Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I need the really DUMB explanation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

Sorry guys, there is so much info here I am getting lost.

What I want is the ability to have access to all DTV recorded shows in 4 rooms.

I currently have all 4 of my HR20's in one room with double wire satellite lines coming in to each. They are networked and I have run DTV2PC for testing.

So what does the Connected Home do for me ?

Would I move a receiver to each room ? then be able to access all other rooms shows ?

How do I connect these receivers. I do not have satellite runs or really the option of them into any of these rooms. I do currently use the original cable TV in house cable lines to route the TV signals to the extra rooms but it's a tangled mess of splitters etc.

Any advice for the complete begiinner would be great. I have read the FAQs but even they seem to assume so knowledge I simply don't seem to have :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:32 AM

If you go with connected home, what will happen is this:

A new Dish (Single Wire) or Multiswitch will be installed to enable Single Wire.
You can then move your HR20s to each room using hopefully the original cabling. This would be dependent on how bad the mess of splitters are, the quality of cable, etc. If the cable was good, the splitters would be replaced with new DirecTV splitters where needed.
DECA would then be used to connect the receivers to each other (using the same in house cable wiring) - eliminating the current network connections.
At this point, you would have access to all 4 DVRs playlists from any location which is probably what you were hoping for.

So in summary, the $149 install would cover new Dish/multiswitch to get you to single wire, DECAs for the HR20/broadband, splitters where applicable, and validation of the wiring. Hopefully all would be good.

If the wiring was poor, RG59, or otherwise unusable - that would be a problem that you would have to work out with the installer.

#3 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

It might also be worth while to pick up a cheap coax tester from eBay and trace all your coax runs. You might be able to eliminate some splitter.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hopefully the tech that comes could assess the quality of the lines throughout your house, but if they're as bad as you seem to let on, they might need replacing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Actually, looking at my cable runs they are not that bad. I run RF out of my receivers back to the cable hub on one line then split it to all the rooms, so in this scenarios the splitter is not required.

So in summary for the slow. I could end up with one receiver in each room, with it's own remote that can access show on ALL receivers + that receiver can provide HD to the local TV from all receivers.

Anything I am missing :)

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

No that's about it :)

#7 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

No issue that my cable junction is on the other side of the house from my main receivers ? Though it is near to the Satellite dish.

#8 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

No issue that my cable junction is on the other side of the house from my main receivers ? Though it is near to the Satellite dish.

No issue, and if you have a cable junction near the dish that is actually ideal. The next question will be how easy it is to get a network feed to the broadband connector - but since you have network and wiring in the one room now - I think that will be easy too.

It sounds like it will give you what you want, be easy to do, and a better solution than what you have now. But it really depends on the wiring quality. If its RG6, the ends can be replaced and splitters replaced as part of the installation - and it should be golden.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hopefully the last couple of questions.

1) Does each HR show the list of ALL programs from all HR's or does it filter by receiver ?

2) The $149 installation fee I assume does not include any replacement receivers you need. I have an R15 and old DTIVO in the mix somewhere.

#10 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

1) Does each HR show the list of ALL programs from all HR's or does it filter by receiver ?

2) The $149 installation fee I assume does not include any replacement receivers you need. I have an R15 and old DTIVO in the mix somewhere.

1) It can show ALL programs from ALL HRs, or its local programs only. You cannot select a specific remote DVR.

2) Correct. You can work the receiver upgrade as part of or separately - whichever offers you the best deal.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,765 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

2) Correct. You can work the receiver upgrade as part of or separately - whichever offers you the best deal.

Both of these would be swapped for SD DVRs [R-16s] as part of the upgrade. "Extra" would be to have these changed for HD receivers to work with MRV.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

I wouldn't want to swap them for R16's, they are well "tuned" :)

#13 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Actually how would the R16 fit into the picture ? Can that record it's own shows, make them available to everyone else, view HD shows (in SD I assume). Can it run from a single coax line ?

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

The R16 would not be able to share programs and nothing could share with it.

#15 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

So why do they switch them ?

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,765 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

So why do they switch them ?

Because they work with SWiM, and SWiM is needed for the DECA to work.
You'll need to work out an upgrade if you want these to also share/playback recordings to the other DECA receivers. This would be a separate upgrade beyond the DECA/connected home/ Whole home DVR service.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

Only HD/MPEG4 receivers are capable of "Whole Home" connections, so no standard-def equipment will work (except the R22, which is really an HR21 with a software mod, but R22s are discontinued and rarely available).

So, while the SWM/DECA upgrade will replace your old SD receivers for like SD receivers that are SWM-compatible, they will NOT upgrade your SD receivers to HD receivers. If you want HD upgrades, you have to pay for them and they will be leased, just like any other HD upgrade.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...