Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Common Sense Ratings

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

I swear. The last two days on this board have convinced me at least 50% of the posting members up here are brain damaged.

Judging by your quote you feel people shouldn't be free to express their opinions, yet you just aired your own. That's what makes this country great.

But back to the topic at hand... there was apparently a group of people who thought Common Sense Ratings would be a good idea. Some don't. Personally, I do wish there was a way to turn it off, since I don't need to know that everything I watch is "iffy" or "not for kids". I'm a 28 year old single male in the Navy (we have a reputation to uphold, you know), (we won't go into the 'single' dilemma right now...) but it would stand to reason that I don't need to know if my watching habits are safe for children.

...Though I would like to see Common Sense Media descriptions on the 'adult' channels, just to see that they think :lol:
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

Judging by your quote you feel people shouldn't be free to express their opinions, yet you just aired your own. That's what makes this country great.

But back to the topic at hand... there was apparently a group of people who thought Common Sense Ratings would be a good idea. Some don't. Personally, I do wish there was a way to turn it off, since I don't need to know that everything I watch is "iffy" or "not for kids". I'm a 28 year old single male, (we won't go into the 'single' dilemma right now...) but it would stand to reason that I don't need to know if my watching habits are safe for children.

...Though I would like to see Common Sense Media descriptions on the 'adult' channels, just to see that they think :lol:

I still don't unerstand the desire to have it turned off. It is turned off by default. You have to go to the tab to access it. Just don't do that. You have to be proactive to see that information.

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

I still don't unerstand the desire to have it turned off. It is turned off by default. You have to go to the tab to access it. Just don't do that. You have to be proactive to see that information.

But, oh my, it takes up some space on the screen (that is normally not used anyway).

What is next, complaining about the TV-PG rating on the top banner?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Actually, it's not turned off, I was not referring to the full writeups, but their warning in the info banner, which is prevalent wether you want to see it or not:

Personally, I do wish there was a way to turn it off, since I don't need to know that everything I watch is "iffy" or "not for kids".

Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

tonyd79, a little snarky but well put. I think this feature will help some people decide what to watch with their kids, and for the rest, it's not terribly obtrusive.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

What is next, complaining about the TV-PG rating on the top banner?

How many warnings or different ratings do you need before you start complaining? The way this trends, you'll have a rating by the TV Censors, the conservatives, the liberals, the stoners, the parents, the kids, the teachers... Everyone's opinion on TV programming beamed right in front of you every time you press 'play'.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#27 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

Actually, it's not turned off, I was not referring to the full writeups, but their warning in the info banner, which is prevalent wether you want to see it or not:

Just think that one day one of your Navy buddies is going to be up a creek, and you'll be the only one available to watch their kid for a few hours. Now you'll know what's appropriate for them to watch. (And you'll have an "out" when they ask "why did you let them watch that?") :lol:
DogLover

My Setup

#28 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Absolutely not the case, but thanks for assuming the worst. I can in reverse say you don't think the ratings people should be able to express their opinions. As others have pointed out, there is nothing forcing you to go look at the details, or even avail yourself of the service. I admire and strongly support your service to our country, but someday you will grow up, perhaps have a family of your own, and maybe see the other side of things with these ratings. You have yet to experience a kids pained look and embarrassed exit from a family room when some TV show early in the evening gets overly raunchy. It's nice to know when to expect something like that, and these shows are getting increasingly child unfriendly at an alarming pace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#29 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

Absolutely not the case, but thanks for assuming the worst. I can in reverse say you don't think the ratings people should be able to express their opinions. As others have pointed out, there is nothing forcing you to go look at the details, or even avail yourself of the service. I admire and strongly support your service to our country, but someday you will grow up, perhaps have a family of your own, and maybe see the other side of things with these ratings. You have yet to experience a kids pained look and embarrassed exit from a family room when some TV show early in the evening gets overly raunchy. It's nice to know when to expect something like that, and these shows are getting increasingly child unfriendly at an alarming pace.

Well said. While I have always been against someone telling what is and isn't appropriate, having children changes all of that. I can also appreciate someone wanting to be able to turn it off, but it is hardly the end of the world if you can't. It barely noticeable without actually going to the tab itself.

#30 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Just curious if this group is trying to protect young viewers or trying to spin viewers toward certain programming by using "buzz-words" and prejudices .

#31 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Just curious if this group is trying to protect young viewers or trying to spin viewers toward certain programming by using "buzz-words" and prejudices .

That was one of my first thoughts, but after reading a bunch of the ratings, I don't think there are any ulterior motives.

#32 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

I have to agree with hilmar2k. i did not see any of that in those that I have read. But, you really should read them and judge for yourself. Pick shows that you are familiar with and see what you think of the descriptions.
DogLover

My Setup

#33 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

Or don't read them at all. Jeez, it's not like they are making any decisions for you, they are just offering up their assessment for your use (or non-use).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#34 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

That was one of my first thoughts, but after reading a bunch of the ratings, I don't think there are any ulterior motives.

I agree. Before jumping to conclusions, I actually READ the writeups. I saw a list of facts (and ones that seemed rather accurate for shows I know about) and in every show, a way to use the situation as a learning experience.

For example, 30 Rock. While it is not what the show is about, they suggest that you can talk to your kids and discuss how programs get on the air, how they are greenlit, what makes them worthy of air time.

Wow. What a concept, using a subject matter to actually engage with your kid and ask them what they think.

They are also one of the few rankings that I have seen that clearly delineates sex from violence, etc. You can focus on the items you think are important in your decisions making.

As for it giving you the ratings on the main INFO screen that some are complaing about (which tells me that they are either overly picky or have perfect lives is this is what they complain abuot). Big deal. They are using space that was dead to begin with. There was nothing there before.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#35 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

(PS - all I was looking for was info on where the ratings were located)

#36 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

(PS - all I was looking for was info on where the ratings were located)

C'mon, you've been around long enough to know how simple threads can go off on a crazy tangent. :lol:

#37 OFFLINE   Directvlover

Directvlover

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Seriously? Just don't navigate to that tab. Way to over react.

+1

I personally find them nice. With elementary age kids in my house I can quick pop it up, get the cliff notes of anything possibly questionable about it....even a listing of swear words used in them if any. Needless to say if anything like that is in the show, they ain't watching it anyway. Anyone who has a real problem with this either doesn't have small kids....or are the people whose kids say bad words at school and have my kids coming home and asking me what the words mean. Sigh.

#38 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

The new parental feature is so informative that it gives you everything except the ending. I looked up the rating of a NCIS rerun and had to scroll down three times to read it all! Personally I found it comical. But parents and selective viewers should find it useful.

#39 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Oh my...who cares? No one is forcing you to read them. Just ignore the ratings if you don't like them. I know they are there, but I never even notice them.
DTV = Digital Television

#40 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

So where in the heck are they (excuse my language)? I can't find them. Anybody got a screen-shot?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...