Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/Whole Home DVR playlist unavailable

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for your help. Resetting network defaults doesn't fix anything. I guess we will wait and hope some one with networking tips reads this thread.

Thanks a lot though. If they make anymore changes to my system, I will update.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

Another update:

Tech switched out our h24 in our bedroom for an hr24 and it worked perfectly yesterday, but this morning, the playlist was blank. We could set shows to record, but they would onlly show up on the living room rcvr. We could access and record VOD, but only were able to watch while still downloading in the queue. Once it was in the playlist, it was only accessible in the living room. We have reset the factory defaults, reset the receivers, and still nothing. We have removed the deca from the router and reset the receivers again and it is working! We have not hooked the deca back up yet.

We are assuming this is a network/router issue. I am able to log into my router to see its setting and make changes, but all of that is way over my head. I am hoping that someone reads this that has experience with networking.

Any suggestions?

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,962 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

I'd try a day or 2 with no router connection. Just HR24s on their own DECA.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

And then what? What if it keeps working? What would be the next step?

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

And then what? What if it keeps working? What would be the next step?

Like VOS said...your Hx24 setup and coax test numbers seem fine.

There could still be things in your router setup that come into play....including how your port forwarding is or isn't set up, if you have uPnP enabled, etc.

That diagnosis process likely deserves its own thread. YOu may also want to do a search using your router brand model (such as Linksys 123), and see if you can find a similar setup issue that might provide some answers.

In terms of determining a specific issue on your specific router...that will take more work and detailed data about your setup.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

One other thought...a good place to "start" is to verify that your router is operating with its latest firmware version - you can download that from the manufacturer site.

Some makers of routers update annually, some quarterly, and some sporatically. It's typically a good idea to check with some regularity, and be as up to date as possible. That sometimes helps in resolving connectivity issues that may be a result of the router firmware itself (or configuration settings).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#27 OFFLINE   sx2700

sx2700

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

I am having the same problem as the OP. My setup is 1 HR22 with ethernet cable from box to wireless router. 3 H24's with linksys wireless bridge. It had been working fine for over 2 weeks when it was activated and now it hasn't been working right since friday evening. I have reset all receivers many times and sometimes that will allow it to work for a few hours then the playlist will lock up. But it shows everything else as being networked. I am able to record from the H24's but it won't allow me to access the playlist from the main HR22.

#28 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

[...] We have removed the deca from the router and reset the receivers again and it is working! We have not hooked the deca back up yet.

We are assuming this is a network/router issue. I am able to log into my router to see its setting and make changes, but all of that is way over my head. I am hoping that someone reads this that has experience with networking.

Any suggestions?

It's easy to make that assumption, but it could just be a coincidence that the second reset of the receivers did the trick.

Since you're not connected to the router, your boxes can't see it's DHCP server, so you are now probably using "self-assigned" IP addresses on the HR2x's (16x.x.x.x). You can confirm this by going to setup, info and test, more info and scrolling down to find the box's IP address. If so, when you reconnect to the router, you're going to have to "connect again" in network setup (or reboot the boxes again) to put them back on your 192.168.2.x subnet, otherwise VOD won't work. After you do that, give the boxes a few minutes to "discover" each other on the network, since the IP addresses have changed.
/steve

#29 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

I am having the same problem as the OP. My setup is 1 HR22 with ethernet cable from box to wireless router.

Can you define this a bit better please? "Box" as in DECA?

There should be one DECA on the back of your HR22, and another DECA near your router with an ethernet cable hooking each one up.

EDIT: unless of course you are not using SWiM/DECA
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#30 OFFLINE   sx2700

sx2700

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

"box" meaning the receiver. The ethernet cable is direct from the receiver to the router. I don't have a DECA setup.

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

"box" meaning the receiver. The ethernet cable is direct from the receiver to the router. I don't have a DECA setup.

Since you don't have the DECA networking, this would seem to be a router/switch configuration problem.
It might be the same problem as the OP and be something like uPnP not being enabled in the router.
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   tomlisa555

tomlisa555

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

My router is a Zyxel P-660HW-D1 v.2 (which is my modem and router supplied by my DSL company, CenturyLink). uPnP is enabled. As for how my port forwarding is set up, I could really use some guidance on that, as I don't know what to look at or change, if necessary. There is a port forwarding tab under Network Address translation (NAT) and SUA only is checked, but everything is blank. There are no addresses on this page. I do not know what any of those things mean or do though.... Anyhow, the firmware that I have is dated 3/2009 and the only versions I have found online are older if not the same version.

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

My router is a Zyxel P-660HW-D1 v.2 (which is my modem and router supplied by my DSL company, CenturyLink). uPnP is enabled. As for how my port forwarding is set up, I could really use some guidance on that, as I don't know what to look at or change, if necessary. There is a port forwarding tab under Network Address translation (NAT) and SUA only is checked, but everything is blank. There are no addresses on this page. I do not know what any of those things mean or do though.... Anyhow, the firmware that I have is dated 3/2009 and the only versions I have found online are older if not the same version.

For this you shouldn't need any port forwarding. This is more for going outside your home network.

For anyone wanting to help with this, here's the user's guide:
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-660HW-D1/user_guide/P-660HW-D1_3.40_Ed1.pdf

I think I've asked this before, but don't know if you have... Have you reset the router at least once?
Normally this is done by removing the power cord for a few mins.

Another thing to look at is if that firmware date is correct. By this I mean what is the actual version of the firmware [not the date].
Online is:
Model : P-660HW-D1 v2
Version : 3.40(ATA.0)C0
Language : English
Release Date : 04-26-2007
Size : 1 MB
Is yours really newer than this?

Edited by veryoldschool, 20 June 2010 - 06:48 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

For this you shouldn't need any port forwarding. This is more for going outside your home network [...]

Correct. Same for UPnP. Those are services intended to expose LAN ports to the public internet that are normally protected by the router's firewall.

Like I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if the second reboot already solved the problem, and the OP's router just needs to be hooked-up again now. He may have to do a "network", "connect again" afterwards, tho, if he's now using self assigned IP's (16x.x.x.x) as a result of having rebooted without a DHCP server.
/steve

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

Correct. Same for UPnP. Those are services intended to expose LAN ports to the public internet that are normally protected by the router's firewall.

Like I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if the second reboot already solved the problem, and the OP's router just needs to be hooked-up again now. He may have to do a "network", "connect again" afterwards, tho, if he's now using self assigned IP's (16x.x.x.x) as a result of having rebooted without a DHCP server.

I'm sure "she" will look into this. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'm sure "she" will look into this. ;)

D'oh! :lol: My apologies. Thought it was Tom.
/steve

#37 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

@tomlisa555:

One thing that you can try to is to set the lease time for your IP addresses to be indefinite (or at least as long as the router will allow). The default lease time for an IP address being assigned via DHCP is usually 24 hours. What might be happening in your case is that the lease is expiring and for some reason not renewing. When it doesn't renew, the receiver will usually revert to Limited Network Connectivity (basically it gets one of the APIPA addresses - 169.254.xxx.xxx). This will make it so that it is not seen by other receivers and it cannot see the other receivers. By making it indefinite, you won't have to worry about that.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

"For the record", this turned out to be a defective DECA used to bridge to the router.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...