Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/Whole Home DVR playlist unavailable

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Please forgive me, as I am not an installer, or tech savvy to say the least.

Here is the history:
I am a new DirecTV customer (just switched from Dish after 6+ years). We signed up for Whole Home DVR service and have an HR24 and H24, along with a standard receiver. The came on Saturday to install our system. He installed a Slimline Dish and all three receivers using our coax that Dish Network used. We noticed after he left that the VOD and Whole Home DVR were not working. After hours of tech support, they were at a loss and said a tech would come out. Our technicial came back out Sunday with a part that he promised would fix it (didn't fix it and he took it with him). He said he'd be back with a different part 8am Monday. At 1pm Monday he showed up with a DECA and something labeled SWM ODU Only ( i think it is a power inserter). He said we needed another line of coax from the satellite to the inserter (what he called a SWM but does not look like anything I have found on here). He got a drill and almost started drilling through the front wall of my living room to the outside!! I stopped him and made my husband come home from work. Technician told him that we have to drill to get it no matter what, but that it would fix everything. We supposedly had to have another line to fix the DVR issue. Needless to say, we have several holes from our living room to a spare bedroom, and we still don't have the issue fixed. When the tech left. he said he would be back with new receivers and that would have to fix it. he came back today with a H21 (which I am thinking is a downgrade in equipment, right?) I made him put our receiver back and demanded that a manager contact me and fix this or take all equipment out of the house. (Enter Dip**** #2 and #3). They said the HR24 and H24 are crappy equipment and are not compatible. They said it must be our router. They wanted to remove all firewalls from our router and modem. They tried all kinds of BS, nothing fixed anything. We are able to access our computer from the H24 but not the VOD or the DVR playlist. Tech was recording shows from H24 that showed up on the HR24, but still wasn't able to access playlist or VOD.

Oh, and I have not located a SWM splitter on the outside of my house and what is behind my TV is only a DECA and what looks to be a power inserter. Is the issue that there isn't a SWM splitter?

Any suggestions on how to handle this situation would be GREATLY appreciated. I will again be the one to deal with the technicians tomorrow. My husband wants to go back to Dish Network since a dual tuner is essentially what we need, but its more expensive and DirecTV has VOD and media share.... Oh, what to do......

Thank you in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,094 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Couple things...
VOD takes 24 hours to load. You can't do VOD on the non DVR - it needs a hard drive to download to. Make sure no network plugs are connected to the HR24 or H24. There should be 3 lines to your home...1 to the HR24, 1 to the H24, & 1 to a DECA box. The DECA box needs a power supply and the DECA connects to your router...that's it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

If the DECA adapter that connectes to your router is near one of your receivers, the line to that receiver is generally split for use with both that receiver and the DECA adapter connected to your router.

Also, there should be no ethernet cables connected to the receivers, just to the DECA adapter. There should be 2 power inserters, one for the SWM and one for the DECA adapter. They may be the same, but may not be. There is no reason to run another line form the dish inside your house, as with SWM, you can split lines as needed. Make sure every splitter used has a green label on it.

One last thing, make sure the DECA adapter on the router has all three green lights lit solid. Also make sure that sharing is enabled on the HR24.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,094 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'd make them run new coax, not use Dish's old ones. Clean, new runs are better.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

I'd make them run new coax, not use Dish's old ones. Clean, new runs are better.

Maybe better, but not always practical. There's no way I would let DIRECTV run all new lines in my house. I am using the lines pre-run in my house when it was built. Luckily there are all home runs, and work great.

#6 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Yeah, it isn't feasable though. Our lines were put in when our house was being built before the drywall was put up and we are on a slab foundation with brand new blown in insulation in our attic (15 extra inches I think).

The DECA is the only thing connected to the router and it has its own coax and power supply. Then there is the black box, that plugs into the wall and is labeled SWM ODU Only on the top, and is labeled Power Inserter Model# PI21R1-03 on the bottom. This has the coax that was pulled from the spare bedroom since we weren't putting satellite in there, and the installer said we HAD to do it. That coax goes into the port labeled Power to SWM and another piece of coax goes from the port labeled Out to IRD to our HR24.

Does this make sense? I hope someone has some ideas since DirecTV is throwing their hands in the air. I was told my DirecTV installer and customer service that VOD once in our playlist could be shared with the other HD receiver.

Edited by tomlisa555, 09 June 2010 - 01:36 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

How many cables are coming from your dish? There should only be one. That line should run to a splitter (possibly through a ground block first) which distributes to each receiver/DVR. One port on that splitter is power passing and must be connected to the power inserter. Your DECA that connects to your router needs its own power inserter which may or may not be the same model as the SWM power inserter.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

My advice would be, when the tech is there, log in to this site and ask questions. Also get him to call his supervisor with you in the room if he's stuck.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thank you for your replies. The technician came this morning with a new HR24 and new H24 to swap with me, and that, along with resetting them several times somehow got everything working... for about an hour. Then it was back to being able to record from h24 but not being able to access the playlist at all. Spoke to tech and his supervisor. They sent a guy who they referred to as their regional trainer. He put a splitter on one of the two coax cables behind the HR24 so now here is how it is connected:

One coax goes from satellite to splitter, then connects to deca and swm power inserter (deca has seperate power inserter)

Other coax goes from satellite to the receiver.

The only ethernet cable is connected from router to the deca.

The trainer got it up and running. I could finally see and manage the recordings on the H24. I had several things recording and playing, etc.
After he left, I attempted to delete a recording from H24 (deletion is set to allowed on all tvs) and the receiver froze up. Once it unfroze, the playlist wasn't available again and the HR24 is not showing up under the MultiRoom View menu anymore. I called the trainer and told him the issue. he said he put the deca and power inserter on a splitter because we have a 4 way splitter on the outside of the house and thought things were not getting the right signal, and thought it was why it was working when he left.

He is at a loss. We are able to access VOD on the HR24 and media share on both computers, so the internet is working and connected, but the receivers are not communicating anymore. DirecTV customer advocacy team has said that they will cancel our service with no penalty. We are sitting on the offer until we can find out what the trainer's manager can do for us. On to Day 6 of install...

I will try my best to get online and post while the techs are here. I have an infant and am pregnant so my#1 goal has been not to get sick and to keep my baby quiet while they are here! lol Sad but true...

#10 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

Update:

After 8 service calls and several new receivers, new lines run from splitter to each receiver, we are having issues again. We had perfect service for two days, then one morning, we turned on the H24 and the playlist was blank again. It shows that MRV is authorized and it is showing the HR24 is connected. We reset the receivers and now "please wait" is showing on the receiver and we are unable to access the playlist. Only after installing a new receiver does the playlist show up and only for a day it seems. Once we turn the unit back on in the morning, it isn't communicating with the DVR.

Is there possibly a setting that is incorrect and is causing the units to stop communicating? I am able to access Mediashare on both rcvrs. The techs have said that I am getting "banging" signal from the dish (their words) and that our internet speed is more than enough. What could we (and the 7 techs that have been to my home) be missing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

Are you using static IP addresses or have you set them as auto and using the DHCP IPs from your router?
There are some DECA networking tests you can run from the 24s, but this seems more like a basic network problem [from others with a similar problem]
It might be worth looking at the info screen on each receiver and see what it shows under the network status, and then compare them to see that they all match.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

The receivers are set to auto configure and the DVR is showing its ip address as 192.168.2.7 and our hd rcvr is showing as 192.168.2.6

So are you saying that they should have the same IP address? If so, can you please explain how to I would set that up?

Thank you for your quick reply!

#13 OFFLINE   Dradran

Dradran

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

The receivers are set to auto configure and the DVR is showing its ip address as 192.168.2.7 and our hd rcvr is showing as 192.168.2.6

So are you saying that they should have the same IP address? If so, can you please explain how to I would set that up?

I believe what VOS is saying is the router is probably set to DHCP, normally the default, which assigns IP addresses automatically based on the pool of addresses you have setup on your router. If you reboot your router or DVR it is possible for it to acquire a new ip address. Whether this is your problem or not, I have no idea. I am getting it installed today.

It is possible through the router configuration to reserve an IP address based of the devices MAC address so whenever that device connects to the network it will always have the same ip address.

However, I can assure you that the DVR and the HD Rcvr have to have different IP addresses. Think of it this way, the mailman wouldn't know where to deliver the mail if there were 2 houses on the same street with the same address.

HTH

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

I believe what VOS is saying is the router is probably set to DHCP, normally the default, which assigns IP addresses automatically based on the pool of addresses you have setup on your router. If you reboot your router or DVR it is possible for it to acquire a new ip address. Whether this is your problem or not, I have no idea. I am getting it installed today.

It is possible through the router configuration to reserve an IP address based of the devices MAC address so whenever that device connects to the network it will always have the same ip address.

However, I can assure you that the DVR and the HD Rcvr have to have different IP addresses. Think of it this way, the mailman wouldn't know where to deliver the mail if there were 2 houses on the same street with the same address.

HTH

"Yeah" this was where I was going.
Some had problems with static IPs, but it looks like you're not using them and the router is doing the job.
Since my DECA setup seems to be updating my playlists, I'm a bit at a loss.
"Maybe" rebooting all the receivers, one at a time will help. If not then at least this could be a good baseline to see how long before your have the problem again and which is the first [or only] one to have it.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Ok, so I went through my router and assigned IP addresses to each rcvr and rebooted everything. Still same problem. When you hit list, the playlist is grayed out and blank, and a message saying please way comes up in the lower right hand corner, and now I cannot even change the channel or bring up the menu. (I could before and the please wait message would stay in the corner)

I have been searching many different forums, and yes, I do seem to be the only one with this issue so far. It is so annoying. I really want to keep the service, as it is so much better than dish, but I have the customer advocacy team calling wanting to send more people out or cancel, at my decision. We have missed so much work and the techs normally stay here for anywhere between 5 and 10 hours at a time and then it stops working again.
Sorry for rambling. I just wish this would work! Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. i will try anything!

#16 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

ok after re-reading the last post... i must have misunderstood what you meant.

Rebooting or resetting does not fix the problem. Only after a tech replaces one of the receivers (either the dvr or hd rcvr) does the playlist show up on the hd rcvr. I do not understand why it only works after that change, but it starts to mess up the next morning. So... somehow overnight while the units are off, they drop communication, even though it shows multiroom is set up and internet is connected. Again, any suggestions?

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Again, any suggestions?

OK let's look at the DECA network.
Go to either 24 and on the front panel, press the guide & > buttons at the same time. This can be a bit tricky to get to work so keep at it until you see a blue screen and have:
phone
Coax network
Done

Pick coax network and then you will see a list. Copy this in a post.
There is a second test that lists a matrix of bit-rates. Post this too.

With these we can see how good or bad your DECA network is.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,045 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

OK let's look at the DECA network.
Go to either 24 and on the front panel, press the guide & > buttons at the same time. This can be a bit tricky to get to work so keep at it until you see a blue screen and have:
phone
Coax network
Done

Pick coax network and then you will see a list. Copy this in a post.
There is a second test that lists a matrix of bit-rates. Post this too.

With these we can see how good or bad your DECA network is.

tomlisa555 -- by following VOS' directions...your results of the first list (left side of the grid below) and the second list (right side of the grid below) should look at least something like this...

0 NODE - 33 --- 248 252 249 252 252
1 NODE - N/A -- 250 245 253 250 249 (HR24)
2 NODE - 32 --- 247 253 235 251 250
3 NODE - 29 --- 247 253 252 246 249 (H24)
4 NODE - 32 --- 245 248 249 246 242

Dropped Session Count is 0
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

Cool, I hope this info can get some results...

INFO SCREEN
Node Ids Friendly Names MAC Addresses Phy Levels
0 (blank) 0003783769bc n/a
1 Living Room 0003783177b2 39
2 node-000858f8a735 000858f8a735 39

dropped session count is 0

PHY RATE MESH SCREEN
Nds 0 1 2
0 240 240 243
1 240 240 239
2 243 243 243

Thanks! please let me know if there is anything else I can do to get more infor for you.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Cool, I hope this info can get some results...

INFO SCREEN
Node Ids Friendly Names MAC Addresses Phy Levels
0 (blank) 0003783769bc n/a
1 Living Room 0003783177b2 39
2 node-000858f8a735 000858f8a735 39

dropped session count is 0

PHY RATE MESH SCREEN
Nds 0 1 2
0 240 240 243
1 240 240 239
2 243 243 243

Thanks! please let me know if there is anything else I can do to get more infor for you.

"yeah", it doesn't look like this a DECA networking problem. Both the losses and the bit-rates are good.
It has to be some type of networking problem, but I'll need to have others offer ideas, as it isn't my strongest suit and "mine works", so I don't have anymore tricks up [or not] my sleeve.
Changing receivers seems to only gets by for a day or less.
Maybe resetting the network defaults might do something, but :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...