Still seems to be working Ok.

Clearly someone screwed something up today at DirecTV. ;)

#53 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

I don't think it is a software download issue. My HR21 was updated on 5/26 and it locked up this morning at about 5:30 MDT.

After rbr appeared OK, then froze on rewind. When finally rewound to start of buffer it starting playing was not responding to remote or front panel. Pull the plug for a few minutes. Now appears to be OK. Need to check other receivers.

#54 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:40 AM

As I posted above, this seems to have killed my main receiver (yes, I understand that I probably already had an hard drive problem and this just exposed it). So, I'm wondering if I can just run over to Costco, get a new receiver (that, BTW, has double the capacity of the current one) and use it as a replacement and send the dead one in without DTV sending me a new one. Can I get away with this strategy?

#55 OFFLINE   DEF

DEF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:41 AM

3DF is working now.

#56 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

2 reboots within 30 minutes seems to have solved the problem on my HR22 and HR20. This appears to be bad guide data. I like some other people did not get the national download and still had the problem. Also, 2 reboots within 30 minutes flushes the guide cache on the hard drive, and forces the machine to re-download the data. This seems to have gotten rid of the bad data that was causing the lockup.
DogLover

My Setup

#57 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:47 AM

As I posted above, this seems to have killed my main receiver (yes, I understand that I probably already had an hard drive problem and this just exposed it). So, I'm wondering if I can just run over to Costco, get a new receiver (that, BTW, has double the capacity of the current one) and use it as a replacement and send the dead one in without DTV sending me a new one. Can I get away with this strategy?

You should be able to do that. Just activate the new one and deactivate the old one. (I assume you aren't looking for them to reimburse you on the new one, which would be harder to get them to do.)
DogLover

My Setup

#58 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

2 reboots within 30 minutes seems to have solved the problem on my HR22 and HR20. This appears to be bad guide data. I like some other people did not get the national download and still had the problem. Also, 2 reboots within 30 minutes flushes the guide cache on the hard drive, and forces the machine to re-download the data. This seems to have gotten rid of the bad data that was causing the lockup.

Also had to do the double boot everything working now.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#59 OFFLINE   PhilS

PhilS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

The last couple of times this happened, it had nothing to do with a firmware update, but rather, just bad guide data. May or may not be the case here, but these things do seem "designed" to malfunction when they get information they don't seem to like.

I think it was bad guide data, since I did not get an update last night. Required two reboots, which means the bad guide data was nuked.

#60 OFFLINE   JACH

JACH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:50 AM

So guide data isn't the same for all receivers? Cuz my D12-500 was unaffected.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...