Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH protection plan $6/month $25 to cancel

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,477 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

What's really interesting is the agreement begins as follows:

DISH Network L.L.C., formerly Echostar Satellite L.L.C. ( “DISH Network”), 9601 S. Meridian Blvd., Englewood, CO 80112, 1-800-333-DISH (3474), is the obligor (“Obligor”) of this Service Plan service contract (“Plan”) in all states except as follows. In Alabama, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont , Virginia and Wyoming, Federal Warranty Service Corporation, P.O Box 105689, Atlanta, GA 30348-5689, is the Obligor of the Plan. In California, the Obligor of this Plan is Sureway, Inc., P.O Box 105689, Atlanta, GA 30348-5689. In Florida, the Obligor of this Plan is American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida (for Plans written prior to November 1, 2007) and United Service Protection, Inc. (for Plans written on or after November 1, 2007). In all states, DISH Network is the administrator of this Plan. The service performed under this Plan is provided through DISH Network.

These companies are, or are subsidiaries of, large insurance and investment type corporations and you'll find similar listings ranging from Staples warranty program to the bankrupt Circuit City warranty and maintenance program. So Dish is reinsuring its risk which means that the $6 a month gets spread around the profit and loss statements of some profitable corporations.

My problem with Dish doing that is that unlike Circuit City or Staples, Dish is maintaining only Echostar products and its own installations. It really shouldn't need to reinsure its own work IMHO. And it isn't like when you lease a car through a dealer using a leasing company, all somewhat removed from Ford. I can't separate my ongoing usage of the equipment from a direct service connection to Dish Network with one exception, I can get distant locals from another provider.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

Or instead of going into the "insurance" business, they could charge and set aside 50¢± per account per month which would generate about $90,000,000 a year and make repairs with a reasonable approach to dealing with damage caused by the customer and damage covered by a typical homeowners/renters insurance policy. Or to quote myself:

They could, but obviously they decided they like the way they do it better. I'm sure they've done all sorts of studies and research, paid accountants and lawyers to figure it all out and they've decided the way they do it makes the most economic sense for them. Personally I kind of like the idea that i'm responsible for my own maintenance of my dish system where I get to decide if something goes wrong if I want to or am capable of fixing it myself, whether I want to pay a Dish technician do the work or take the Service plan and just have blanket coverage whenever I might need it. And if I ever decided I don't like how they have it set up I could check out DirecTv or cable and see how they handle it and see if I like that any better.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#43 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,477 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

They could, but obviously they decided they like the way they do it better. I'm sure they've done all sorts of studies and research, paid accountants and lawyers to figure it all out and they've decided the way they do it makes the most economic sense for them. Personally I kind of like the idea that i'm responsible for my own maintenance of my dish system where I get to decide if something goes wrong if I want to or am capable of fixing it myself, whether I want to pay a Dish technician do the work or take the Service plan and just have blanket coverage whenever I might need it. And if I ever decided I don't like how they have it set up I could check out DirecTv or cable and see how they handle it and see if I like that any better.

I don't have the plan. I have paid a total of $85 including tips for maintenance/repairs in the last 5 years.

Truthfully, I used to do it myself, but I'm getting a little old to deal with the main dish and the switch up nearly 3 stories on the roof. If I do have someone come out, it is a subcontractor to a contractor to Dish, so I have to supervise and they still have to use my ladders.

When it comes to the DVR having problems, Dish just sends me a refurb - well, likely two refurbs because the first one won't work.:rolleyes:

With that said, I still think Dish should be responsible for providing a service that means delivering a usable signal to my "TV" including uplink to satellite signal to dish to receiver/DVR outputs. Problems before the outputs essentially mean they aren't delivering the service IMHO. It just isn't comparable to OTA broadcast TV where the viewer does not send money to the stations every month and must provide his/her own antenna.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#44 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:02 AM

Ever lease an automobile? A boat? An aircraft? A truck? Heavy equipment? etc, etc, etc. :rolleyes:

I don't think there is a perfect analogy to apply to what is being discussed, but I think the car lease is the closest. You lease a car and it comes with a factory warranty, usually 12 - 36 mo bumper to bumper, then other warranties on powertrain, etc. If you bought the car outright it would come with the same warranty. They usually offer you an Extended Service Protection Plan, which covers you for things after the bumper to bumper ends. Some buy it, some don't.

Most electronics are sold, not leased, but in the case of E*, D* & the cablecos, they gets customers by leasing the equipment because most people won't pay what these things cost up front. Electronics warranties are much shorter than cars (certainly not as durable goods), usually 3 mos, parts & labor, one year parts. If Dish leases you a new 722, they warranty it for a short period, (I'm not sure how long) if it breaks they replace it, then after that it is on you, but they do offer DHPP for a fee and they set up the rules on how it's used.

I lease 2 cars. One is a Honda Accord. 24 months and 22K adult driven miles into a 36 month lease, the Honda needs rear brakes (metal to metal, fronts still at 75% life) for $425, new tires for $450 and a front end alignment for $70 in addition to the usual oil change and tire rotation $50. Now the car is still under 36 month bumper to bumper warranty, not so fast, the items listed are not covered because they are "wear items," check the fine print. They did offer the extended warranty that I didn't buy, but the items listed wouldn't have been covered by that either. I have bought extended warranties on other cars in the past only to find that most things that break either aren't covered or they only pay a certain percentage of the repair, only cover the part, not labor etc. and on major items like powertrain only cover for used replacements or rebuilt. That's why I no longer buy them.

Dish offers DHPP for $6 a month, some buy it, most don't. If you have it and you have a problem they generally take care of the problem, replace the equipment, etc., etc., for the prescribed fee (usually $15) unless there is proof that you physically abused the equipment. I have not heard of Dish not honoring or trying to wiggle out of the DHPP. The point is that leased equipment is technically owned by the provider, but the law treats it as though you are the owner. At least Dish honors the warranty if you buy it is my only point. And they also let you buy it after you've had a problem. Try getting a car shop to do that.

#45 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

The car lease analogy doesn't hold up in comparison. What we are really doing is renting the equipment from the sat provider. A lease is generally a fixed term/fixed price deal, and you can hardly call what E* and D* do a lease. They only want to call it that so they can get out of the maintenance.

In a car lease, at the end of the fixed term, you either get a replacement vehicle with a new fixed term/price, or you just turn in the car. In a sat provider 'lease', it is a fully open ended deal. Neither the term, nor the price is fixed beyond the current/next monthly bill. Just like a month-to-month house rental except that there is a minimum term at the front. But unlike the house rental, where wear and tear is part of the deal, you pay for all maintenance of their equipment/installation.

The way I figure it is that it costs 'x' dollars a month to have the service and maintenance, and as long as that cost is reasonable to ME, I'll keep paying the bill and keeping the service. But since they write the terms of the non-negotiable contract, I feel no urge/responsibility to do anything beyond what those terms are, nor do I feel un-ethical or immoral if I take advantage of a quirk in their contract.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#46 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

... nor do I feel un-ethical or immoral if I take advantage of a quirk in their contract.

I love it. A quirk. :rolleyes:

#47 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

Here's what I think they should do:

• Reduce the service call fees to whatever it would be to add DPP, pay for the service call and remove DPP.
  • If someone does have DPP, they pay nothing for service calls
  • Raise the price to remove DPP to the point where it wouldn't be cheaper to add it, create a service call and remove it

This would equal things out for everyone. Right now, there is no incentive to carry the DPP from month to month and those doing so are wasting money.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#48 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,477 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

IMHO if the service plan were a part of all packages, it would cost less than 50¢ a customer. I just don't accept the idea that if your product is a television signal delivered into the home in usable form at a price, you say "except that we only guarantee it as far as the air space above your roof unless you pay $6 a month more."

My AV Setup

#49 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

I love it. A quirk. :rolleyes:

I'm glad I could make you smile.

How about a carefully crafted paragraph in a contract written by highly paid lawyers?

A contract that is very one-sided and totally changeable by those that wrote it with our only remedy to cancel service and pay a penalty for that.

How's that smile coming along... :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#50 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

How's that smile coming along... :)