Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Common Sense Ratings

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hi - before the SNAFU today the HR20 "new software" page said that 3-D and "Common Sense Ratings" were enabled.

Where can we see the "Common Sense Ratings"? I can't find any anywhere.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,954 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hi - before the SNAFU today the HR20 "new software" page said that 3-D and "Common Sense Ratings" were enabled.

Where can we see the "Common Sense Ratings"? I can't find any anywhere.

Give it a day or two for the data to populate, and it will just pop up. :)

~Alan

#3 OFFLINE   theedger

theedger

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

The Common Sense Ratings are a joke. I've read the description of some of the shows and if I didn't know the name of the show it was describing I'd have no clue what the show is. It makes "The Office" and "30 Rock" sound like adult shows.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

You're entitled to your opinion. Personally I think they are entertaining to read. When they've populated, you can find them by selecting "More Info" on the info banner.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

The Common Sense Ratings are a joke. I've read the description of some of the shows and if I didn't know the name of the show it was describing I'd have no clue what the show is. It makes "The Office" and "30 Rock" sound like adult shows.

I wasn't huge fan of the idea, but really like it now. With an 9 year old who wants to watch all kinds of stuff I've never heard of, it has been nice to have.

#6 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

I think they're written by Ned Flanders... all those nights of watching taped TV shows for naughty content has paid off!
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#7 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

Any way to turn these off? I dont care what some ultraconservatives think of the shows I watch.

#8 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

IMO, they don't appear to be written by either left-leaning or right-leaning groups. They appear to be fairly unbiased, objective descriptions of the content of the program.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

The source information is here:
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

I think the information is quite useful for parents to make an informed decision.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:21 AM

I don't like them either. Seems like something Pat Robertson and the 700 Club hashed together. Yes they do seem very right wing and churchy. And no, I don't have a problem with church, just those pushing theirs onto me.

#11 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:33 AM

I don't like them either. Seems like something Pat Robertson and the 700 Club hashed together. Yes they do seem very right wing and churchy. And no, I don't have a problem with church, just those pushing theirs onto me.

I don't think they are geared toward guiding adults on what to watch for themselves, but geared toward helping adults determine what is appropriate for their children.

When I read the descriptions, they seemed to be straightforward descriptions of the content. They didn't seem judgemental or preachy. They did give what seemed to be good suggestions for starting conversations with kids about the shows.
DogLover

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:43 AM

Some of the details seem silly at times, but they are there to help people make decisions.

Likely most of the people who use these ratings lean toward being rather protective, and that's OK. Less-protective parents probably just look at the letter rating.

For instance, I don't know what the commonsense people said about Iron Man and Iron Man II, but both were rated PG-13 and were totally different as far as adult content was concerned. I would be glad to have that info when deciding whether my seven-year-old grandson could see them (I though II was fine for him, the first movie, not really.)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,783 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

The ratings are a guide and provide info on program content so suscribers can decide if it meets their personal standards. What amazes me is that there are some who will view a program and then complain to a provider over it's content.

#14 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:50 AM

After a little digging found out this NPO is owned by WeissComm Group a large PR firm. As I said before, groups like this spin information to fit their own or clients needs and not necessarily "honest and true" details.

So the "message" that Star-Trek Generations is racially, gender and species intergrated... of use to parents or people who don't like that kind of thing? Just pure junk!

#15 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:54 AM

Any way to turn these off? I dont care what some ultraconservatives think of the shows I watch.

Seriously? Just don't navigate to that tab. Way to over react.

#16 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

<scratches head> I dont even know what this is.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#17 OFFLINE   Darkscream

Darkscream

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

I think these descriptions they give - have just the opposite effect.
Now I - er um ...kids can search the descriptions and make sure they don't waste time on movies without sex and violence.

Lets you hone right in on the "good stuff".

#18 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,180 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

I find the ratings are often amusing and sometimes funny. Even though they were obviously written from an ultra-conservative viewpoint they don't bother me at all.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#19 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

I swear. The last two days on this board have convinced me at least 50% of the posting members up here are brain damaged.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

Hard to say an organization is ultra conservative when they rate Modern Family as green (best rating) for Message.

Look at descriptions of shows before you decide if someone has an agenda. While I find some of their data outdated (in terms of them still having Pete Ross as a character on Smallville, but I guess they use the same data for reruns as well as first run) and the wording hilarious, I have found their ratings and information fair and they seem to find something good and useful in just about every show.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...