Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does DirecTV push reboots during active recordings?

swim

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:52 PM

Let's just give up trying to answer this one. I don't think prospero63 is going to be happy with anything we say. :nono:

No matter when they do it people will complain.
Why do they do it during the day ?! :mad:
Why do they do it during the night ?! :mad:
Why do they do it at 3:00am ?! :mad:
Why does it ask me when it can reboot ?! :mad:
Why did it reboot while I was watching a recording ?! :mad:
Why did it reboot when it was recording something ?! :mad:

WHY ?! WHY ?! WHY ?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

Let's just give up trying to answer this one. I don't think prospero63 is going to be happy with anything we say. :nono:

No matter when they do it people will complain.
Why do they do it during the day ?! :mad:
Why do they do it during the night ?! :mad:
Why do they do it at 3:00am ?! :mad:
Why does it ask me when it can reboot ?! :mad:
Why did it reboot while I was watching a recording ?! :mad:
Why did it reboot when it was recording something ?! :mad:

WHY ?! WHY ?! WHY ?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, why seek any improvement. By golly, as long as DirecTV can claim to be better than Comcast, why that's good enough!!! :rolleyes:

#43 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Prospero, no doubt you asked a valid question. You even accepted Doug's best-of-bad-options explanation upthread.

Where are all the old T-shirts that read "Question Authority"?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,804 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

Yes, why seek any improvement. By golly, as long as DirecTV can claim to be better than Comcast, why that's good enough!!! :rolleyes:

Let's be real...Directv isn't going to care what us satellite TV dorks think about why they push reboots when they do. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

That's a bit of a harsh way of putting it, but not totally inaccurate. Probably 99% of people took a more passive approach than we did yesterday, and the push reboots were the fastest way to get all of them back up and running.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

The time of day is irrelevant though. Let's do this with 2 outs in the 9th inning of the last game of the world series with the tigers down by 1 with bases loaded and a full count. Is the risk of upsetting the people that are waiting to see if the Tigers win their first world series since 1984 outweighed by fixing as many issues as possible right now? Keep in mind, it's happened in the past during prime time. 1? 2? years later and there's still no mechanism to prevent that? Just seems odd to me that there's not been any apparent progress made there...

And what about those customers trying to watch the World Series that can't because their DVR is locked up and they don't know a reboot/guide flush will fix it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

How about allowing people to decide when to take a new software update? Put a option in the box that says to confirm yes to update. That way people who know what they are doing can have a bit of control over it. I could run this update tonight when I'm home so I can be there to do damage control. Now I am at work and my system has rebooted once or twice and I have no idea if the stuff I set to record tonight will work and I won't be home until after the recording starts.

Yesterday's issue had nothing to do with a firmware update, it was bad guide data that needed to be flushed. The fact that DVRs were upgraded that same night is pure coincidence.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

Bottom line, they've only had to pull this trigger a couple of times and hopefully they won't have to again.

This brings up a thought I had yesterday during all of this. My HR24 wasn't affected by the issue. That brings up the question of whether or not there is something new in the 24's that is not in the other units that can "self repair" this guide data issue.

So maybe if everyone had HR24's the issue wouldn't have happened. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#49 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

That's a bit of a harsh way of putting it, but not totally inaccurate. Probably 99% of people took a more passive approach than we did yesterday, and the push reboots were the fastest way to get all of them back up and running.

And that's a real problem with DirecTV. They've got so many customers willing to roll over, they have zero incentive to actually do anything to improve their customer service. It goes right back to why I think it's the responsibility of the consumer to wield the only influence they have, and seek credits for situations like this. I mean, you have folks outright saying there's no oversight of guide data, that no one is responsible for content, etc. All these little things add up to the failures of yesterday (and beyond and the future).

#50 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

And what about those customers trying to watch the World Series that can't because their DVR is locked up and they don't know a reboot/guide flush will fix it?

What about them? What part of what I have said implies that DirecTV shouldn't push reboots ever, in any circumstances?

#51 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

This brings up a thought I had yesterday during all of this. My HR24 wasn't affected by the issue. That brings up the question of whether or not there is something new in the 24's that is not in the other units that can "self repair" this guide data issue.

So maybe if everyone had HR24's the issue wouldn't have happened. :D

I don't want to find the reference, but someone "in the know" (it may have been Stuart though) pointed out that some HR24's did in fact have the problem.

#52 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

What about them? What part of what I have said implies that DirecTV shouldn't push reboots ever, in any circumstances?

Your earlier post stated they shouldn't push a reboot during an event such as the World Series so you don't miss the game. What about those who can't watch it without the pushed reboot? Or does it only matter that you get to watch the game?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#53 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

Your earlier post stated they shouldn't push a reboot during an event such as the World Series so you don't miss the game. What about those who can't watch it without the pushed reboot? Or does it only matter that you get to watch the game?

Actually, I don't think I said that at all. What I did was use the world series as an example of a type of event that the poster I was replying to might not be so passe about missing. I did that in response to a general attitude of "well, the only thing missed in the middle of the day is Judge Judy so get over it".

If you actually take the time to read what I have written, I've never said DirecTV shouldn't push reboots. I've said that the push system should be more intelligent so that if at all possible it avoids rebooting systems that don't need it and avoids rebooting during times that a program is scheduled to record. Nothing more sinister or selfish than that.

#54 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Actually, I don't think I said that at all. What I did was use the world series as an example of a type of event that the poster I was replying to might not be so passe about missing. I did that in response to a general attitude of "well, the only thing missed in the middle of the day is Judge Judy so get over it".

If you actually take the time to read what I have written, I've never said DirecTV shouldn't push reboots. I've said that the push system should be more intelligent so that if at all possible it avoids rebooting systems that don't need it and avoids rebooting during times that a program is scheduled to record. Nothing more sinister or selfish than that.

Oh I took the time to read what you wrote, if I hadn't I wouldn't have quoted it. You were saying you would be upset if the reboot happened in the middle of the World Series. My question, which you still haven't answered, is what if others couldn't even watch the World Series without the reboot that would disrupt your viewing of it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

I don't want to find the reference, but someone "in the know" (it may have been Stuart though) pointed out that some HR24's did in fact have the problem.

Yes, I know that some HR24s were affected. For the record mine were not, but I can't tell you why.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#56 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

"If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
it were done quickly."

Macbeth didn't wait when he had a "messy" job to do. The fact that he's burning in Hell for eternity is, of course, another matter.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#57 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Oh I took the time to read what you wrote, if I hadn't I wouldn't have quoted it. You were saying you would be upset if the reboot happened in the middle of the World Series. My question, which you still haven't answered, is what if others couldn't even watch the World Series without the reboot that would disrupt your viewing of it?

Nah, it's pretty clear you aren't reading anything. I've already answered this.

#58 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

Nah, it's pretty clear you aren't reading anything. I've already answered this.

No, you haven't but I give up.... You're obviously skirting around the issue because you're only concern is you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#59 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

Bet you didn't get your dime from D* yet either.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#60 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Bet you didn't get your dime from D* yet either.

Actually, I got 150 dimes. Read on here that someone else got 300 dimes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swim

spam firewall