Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV=Bankers Hours

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for throwing bankers under the bus on this one. Our support numbers don't have limited hours.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

I'm reminded of the line from Airplane "I picked a bad time to quit smoking". This morning I picked a bad time to call for free HD. :-)
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#23 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for throwing bankers under the bus on this one. Our support numbers don't have limited hours.

You must be in a special bank... the two major banks that I contacted last week, most certainly did have special hours.

As for DIRECTV...
We do have 24/7 Technical Support. Non-24/7 for other support issues.

Obviously this issue is large scale and out of the ordinary, and thus taxing the system right now.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

My HR24-500 (running CE) turned on normally but I don't know if that is an exception.

I guess I am lucky because I have never had issues contacting Directv. The tech support at my ISP (Clear Wi-Max) can't be reached before 9 a.m. PST. I know they are there but you can't call them.

#25 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

I guess those cable commercials that are on every other minute on local broadcast are true, that getting someone at a satellite company to even answer their phones is a somewhat proposition these days.

The cable companies support team have no room talk. One of the reasons I came to D* is because of never being able to get someone too answer the phone. And if I did finally get someone to answer the phone, be put on hold and then hung-up on.

#26 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

You must be in a special bank... the two major banks that I contacted last week, most certainly did have special hours.

As for DIRECTV...
We do have 24/7 Technical Support. Non-24/7 for other support issues.

Obviously this issue is large scale and out of the ordinary, and thus taxing the system right now.

Yes, it is a special bank (the kind that has remained profitable throughout the recession).

#27 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

This is really so totally unacceptable, on so many levels. I guess those cable commercials that are on every other minute on local broadcast are true, that getting someone at a satellite company to even answer their phones is a somewhat proposition these days.

/rofl cable companies and support - Unfortunatley my only choice for home internet is my local cble provider - I am coming on 7 days of no internet and being promised that it would be resolved by the end of the business day - calling back at the end of the business day and finding the "special customer support number for the issue" is on an automated attendant tell you to call back during our normal business hours. Getting someone to answer at a cable company is the same iffy chance - slim to none. At least it is only my internet, next door neighbor has no phone, no tv and no internet for the same period of time.

#28 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Since it appears (although the guide stream still looks halted at around 24-36 hours or so), that the main screw up appears to be over for now.

Just about every CSR system that exists (except, of course...) has a 'we are experiencing heavy call volume, and it may take a while for a CSR to help you out' message that the call center heads can implement in an instant when they see that volume jumping toward the stratosphere (I've designed MANY such systems for the banking and securities industries), that seems beyond DirecTV's ability. As does hiring and running a decent software development team(s).

Okay, lets take it that the guide data was corrupted somehow that nailed millions (not thousands, as some have written here) of HR boxes, as many have pointed out, 'not the first time'. True, but this is the first time that multiple reboots (RBR's) were needed, as well as a significant percentage of full-power cycles.

If that is the case, then why oh why don't the simply put a 24 or 48 hour 'hold' on the guide data before pushing it 'out the door' to their customers, while feeding that data to a room full of 'test' HR's, then when an event like this occurs, the fault is 'trapped' in the 'sandbox'. When it happens, get your top s/w folks on it, and stop feeding the guide data out to the customers.

Pretty simple. Every time it happens to the HR's in the sandbox, you get another data point of what's going wrong. Will you ever get back in the situation of simply feeding the guide data 'raw' out to the customers? Probably not, especially since the company generating that is NOT under your direct control.

So, instead of having 14 days of guide data in your HR, you have 12-13. Big deal. Use events such as today's fun and games (that the customer would never have seen) to rake the guide provider (Tribune I presume) over the coals at the after-action meeting.

Don't know if it can be done, especially with stations (both local, network, and 'cable') changing their schedule's up and down without much thinking. Remember, most of their viewers don't have any kind of EPG, or really crude ones like on cable. I'll bet the majority rely on weekly guides from the local Sunday paper, or TVGuide.

Bottom line question: Could this have been prevented? (YES)

Better question: Will it be prevented from happening again? (Probably NOT)

And the Penultimate: If this was caused by some sort of Guide Data problem, is there a potential for someone to purposely introduce such a problem ON PURPOSE.

That's something to think about.

#29 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

I had a message to call the case management number. I called, they said we are unable to take your call due to high call volume. Call back later. The funny thing is, if I don't call back in five days, well now four, my case will be closed as resolved. Which it's not.

#30 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:22 AM

I bet there are a lot of people that don't even know there is a red reset button on their receiver.

Maybe not, but it is their fault. It is clearly mentioned in the manuals and help videos that they run. I think the book even says something like "The red button is your friend..."

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#31 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

Maybe not, but it is their fault. It is clearly mentioned in the manuals and help videos that they run. I think the book even says something like "The red button is your friend..."

Providing they can read with comprehension!

#32 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

That is not a fair statement. You don't know his level of expertise. I bet there are a lot of people that don't even know there is a red reset button on their receiver.

funny, been a firm believer in RTFM for more years they I want to remember. Wife laughs at me when we get a new car and I read the manual cover to cover. Then I laugh at her when she has no idea that the car could do something that is documented in the manual

#33 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

IMHO a great many posters on this forum are giving these glitches much more importance than they deserve.

With the exception of my landline phone, DirecTV is the most dependable service I have, and it is "only TV."

We need heat in the winter, electricity for my mother-in-law's oxygen machine, and a cellphone when the car breaks down. None of these are as dependable in my home as DirecTV.

They'd need to have a lot more outages than they do to get me upset with them.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#34 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

Maybe Directv could use the off-shore call centers the HSPs used to close completed installations and service calls. I found the time on hold to be a calming experience that customers could benefit from experiencing.

They would have time to answer the questions, "What am I doing here and why?"

Joe

#35 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

Maybe Directv could use the off-shore call centers the HSPs used to close completed installations and service calls. I found the time on hold to be a calming experience that customers could benefit from experiencing.

They would have time to answer the questions, "What am I doing here and why?"

Joe

funny have not been routed to a offshore call center in awhile - unless you consder the southern part of the US offshore.

#36 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

funny have not been routed to a offshore call center in awhile - unless you consder the southern part of the US offshore.

We love northerners just the same, trust me.

#37 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

We love northerners just the same, trust me.

toured on the wing some sections of the south that I swore I was on another planet let alone offshore, but then did that in the north and west coast also.:grin:

Hit the blue ridge parkway 3 or 4 times a year to ride tail of the dragon:)

#38 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

...unless you consder the southern part of the US offshore.

No moreso than the northern part of the US.
When news breaks...we fix it.

spam firewall