Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Unwanted Channel Change

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ruffread

Ruffread

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Here is an interesting problem. I usually set my receiver to the channel I first turn on in the AM(ABC Ch 10). If I turn the program on late, I can back up to the beginning, and then skip commercials. I love that feature.

Last night, I had receiver record a program( Linktv) on another channel, and when I turned receiver on this morning it was not on the usually set channel. It is was on the LinkTv channel. I could not back up to the beginning on CH 10.

The receiver should always return to the set channel, and not the most recently recorded channel.

Anyone else notice this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

Sometimes there are cases when the receiver will use the foreground tuner for recording, especially in the middle of the night if it is in standby. This has been a complaint for some time, and generally the workaround is to schedule a series link for the channel you want, time you want, with keep-at-most set to (1).
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

Here is an interesting problem. I usually set my receiver to the channel I first turn on in the AM(ABC Ch 10). If I turn the program on late, I can back up to the beginning, and then skip commercials. I love that feature.

Last night, I had receiver record a program( Linktv) on another channel, and when I turned receiver on this morning it was not on the usually set channel. It is was on the LinkTv channel. I could not back up to the beginning on CH 10.

The receiver should always return to the set channel, and not the most recently recorded channel.

Anyone else notice this?

Nope, sorry, the receiver only knows what tuner was in use last...be it recording or watching live TV...since the tuner was last used for a recording, it was "set" to that channel. The HRx-series DVR doesn't use the background tuner for recording...it switches the primary tuner. The background tuner is only used when two channels are being sought; two recordings, or one recording and one live TV stream.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

Nope, sorry, the receiver only knows what tuner was in use last...be it recording or watching live TV...since the tuner was last used for a recording, it was "set" to that channel. The HRx-series DVR doesn't use the background tuner for recording...it switches the primary tuner. The background tuner is only used when two channels are being sought; two recordings, or one recording and one live TV stream.

Well that's just not true. If you are watching live TV, and a program starts to record, it will always use the backgournd tuner.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Yes, because you're not in standby and in this example you're not recording two things.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Yes, because you're not in standby and in this example you're not recording two things.

Who are you talking to?

#7 OFFLINE   ricochet

ricochet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

This is the situation where autotune would be a nice feature. I have my doubts that DirecTV will ever add it but you never know. In my case it is Mike and Mike on ESPN and I do what Stuart said - setup a single recording. It works OK for me because I normally have enough free space for the 8 hours (4 hours for the current show and 4 for the previous one because it isn't deleted until the new one is done recording).

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:08 AM

I guess one could leave the DVR on (not put it in standby) and the DVR would be forced to use the second tuner to record.

Of course, this wouldn't work if two recordings were going on at the same time.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...