Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Logical to buy an SD DVR?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scottbu123

scottbu123

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

I am planning on adding a DVR to an SDTV soon. Seeing as the SD DVR's haven't been updated in a while, would it still be logical to purchase one of those or buy an HD DVR instead?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

Are you going to utilize MRV on that TV? If so, it's a no-brainer for the HD DVR. (Unless you get an R22, which is unlikely.)

#3 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

IMHO it isn't logical to invest in anything SD today. :nono2:
That ship has sailed.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#4 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

If you get a HD DVR remembere that you'll also have to pay the $10/month HD access charge in addition to that $7/month DVR fee.

But I'd also vote for the HD DVR since it has DirecTV on Demand, Media Share and TVApps. Plus even if you don't have a HDTV the picture when tuned to a HD channel will look a lot better then the SD version of it, even on a SDTV.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

The HD DVR as there is apparently no longer an HD access fee, it now would cost no more except for the upfront difference in initial cost.

#6 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

The HD DVR as there is apparently no longer an HD access fee, it now would cost no more except for the upfront difference in initial cost.

That's true if the OP fits the requirements as an existing customer to get 24 months of free HD. There are some that won't sign up for that due to the autopay requirement, so I gave the worst case costs.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

If you already have HD on your account, then getting an HD DVR is the obvious choice. If you do not already have HD and do not plan to upgrade to HD in the predictable future, then an SD DVR should serve your needs well.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

The viewing differences between the HD DVR and the SD DVR when connected to an SD TV are so small with the current software that you can purchase an SD DVR and have almost all of the HD DVR features (except HD of course!) In addition, the SD DVR's have some cool features the HD DVR's don't. For example, they can RECORD the Sonic Tap music channels. They can also be set up to respond to both an RF and IR remote at the same time. And, of course, they have a channel 3/4 RF output which is perfect for feeding another TV in a different room from the same DVR. (and it doesn't cost $3 a month like multi-room viewing does)

There are also other benefits. Like earlier this week when all the HD DVR's were locked up and people were banging their heads against the wall complaining about missed recordings, the SD DVR's didn't miss a beat (or recording) ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

The viewing differences between the HD DVR and the SD DVR when connected to an SD TV are so small with the current software that you can purchase an SD DVR and have almost all of the HD DVR features (except HD of course!)

Not exactly true. When viewing SD channels via the HD-DVR on a SD TV, the viewing differences will be small. But, when viewing an HD channel on the SD TV it does look a lot better.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

I am planning on adding a DVR to an SDTV soon. Seeing as the SD DVR's haven't been updated in a while, would it still be logical to purchase one of those or buy an HD DVR instead?

To fully answer your question we need to know a bit more about your setup:

1) Do you currently have any HD receivers and have HD access already turned on?
2) Do you plan on using MRV now or any point in the future?

As the previous posters pointed out, if the answer to 1 and/or 2 is Yes, the most logical thing to do is get an HD DVR. If the answer to both is No, well, it gets a little more gray.

:D

#11 OFFLINE   scottbu123

scottbu123

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Alright, thanks guys. I do not plan on using MRV or HD in the near future.

#12 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

scott - if you are in an MPEG4 locals market, you have NO choice but to use HD only boxes, as R16/16 will NOT work on locals...

#13 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

I still have two SD DirecTivo receivers that are about 6 years old. One of them just died yesterday (overheating issue, even when cold). Funny thing is, I had just placed an order for MRV a few hours earlier. I think the price differential between SD and HD is basically negligible in the long term, so you should go with HD receivers.

Now, I just hope the HD DVRs I'm getting play nice with my old SD sets. I'm going to need to use RF modulators, as these sets are so old and cheap that they don't even have composite (RCA) inputs.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#14 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

I think the price differential between SD and HD is basically negligible in the long term, so you should go with HD receivers.

Maybe. Maybe not. It's the "stick it to you" upgrade charge and the restriction that you have lost your option to change providers for two years (new 2 year commitment) that keeps me a DirecTV SD-only subscriber. If they truly wanted subscribers to enjoy HD they would allow folks that have R22's to add HD without adding another HD receiver. But they want that 2 year commitment and ridiculous upgrade fee.

I'll bet I'll be sitting here in the future laughing at all the folks who didn't wait for the new HD DirecTiVo and are stuck with a commitment, no deals, and a reconditioned HR-21. :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

what's the bet?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#16 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'll bet I'll be sitting here in the future laughing at all the folks who didn't wait for the new HD DirecTiVo and are stuck with a commitment, no deals, and a reconditioned HR-21. :D

And I bet that the folks that waited for the new Tivo will shoot themselves because they didn't get a HR24 and be able to use all the functionality that the HR24 has.

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

Heck, some of them will they'll shoot themselves for not going HD 3-4 years ago

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...