Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Viewing a show on multiple TVs simultaneously

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

I have an HR24 in living room, H24 in bedroom, and R16 in kitchen. Sometimes when I'm working around the house, I might leave the same program playing on all three boxes, so it's always "there" if I want to stop work and watch for a bit.

I've also got three HDTVs, large on in the living room, medium in bedroom, and small in kitchen.

The picture on my small Toshiba in the kitchen isn't bad, but of course it's shown in SD, not HD. DirecTV tells me I can get an upgrade for the R16 within the next year (or get one for full price now). Once that happens, I can do what I'm asking about, but for now, the show is being displayed in SD.

Here's my question. The HR24 in the living room has the HDMI cable going to the large TV. Can I take the "component video" output and run a cable to the kitchen, so the same show will be seen simultaneously on that set? Or, does the HR send the video out to EITHER the HDMI or to the component out, but not both simultaneously?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

Can I take the "component video" output and run a cable to the kitchen, so the same show will be seen simultaneously on that set? Or, does the HR send the video out to EITHER the HDMI or to the component out, but not both simultaneously?

You CAN do this. All outputs are active.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Thanks, Mike! In that case, I was told that if I didn't want to run a 20 foot long cable (3 for component, plus 2 for audio) that I can buy adapters that go from "component" to Cat5, and back again to component. That makes the cable much less of a mess. If this is correct, does anyone know what these adapters might be, and where to get one?

#4 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thanks, Mike! In that case, I was told that if I didn't want to run a 20 foot long cable (3 for component, plus 2 for audio) that I can buy adapters that go from "component" to Cat5, and back again to component. That makes the cable much less of a mess. If this is correct, does anyone know what these adapters might be, and where to get one?

It would be easier/cheaper to use the component cable on the large living room tv, and run a single hdmi cable to the kitchen tv. You can find good/cheap hdmi cables at monoprice.com (20' hdmi cable for $20). The only catch is you would not be able to watch 1080p ppv movies on the HR24 over the component cable. If you do watch 1080p ppv, you could just keep an extra hdmi cable near the big tv and swap cables before/after the movie.

:)

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

I've heard of them... I'd try the usual suspects like monoprice.com.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

It would be easier/cheaper to use the component cable on the large living room tv, and run a single hdmi cable to the kitchen tv. You can find good/cheap hdmi cables at monoprice.com (20' hdmi cable for $20).

That's a much better idea than what I was thinking - thanks!!

#7 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

I looked at monoprice and found this:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

which can take the HDMI and turn it into CAT5 and then back. So you could then run component to the large tv and use the HDMI for the kitchen.

Or you could use this:

http://www.hdtvsuppl...cat5-balun.html

and stick with your original idea but it seems a but pricier than the monoprice dongle for HDMI.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#8 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

We have had a lot of luck with Gefen over the years. Their stuff is pricey, but the quality is there and their support is fantastic.

http://www.gefen.com...tType=component

We have a 4x4 HDMI switch that is a few years old - I inquired about 1080P support on the switch and was told it would not do it as it was purchased, but they had a firmware upgrade for it. They sent a chip, I installed it and bam, 1080P. This was done two years AFTER purchase and at no cost. I thought that was pretty cool.

#9 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

How about sending the HDMI output to both TVs?

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

Protected By... spam firewall...And...