Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your account is scheduled for disconnection. To reactivate service, please call Custo

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mobouser

mobouser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Had a fight with the CSR about a locked HDDVR. I have the protection plan (had it for years) never used it and wanted a new unit since this one was not working. I have since checked here and discovered that I am not alone with that problem. Anyway I argued that if you don't replace the unit then cancel my service and I hung up. She canceled my account maybe its just as well since I am a little tired of the lost signals and waiting an hour to talk to someone on the phone. My question here is when will i be disconnected and what is the procedure.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

:lol: Nice work.

So you want to know how much longer your now-free service will last?

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

well its not going to be as easy as pressing a button twice as the dvr fix was......
jeez I just pressed a red button twice and was all set.
iirc takes up 6 hours.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

well its not going to be as easy as pressing a button twice as the dvr fix was......

QFT. :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Not to mention having to set up install of another provider's (Dish, Fios, Cable) service.

To answer the question, I don't believe they send anyone to your house. I think they send you a box for each receiver that you then send back. The dish stays.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Gotta love when someone's bluff get's called and bites them in the arse. Karma. :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

Gotta love when someone's bluff get's called and bites them in the arse. Karma. :lol:

:up:
When news breaks...we fix it.

#8 OFFLINE   josetann

josetann

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

If so, it was the worst bluff in history. Hanging up right after the bluff, didn't even give them time to respond!

I've done this several times in the past (with other companies). I tell them what it'd take to keep me as a customer, they say no, I say cancel. Once I say cancel, you're wasting your breath if you try to get me to change my mind. Only reason I stay on the phone and not just hang up right away is because I want confirmation that it's being canceled.

#9 OFFLINE   kokishin

kokishin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, CA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

Gotta love it when the Directv FAN BOYS pile on.

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Gotta love it when the Directv FAN BOYS pile on.

You don't have to be a DIRECTV fanboy to jump all over this one.:D

#11 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

I'm not taking any side on this one, however, I'm curious if the person the OP talked to could get in trouble for actually canceling the account. I understand he said to so in my mind that is enough to do so, but I work in a job that you have to have restraint and not do things like that, even though I liked to punch someone atleast twice a week!

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

If the last thing the OP said was to cancel and then hung up, what is the CSR to do?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

I'm not taking any side on this one, however, I'm curious if the person the OP talked to could get in trouble for actually canceling the account. I understand he said to so in my mind that is enough to do so, but I work in a job that you have to have restraint and not do things like that, even though I liked to punch someone atleast twice a week!

It would seem to me that they could get into as much trouble not canceling the service when someone demands it.

When my box froze this morning, I did what seemed natural. I reset it. When it quickly refroze again, I reset it again and it worked. It wasn't until I discovered a second DVR froze that I checked here to see whether it was a widespread problem.

#14 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Had a fight with the CSR about a locked HDDVR. I have the protection plan (had it for years) never used it and wanted a new unit since this one was not working. I have since checked here and discovered that I am not alone with that problem. Anyway I argued that if you don't replace the unit then cancel my service and I hung up. She canceled my account maybe its just as well since I am a little tired of the lost signals and waiting an hour to talk to someone on the phone. My question here is when will i be disconnected and what is the procedure.

!rolling
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#15 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

hope recovery boxes don't get lost in mail too, that will further add to the issue.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#16 OFFLINE   grendl2000

grendl2000

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

As someone given to similar fits of pique, I empathize with mobouser's reaction, even if I do not recommend it.

I have been considering a switch from D* for awhile, simply as a money-saver. Dish has some great deals right now, and I think you can end up with a similar package for much less money. With all of the different providers offering sweet signup deals, it pays NOT to be a loyal customer. Switch every two years, and you're probably better off.

Oh, and you'll definitely need to call DirecTV a second time to get the recovery kits sent out. For some reason, they never arrive with the first request.

#17 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm not taking any side on this one, however, I'm curious if the person the OP talked to could get in trouble for actually canceling the account.

As one of my favorite sportscasters would say, "Let's go to the tape." ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

If the name of this thread is correct:

Your account is scheduled for disconnection. To reactivate service, please call Custo

then the OP's account hasn't been canceled yet. If he is willing to eat some crow, or at least admit he acted in haste, a call to DirecTV will get everything back in order without further damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if DirecTV had this as a policy. Someone slams down the phone, saying Cancel Me, instead, they are given a short period cool off and change their mind before the cancellation becomes effective.

Does anybody know if this is the case or has his account been officially terminated?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#19 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

What is funny is that in a momentary fit of rage the OP has some hassle ahead. First he/she will now be without TV until a new provider is set up. He/she now needs to disconnect, box up, and mail the D* receivers. Then the new provider will need to enter the home and set up everything. Hardly seems worth the minor inconvenience of today's events.

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Terminates his service in a fit of rage. Now has to wait for either Dish or Cable to install. Hope he has a good book to read!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...