Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suggestion for how to "pause" an H24 using MRV

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

With all the help I've had from several of you, especially VOS, I've got things working very much the way I like them. The following is a suggestion - if it doesn't belong here, someone can delete this topic.

Obviously, on my HR24 I can not only "watch" TV, but also "pause" it, rewind, and so on. The single most useful thing I can do is put live TV on pause, should the phone ring or if I get interrupted by anything else.

Equally obviously, on my H24 I can't do any of that, as it's not a DVR but only a receiver.

Now that I've got the MRV working properly, the above has not changed. If i get a phone call while I'm in my bedroom watching via my H24, I'm stuck, and just have to miss part of the program. This bothered me.

I found a solution for myself, and I want to pass it on to whoever designs this software. My temporary "fix" is to just click the "record" button, which will start recording the show on my HR24 in the other room, starting at the point I pressed the "record" button. After my phone call ends, I can ignore whatever is being shown on my bedroom screen, and just press "List" and play the rest of the show that I missed.

The above works, but it's far from polished.

Here's my suggestion - change the software such that if I press "pause" on the H24, it automatically starts the recording on my HR24, stops playing the show I was watching, and switches to the recorded copy, with the viewing already set to "pause". When I finish my phone call, I just click on "play" and watch the rest of my show.

There's a lot that I don't yet know about the new software features, but this sounds like a nice function that will make what I'm now doing, much easier. Until when/if this gets added, I'll just have to remember to hit the "record" button if I get a phone call or am otherwise interrupted.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hey quit stealing my ideas :D

#3 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

IF I had a H box, when watching a program live (a very rate event for me), I would first start recording it on one of my HR boxes. This way, I would essentially have full control of the program with trick play. I would not wait until the ability to pause was actually needed. Since the program could then be deleted after watching it, there would be no reason not to do this every time. The only time there would be a problem is if all six of my tuners were recording (also a very rare event).
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

I don't foresee much happening here...this will be a moot point when the HMC comes out later on. All tuners will be in the server, and all remote clients should have pause/replay capability.

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

I have been saying for a long time that the non-DVR's should have a couple of GB of RAM for a buffer. Short money, huge functionality improvement.

spam firewall