Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does DirecTV push reboots during active recordings?

swim

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

No, you haven't but I give up.... You're obviously skirting around the issue because you're only concern is you.

I haven't skirted around any issue. You spent all your time posting an attempt to setup a straw man position that "my only concern is me". I didn't bother with it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Actually, I got 150 dimes. Read on here that someone else got 300 dimes.

You were significantly overcompensated for your inconvenience and yet you continue to whine.

You've obviously decided you just plain want to be angry and combative about this.

Carry on. (pun intended)
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#63 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

Considering what was going on yesterday, I think DirecTV restarted at the right time...when taken in context of the situation that is. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#64 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

You were significantly overcompensated for your inconvenience and yet you continue to whine.

You've obviously decided you just plain want to be angry and combative about this.

Carry on. (pun intended)

I'm not in the slightest bit angry. I think there's an opportunity for DirecTV to improve, simple as that. I know there's tons of folks who are sheep (irony on your zappa quote) and believe that it's their role in life to simply get in line and shut up, but my experience is if no one speaks up, nothing ever gets better.

#65 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

Considering what was going on yesterday, I think DirecTV restarted at the right time...when taken in context of the situation that is. :)

Mike

Sure, and taken in context of the options available to them. If they had other options though, surely that should be explored, wouldn't you agree? Honestly, it's kind of funny to me that given an option between a) a better way that DirecTV could accomplish the same results with even less customer impact and B) the current solution so many folks seem to be so resistant to change. Where's my Clayton Williams quote again...

#66 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,556 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

Sure, and taken in context of the options available to them. If they had other options though, surely that should be explored, wouldn't you agree?

Hahahahahaha.

You are ASSUMING they did not try to figure out something else and you are making the judgment call that if they did not have something in the time they needed to make the decision to force a reboot that they could safely test an alternative. All without complete data. And, of course, you studied the impacts of other alternatives.

I am glad you do not make the decisions for DirecTV.

You make it sound like they just force system wide reboots all the time. And are assuming that they took the worst alternative.

Look, if a five minute reboot fixes MILLIONS of systems, where is the downside?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#67 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

This thread needs some

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1276112829

to go with all the whine.

Attached Thumbnails

• who-moved-my-cheese.jpg

Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#68 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Wow, what a big todo about nothing. It's TV. It's not the end of the world. Systems aren't 100%. There will be downtime. Sometimes the fix involves an immediate reboot. I work at a university and there was a problem, during finals, with the online class system. Had to be rebooted. Sometimes life isn't fair, sometimes the fix isn't perfect, but we just have to deal with it.

#69 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Look, if a five minute reboot fixes MILLIONS of systems, where is the downside?

The downside is when they fix something that's not broken. And I haven't assumed anything other than the obvious, which is in all things there's room for improvement.

#70 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

to go with all the whine.

I know, right? It's crazy that there are so many folks so enamored with DirecTV that even the mere mention of improvement sends them scuttling to defend it. It's pretty funny to be honest.

#71 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

I can't believe someone actually thinks they need to be compensated over what happened yesterday. :rolleyes:

File a lawsuit demanding compensation for pain and suffering. :icon_cry:

#72 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Wow, what a big todo about nothing. It's TV. It's not the end of the world. Systems aren't 100%. There will be downtime. Sometimes the fix involves an immediate reboot. I work at a university and there was a problem, during finals, with the online class system. Had to be rebooted. Sometimes life isn't fair, sometimes the fix isn't perfect, but we just have to deal with it.

OK, I gotta drop it again.

During the 1990 Texas Gubernatorial candidate Clayton Williams made a joke about how rape was like bad weather. His comment was "If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it".

I've never said anything about perfection. Other folks have. I've never said DirecTV shouldn't do reboots. Other folks have. What I have said is that there's no reason that "we just have to deal with it" any more than folks should "just relax and enjoy it".

If something can be improved, why so much resistance to the mere concept? I mean, no one "needs" high def TV. For that matter, no one "needs" TV. But at some point someone asked the question "hey, can we improve this" and went off and did it. I guess we should all be thankful that while there seem to be a lot of folks on this forum that are quite dogged in their eternal pursuit of mediocrity, that at least at DirecTV there's folks who actually spend time thinking about and working on ways to make things better.

#73 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

I can't believe someone actually thinks they need to be compensated over what happened yesterday. :rolleyes:

I can't believe so many people are so content spending money for nothing. I mean, with such commitment to paying for something they didn't receive, I'm tempted to setup a paypal account so y'all can send me money and I can most assuredly promise you'll get nothing in return. :lol:

File a lawsuit demanding compensation for pain and suffering. :icon_cry:

No need to. It's in the DirecTV contract. If there was a service interruption that is deemed to have been preventable it's the responsibility of the consumer to contact DirecTV and inquire about it and it's the responsibility of DirecTV to determine if compensation is warranted. Clearly DirecTV has decided that it is.

It's funny to me that so many people (probably most if not all of you complaining here) are more than happy to go ask for free HD (seeing as how DirecTV offers it) but find it morally reprehensible to ask for other things DirecTV offers. Heck, I actually find it to be pretty noble on your parts, seeing as how you eschew all discounts and pay full price and not a penny more for DirecTV service. Good for you!

#74 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

OK, I gotta drop it again.

During the 1990 Texas Gubernatorial candidate Clayton Williams made a joke about how rape was like bad weather. His comment was "If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it".

I've never said anything about perfection. Other folks have. I've never said DirecTV shouldn't do reboots. Other folks have. What I have said is that there's no reason that "we just have to deal with it" any more than folks should "just relax and enjoy it".

If something can be improved, why so much resistance to the mere concept? I mean, no one "needs" high def TV. For that matter, no one "needs" TV. But at some point someone asked the question "hey, can we improve this" and went off and did it. I guess we should all be thankful that while there seem to be a lot of folks on this forum that are quite dogged in their eternal pursuit of mediocrity, that at least at DirecTV there's folks who actually spend time thinking about and working on ways to make things better.

First, your quote is sickening. :nono2:

Second, since you're so concerned how to make it better, then go apply for a job. You seem to be an expert. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#75 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

And on that note, I have no choice but to put a fork in this thread. It's done.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swim

Protected By... spam firewall...And...