Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV=Bankers Hours

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

So, did I miss something or has DirecTV support fallen to new LOW levels now?

Like apparently many others, I awoke this morning to a seemingly dead DVR (HR20-100, the hard drive is whirring away, so it's got power); my HR20-700 is actually recording something.

But, I picked up the phone and called DirecTV; "Our Customer Support Center is Closed, please call between 8am and..." and went on to say they still 'had staff' to do troubleshooting. Tried that, and the system still hung up on me.

This is really so totally unacceptable, on so many levels. I guess those cable commercials that are on every other minute on local broadcast are true, that getting someone at a satellite company to even answer their phones is a somewhat proposition these days.

With the number of folks reporting dead things this morning, I'll guess some pathetic programmer hosed the system but good. Maybe it's the same guy the royally screwed up Jobs iPhone4 thingy yesterday (not reported very much, but when the demo when off the rails, Steve exclaimed 'WTF how can I get a connection..?' and someone in the audience yelled 'Verizon!'. BIG laughs).

Anyway, back to DirecTV. Not laughing this morning. Anyone care to comment on no 24x7 support? When did this happen?

And oh, the HR20-700 (in the lv room) is actually hosed, stuck in recording mode.

Edited by 1948GG, 08 June 2010 - 06:46 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:10 AM

And oh, the HR20-700 (in the lv room) is actually hosed, stuck in recording mode.

Open the right panel on the front of the receiver and press the red button.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

It takes two back to back resets to correct the problem.

#4 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

It takes two back to back resets to correct the problem.

Yes, that had to be done on the HR20-100. Waiting on the -700...

but really not responsive to the title of this thread. Again, just when did DirecTV go to bankers hours, and more specifically, bailed out bankers hours.

#5 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:39 AM

but really not responsive to the title of this thread. Again, just when did DirecTV go to bankers hours, and more specifically, bailed out bankers hours.

You are right, it isn't responsive to the thread, but it was responsive to the last thing you said in your post. I was just trying to help you get your system up in the absence of D*.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

I'd be interested in finding out where you do your banking...

DirecTV has tech support available 24x7. Of course, when EVERYONE's boxes lock up, the skeleton staff they have in the middle of the night that can normally handle the call volume is going to get overwhelmed. But, really, did you need to call DirecTV *before* doing some basic troubleshooting? Just like any other computer, a DVR can lock up and need rebooting.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:47 AM

Yes, that had to be done on the HR20-100. Waiting on the -700...

That seems to be the norm with any major company.

#8 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:53 AM

No, but I have >20,000 MDU customers that I'd like to be able to tell something other than 'reset the box' (2-3+ times). Luckily (for DirecTV), they're all pretty much trained to call us rather than DirecTV for any and all technical problems. *I got a call from our tech guys here at around 4am this morning, btw, just on OUR call volume*

Again, some programmer or programming group needs to experience what being unemployed in the depths of a depression really means.

And I changed the thread title to more accurately reflect what's going on. This is by far the worst system failure DirecTV has had since the system when national in 1994.

#9 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:55 AM

But, really, did you need to call DirecTV *before* doing some basic troubleshooting? Just like any other computer, a DVR can lock up and need rebooting.

That is not a fair statement. You don't know his level of expertise. I bet there are a lot of people that don't even know there is a red reset button on their receiver.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

That is not a fair statement. You don't know his level of expertise. I bet there are a lot of people that don't even know there is a red reset button on their receiver.

Speaking of the red button. Do you think they could have placed it in a more cramped location? I have large fingers and need to use a ball point pen to push the reset button.

#11 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

This is by far the worst system failure DirecTV has had since the system when national in 1994.

No, this exact same thing has happened at least two other times that I can remember, both in the past three years.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#12 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:06 AM

No, but I have >20,000 MDU customers that I'd like to be able to tell something other than 'reset the box' (2-3+ times). Luckily (for DirecTV), they're all pretty much trained to call us rather than DirecTV for any and all technical problems. *I got a call from our tech guys here at around 4am this morning, btw, just on OUR call volume*

Again, some programmer or programming group needs to experience what being unemployed in the depths of a depression really means.

And I changed the thread title to more accurately reflect what's going on. This is by far the worst system failure DirecTV has had since the system when national in 1994.

I am surprised that someone who is responsible for 20,000 customers doesn't have a special technical support number to get to DirecTV. I would have thought that would be to DirecTV's benefit. It certainly would be frustrating to have all those people calling you and you not able to get hold of DirecTV.

The change to "bankers hours" that happened a few months back does only affect account management and billing issues, not technical support. However, as you have said, this is a pretty widespread system failure. You can certainly understand how their technical support would be quickly overwhelmed.

From my personal observation and what several others have said on these forums, it appears to be a guide data problem rather than a programming update. 2 reboots within 30 minutes appears to be clearing it up. That's probably the best information that you can give your clients.
DogLover

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

You can probably also tell them to not be surprised if their receivers spontaneously reboot later on in the day. When this has happened in the past, they corrected the glitch in the guide data, then sent out a "reboot command" to all receivers to clear the bad data (even if you had already taken care of it on your own). To everyone's dismay, if I remember correctly, the reboot was during prime time.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

You can probably also tell them to not be surprised if their receivers spontaneously reboot later on in the day. When this has happened in the past, they corrected the glitch in the guide data, then sent out a "reboot command" to all receivers to clear the bad data (even if you had already taken care of it on your own). To everyone's dismay, if I remember correctly, the reboot was during prime time.

Prime time reboot? Must be in their "How to make friends and influence people guidlines".

#15 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

I remember that. Happened in the middle of various "sweeps" episodes as I recall.

Regarding OP, IMO DirecTV support went to crap a few years ago. I don't know if you remember, but they used to really advertise how they were tops in support, etc. in their commercials. Now their commercials throw stones at DISH because they aren't even close to tops in customer service anymore. They are a turd, but they know they are a turd, and apparently are willing to accept being a turd.

I also find it kind of funny that in another thread someone was telling me how it's acceptable that DirecTV doesn't update their support page with info on how to fix this because it's something that really should be done with TS on the line... and yet here someone is expecting you to do troubleshooting before calling in.

#16 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

Now the phone system is overwhelmed. You either get a fast busy or "beep boop beep...your call did not go through as dialed, please try again"
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#17 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

no, putting every unit into looped reboots on black Monday in Oct. 2008 is much worse then someone having to press a button twice...
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Now the phone system is overwhelmed. You either get a fast busy or "beep boop beep...your call did not go through as dialed, please try again"

:lol:

#19 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

One of the big pluses of being out in the far west, is that a LOT of the screw-ups simply don't make it out here, they are fixed/resolved long before it 'rolls' across the country.

Better than half (or more) of problems experienced by far eastern folks, we never see, or it's at best a 'blip'.

This is the first time that it's taken multiple RBR's on what appears to be ALL DVR models, and in some cases requiring a full power reset to get things going. And, we have at least a half dozen cases where even that isn't bringing back the units fully (keeping fingers crossed).

Some have postulated (in other threads) that it was possibly a guide problem that started things, but if so, then they need to filter that data better before sending it down the path to the customers.

DirecTV has a lot of pokers in the fire right at this moment. D10/12 fixes swap arounds, new s/w rollout last week to support 3D, who know what else.

I think most probably, a general reset of all boxes is probably being discussed right now, to be pushed out sometime this afternoon or early evening.

And oh, someone in another thread mentioned that when the call volumes skyrocketed, they should have put up a quick 'fix it' message at the call centers; maybe so, IF they knew that something big was really going on. And they probably wouldn't know that if there wasn't any senior technical folks doing the night shift at DirecTV HQ.

#20 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

a good prerecorded message could have saved a lot of grief I bet.

hey,,,tvmail the frozen receivers :lol:
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...