Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH protection plan $6/month $25 to cancel

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

According to DISH's website they "may" charge you a $25 fee once you drop the protection plan. Has anyone seen this after dropping their plan? See site below (end of page)

http://www.dishnetwo...an/default.aspx

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

I'm a new customer and was in month 5 of the free 6 months of the Dishnetwork protection service plan.

I just canceled the protection plan and was assured that I would not be charged the $25 cancel fee,but the CSR went out of her way to explain if I added the protection plan back to my account later on the $25 fee would apply to shut it off.

I'm not sure of the full rules surrounding this $25 fee but it sound like a cash grab to me. :(

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

Yes, I got charged the $25. That's why I have that first line in my signature, there. I lost the bet. :grin:

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   mark722

mark722

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

Actually, if you cancel it at the beginning of your billing cycle, it's only $19 to cancel since they would give you a $6 credit. This is still cheaper than paying $6 a month ( $72 a year ) for something you don't need all of the time. :)

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Sounds more like a defense against the folks that would sign up for the HPP after a problem cropped up and then cancelled the HPP immediately after the problem was corrected.

Clearly this was not the case in the situation where the person cancelled the HPP at the end of a free promo.

:up:

This is exactly why they instituted the penalty fee... because so many people were adding the DHPP for one month to address an issue, then dropping it again after getting the free/reduced rate repair.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

:up:

This is exactly why they instituted the penalty fee... because so many people were adding the DHPP for one month to address an issue, then dropping it again after getting the free/reduced rate repair.

I wouldn't be to hard to find a couple of Hundred times it was recommended to somebody in these Forums in the past( and still to this day) for somebody with a problem to simply add HPP, and then remove it afterwards. System was just way to abused, rather we like it or not, Dish had to stop the abuse.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

But, didn't some CSR's suggest doing that as well?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

But, didn't some CSR's suggest doing that as well?

It was pretty rampant, and there was and still is NOTHING wrong with it. Now you kow you can add it for $6, cancel fo $25, and its still cheaper than the $99 visit with out HPP.

#9 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

It was pretty rampant, and there was and still is NOTHING wrong with it. Now you kow you can add it for $6, cancel fo $25, and its still cheaper than the $99 visit with out HPP.

I'll second that.:)

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

Yeah, this is an example of a "market correction."

Too many people were taking advantage of the program, so Dish instituted a penalty to discourage some of it. This is very much like the other thread where we were discussing the programming downgrade fees... Same issue, people taking advantage of a loophole, so Dish is trying to plug it.

It was bad, though, that some CSRs were recommending people add DHPP to get discounted service, then drop it. But it at least wasn't illegal, like when some Dish employees were recommending lying to get distant locals... which eventually led to Dish losing the right to deliver those.

#11 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

The next thing Dish will probably do is add a waiting period before you can use the DHPP after you first add it.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

And it is still highly morally and ethically suspect, just like it was before they instigated the fee....:nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

And it is still highly morally and ethically suspect, just like it was before they instigated the fee....:nono2:

You get Dish employee's to stop, and I will back you on the moral and ehtical issue.

#14 OFFLINE   Tony S

Tony S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

When I signed up for the protection plan (to get eastern arc), the 'terms and conditions' stated that if you canceled it before two months had passed you would be charged a $25 cancellation fee. This implied that if you kept it for at least two months that you would not be charged the $25. I am positive that that is what I read when I signed up. Has that policy been changed?

#15 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Dish sets a fee and outlines the rules for use of a service. It's customers then decide how best to use that service within the guidelines that are set. Morals, Ethics.....really?

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

Dish sets a fee and outlines the rules for use of a service. It's customers then decide how best to use that service within the guidelines that are set. Morals, Ethics.....really?

Don't really want to get into an ethical debate... but ethics are not necessarily equal to laws.

The law doesn't (and shouldn't) require you to be nice to an elderly lady at the bus stop, but it would be nice if you were.

Better examples than that exist... but the gist is... just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

Don't really want to get into an ethical debate... but ethics are not necessarily equal to laws.

The law doesn't (and shouldn't) require you to be nice to an elderly lady at the bus stop, but it would be nice if you were.

Better examples than that exist... but the gist is... just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Well, maybe.

I don't happen to agree with the Supreme Court that a corporation is to be regarded as a person. It's a legal fiction designed to facilitate making money with which real persons engage in contractual relationships, whether they be customers, employees, other service providers, or shareholders. Sometimes corporate owners do show remarkable ethical behavior beyond their legal obligations and when that happens we see news stories, it is so unusual.

I do not think it is unethical or immoral for customers to conform to the contractual provisions of the relationship as provided in advance in writing by the corporation to its customers.

For instance, I'm not sure what to say about the fact that many of us here ceased to pay for Platinum last August in conformance to what was in a printed policy statement while those that didn't become aware of the policy continued to pay $10 a month. The fact was you had to ask Dish for the charge to be eliminated on future bills and Dish didn't notify current customers nor did they automatically eliminate the charge for all customers. Some would find that ethically questionable behavior on the part of Dish Network. I don't because they are a corporation.

So I can comfortably say that I don't think it was unethical for a customer to add the DHPP for one month to address an issue, then drop it after getting the free/reduced rate repair. Just like Dish didn't feel obligated to notify current customers about the free Platinum, those who got the free/reduced rate repair were under no obligation to tell Dish about the apparent cost problem with their policy nor were the customers obligated to not save money.

And conceptually, there is the whole issue of "leased" equipment. Unless you buy the equipment (dish, wires, receiver/DVR), Dish is effectively like a landlord charging you for equipment that you need to use its service, much like the landlord is leasing you the stove in the kitchen. A landlord is obligated to fix the stove when it breaks. Dish dodges that obligation by specifically disclaiming in writing any obligation and by offering the DHPP. Ethically that seems questionable to me. But that's the way it is - Dish is a corporation which solely exists in a world of legal writings like contracts.

So if a customer conforms to the letter of the DHPP offer, the customer is meeting all obligations, legal and ethical. If anything, within the framework of ethical issues, the unaware customer who paid the higher charges for service calls was being cheated IMHO.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Its still cheaper then paying the $95 if you dont have the protection plan cause if you get the protrction plan right when the problem happens they charge you $6 ok the Tech will now come for $15 thats $21 call after the tech leaves to cancel they charge $25 thats $46 so you are still saving $49.

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

You base your ethical behavior and sense of fair play on what you perceive is the behavior of others? (This after arguing that Dish is not a person and thus not subject to the rules.) Incredible!

No, what I am saying is that ethical behavior and sense of fair play are, to fall back on a legal phrase, terms-of-art that can only be used in person-to-person relationships not wholly defined by legal writings.

The moment an "entity" is created by the state through legal writings (articles of incorporation, for instance), "ethical" behavior can only be defined in terms of the writings and the law. IMHO a "for profit" corporation properly "behaves" in a way that maximizes its profit. Sometimes that "behavior" needs to conform to person-to-person standards if in the long run that will maximize profits. But in no way can I ascribe to an entity which has the soul of piece of paper the ability to have a "sense of fair play."

I inherently have a distaste for the concept of a corporation as it is used in our society. At least with limited partnerships there is still one or more partners who are owners with social obligations including ethics and morals as well as clearly being subject to legal action for the acts of the business.

This is my opinion and I recognize that whole theories of ethical corporate behavior involving human social standards have been developed and even taught in school. I just don't happen to think they make any sense in the real world because corporate officers can be sued by shareholders for failing to act in such a way as to maximize corporate profits. They are not held to any legal standard of not being civil enough to customers, but rather to a legal standard of not making enough off customers. That is, of course, simplistic, but it reflects a core truth.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#20 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

That isn't what Phrelin said at all.

Dish does everything it does to make more money to enhance shareholder profit. They have neither 'ethics' or 'morals', those are fictional terms when it comes to corporations. The have done and still do things that would not be considered ethical or moral were you to do the same things.

The lease is a first example. A lease is in your contract, which is 2 years in length. No ethical or moral reason for the lease fee to change during the 2 years you are contracted with them for. But yet, they just did that. Raised all the lease fees.

The early-termination-fee is quoted as many different numbers, depending on what contract you look at. For instance, the dish 'n it up calls for $10/month. Do you think that is what you'll pay if you terminate early? I don't think so.

All of that, and more is completely described in your contract, something like 'we can change any and all of this contract at our whim'. And of course, they do change many different things and generally don't tell you about them at all unless you ask.

Therefore our obligation to them is to pay the bill on time until they no longer are providing the goods/services that are worth that bill. To see it in any other way is rather foolish, imo.

I will pay the bill and keep the service until the very day that I feel the bill is more than the goods and services are not worth it. Then I will attempt to get them reduced and if not successful, cancel on the spot.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...