Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your account is scheduled for disconnection. To reactivate service, please call Custo

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

As one of my favorite sportscasters would say, "Let's go to the tape." ;)

Yes, I was about to say that the tape would come into play if the OP called back complaining about being disconnected.

If I were the OP and wanted D* back I would call back and apologize for hanging up immediately after saying "cancel", especially when there were nationwide system issues today that probably were part of the OP's frustration. After all today would probably be a good day for a CSR to hear a customer apologizing rather than being upset.

Edited by john18, 09 June 2010 - 07:43 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

The CSR should not have canceled the account without verifying the situation and explaining the ramifications such as the ETF. But I bet after the DVR lockup situation this morning the phone lines were jammed with irate customers screaming about their missed recordings and locked up DVR's, so the CSR was probably at their wit's end and acted in haste.

Under normal circumstances, I'm sure the sub would have gotten a callback to verify disconnection of the account, as I recall people wishing to cancel DirecTV get transferred to the "retention" department to see WHY cancellation is being requested and to see if the customer can be saved.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#23 OFFLINE   RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

When I first read this thread I thought it was "To reactivate service, please call COSTCO"....

#24 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

The problem is that if the customer says "cancel" and then hangs up the CSR has to do it. Can you imagine what would happen if the customer said that and D* were not to do so? (Answer-Major lawsuit and/or State Attorney General getting involved.)

The one thing that a CSR could have done is attempt to call back, say that the connection was somehow disconnected, and ask if the subscriber did indeed say to cancel the account. That might have given the subscriber a few extra seconds to cool off.

#25 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

To that CSR out there...You are my hero for today. Where ever you are, when ever you get home, enjoy a nice refeshing adult beverage on me. :goodjob:!pride
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#26 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if DirecTV had this as a policy. Someone slams down the phone, saying Cancel Me, instead, they are given a short period cool off and change their mind before the cancellation becomes effective.

Does anybody know if this is the case or has his account been officially terminated?

Not sure, but this strikes me as a pretty good approach -- not only does it comply with the cancellation request (avoiding potential legal hassles assuming the billing ends on the day when they said "cancel"), but also gives a little "cooling off" period to the customer to call back and rescind the cancellation, thus keeping a subscriber.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#27 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

I can tell you that in my past I was a frontline CSR and when people said that kind of stuff and hung up I went to my supervisor and said "hey this guy just said to close/cancel his account and hung up......". In some cases I was instructed to close, in others they took the issue and who knows what happened from there. In every case I noted the account with whatever the customer said and what my supervisor said to cover my own butt. Invariably the customer calls back saying "why did you close my account?!?!?!". "well sir, you told us to"

I can also say that several times I wanted when they said "close my account....." to go *poof* "ok your account is closed, have a nice day".
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#28 OFFLINE   mobouser

mobouser

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

I'm back!! I got hot after waiting an hour for a rep and then just blew her off. Come on I'm not the first and wont be the last (look in the mirror). To keep this service you do put up with a lot of trouble from cleaning the dish in the winter to just losing service during a good rain storm. Don't forget the nickel and dime hit on your account. But as I said I'm back with D at least till something better comes my way.

#29 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm back!! I got hot after waiting an hour for a rep and then just blew her off. Come on I'm not the first and wont be the last (look in the mirror). To keep this service you do put up with a lot of trouble from cleaning the dish in the winter to just losing service during a good rain storm. Don't forget the nickel and dime hit on your account. But as I said I'm back with D at least till something better comes my way.

Been with DirecTV since 1995

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Please refrain from name calling.

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

Or sometimes weather works to your advantage. We had a huge wind storm a few years ago, and when my power came back a week later, I had TV. Others had to wait another few days to a week to get cable back.

There are pros and cons to every service. Cable is worse on nickel and diming. At least DirecTV doesn't charge DVR fees per box and charge for remotes every month.

#32 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if DirecTV had this as a policy. Someone slams down the phone, saying Cancel Me, instead, they are given a short period cool off and change their mind before the cancellation becomes effective.

Not sure, but this strikes me as a pretty good approach -- not only does it comply with the cancellation request (avoiding potential legal hassles assuming the billing ends on the day when they said "cancel"), but also gives a little "cooling off" period to the customer to call back and rescind the cancellation, thus keeping a subscriber.

A little birdy PM'd me and told me that I'd accidentally stumbled onto the truth. Although the bird didn't have intimate knowledge of this particular situation, probably the OP's account had been terminated but that termination doesn't actually take place until midnight Eastern time. This gives someone time to call back and change their mind.

Agreed, a pretty good system, all and all.

And I see it worked this way for mobouser. Welcome back. You really didn't want to cancel now, did you?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#33 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Stick a fork in this temper tantrum. :lol:

#34 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

This thread makes me lol.

#35 OFFLINE   alant40

alant40

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:11 AM

If your going to freak out, do it with the retention guys. They will calm you down and maybe offer you some perks to stay connected. I never talk to CSR's anymore, always retention. As I did tonight with the 24 month Free HD for Life promo. And I didn't threaten to cancel my account. I've been with them since 95 also...

#36 OFFLINE   mobouser

mobouser

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

I admit to the bad temper tantrum especially after checking here and finding out that this dvr lockup happened to a lot of people. But when I called back and spoke with retention (I was transferred directly to them since my services were to be disconnected at midnight) I ended up with free showtime for three months. I must say I am impressed by the wisdom on these boards. I should of checked here first before calling but then again I would not of had gotten free showtime.

#37 OFFLINE   kokishin

kokishin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:19 AM

I admit to the bad temper tantrum especially after checking here and finding out that this dvr lockup happened to a lot of people. But when I called back and spoke with retention (I was transferred directly to them since my services were to be disconnected at midnight) I ended up with free showtime for three months. I must say I am impressed by the wisdom on these boards. I should of checked here first before calling but then again I would not of had gotten free showtime.

They give away 3 months free Showtime like water. Anyway, glad u are satisfied (at least for now).

Edited by kokishin, 09 June 2010 - 07:28 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

Yep, always check here first.... Glad things worked out for you in the long run..

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#39 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

Like I said, I've been with DirecTV since 1995. In all that time I have had two grievences with them. One was a billing error that ended in my favour. The other was them not knowing how to apply the "Movers Connection" when I moved.

spam firewall