Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15 500 Reboots!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

June 8, 9:07EST and June 9, 8:10EST my R15 500 rebooted. I have been experiencing random re-boots for sometime...just curious if anyone else experienced re-boots around these times...and if it could be associated with the HR lock-up issues experienced yesterday and today...maybe my R15 is ready for retirement....thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

No, the lockup/reboot issue earlier this week only applied to the HD DVR's and the guide data being sent specifically to them. My two R15-300's didn't miss a beat (or reboot) throughout the fiasco.

If your R15 is rebooting its hard drive could be near the end of its life. The first thing I would try is reformatting the HDD (but you will lose everything including favorite lists, prioritizer entries, and your recordings). If you decide to try this, reply and I'll post instructions or you could search this system where they are already posted.

Otherwise, your only alternative is to call DirecTV and arrange for a replacement unit. This will cost you $20 S & H if your R15 is leased and you don't have the protection plan.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#3 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:10 AM

My R15-300 Has done this, but it seems only to happen if I am having weak signal problems. If I am trying to record during these periods, it may also just freeze. I suspect the people who wrote the software never thought this might happen and never tried to program around it.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

My R15-300 Has done this, but it seems only to happen if I am having weak signal problems. If I am trying to record during these periods, it may also just freeze. I suspect the people who wrote the software never thought this might happen and never tried to program around it.

I've never been very impressed with the NDS programmers. The DirecTV programmers seem to be much more responsive to issues as they have come up.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

I've never been very impressed with the NDS programmers. The DirecTV programmers seem to be much more responsive to issues as they have come up.

- Merg

As demonstrated earlier this week... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#6 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

YES. My R15 in the other room has rebooted several times today also.There were no signal problems at all.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#7 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Mine rebooted last night for a software update. I got the info screen this morn about the new cinema feature. Ohhhhhh.

But now (10:50am), it just spontaneously rebooted while I was watching a show. No warning at all.

Reminds me of the HR2x issue last week with all the reboots.

-EDIT-

Well, I see it rolled me back to the last NR release from last year 0x1274. I guess the update had "issues" last night.

Edited by goober22, 14 June 2010 - 10:17 AM.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, DECA Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Slimeline-5, SWM16, WHDVR, OTA=21, WOW (Knology) Cable = 50Mbps Internet & Phone,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

#8 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

No, the lockup/reboot issue earlier this week only applied to the HD DVR's and the guide data being sent specifically to them. My two R15-300's didn't miss a beat (or reboot) throughout the fiasco.

If your R15 is rebooting its hard drive could be near the end of its life. The first thing I would try is reformatting the HDD (but you will lose everything including favorite lists, prioritizer entries, and your recordings). If you decide to try this, reply and I'll post instructions or you could search this system where they are already posted.

Otherwise, your only alternative is to call DirecTV and arrange for a replacement unit. This will cost you $20 S & H if your R15 is leased and you don't have the protection plan.

Thanks, I own the unit and am considering replacing the drive (great info on replacing the drives in these forums) if this continues...but since I posted, all has been ok...

#9 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

Mine rebooted last night for a software update. I got the info screen this morn about the new cinema feature. Ohhhhhh.

But now (10:50am), it just spontaneously rebooted while I was watching a show. No warning at all.

Reminds me of the HR2x issue last week with all the reboots.

-EDIT-

Well, I see it rolled me back to the last NR release from last year 0x1274. I guess the update had "issues" last night.

Isn't 0x1274 the latest software version for th R15 500? Promising if there is a new update out there, I just assumed the R15 would start losing support due to age...

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

Isn't 0x1274 the latest software version for th R15 500? Promising if there is a new update out there, I just assumed the R15 would start losing support due to age...

There are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of R15's in service (I have 2!) Also, while many of the posters on this messaging system are HD fanatics, there are still hundreds of SD DirecTV receivers being installed every day. Remember, even if you are a NEW customer, you get 1 free HD DVR and 1 free standard HD receiver but a lot of people don't have HDTV sets or have only one. DirecTV won't install an HD receiver/DVR on a SD TV set!!

Have you ever checked out the Cutting Edge program on this system? You might get a surprise or two if you register and sign up for the program. It is not just for HD receivers or the fanciest new features DirecTV offers. And best of all, it's FREE!

#11 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

[quote name='ThomasM'] DirecTV won't install an HD receiver/DVR on a SD TV set!!

Depends on the installer.

#12 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

There are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of R15's in service (I have 2!) Also, while many of the posters on this messaging system are HD fanatics, there are still hundreds of SD DirecTV receivers being installed every day. Remember, even if you are a NEW customer, you get 1 free HD DVR and 1 free standard HD receiver but a lot of people don't have HDTV sets or have only one. DirecTV won't install an HD receiver/DVR on a SD TV set!!

Have you ever checked out the Cutting Edge program on this system? You might get a surprise or two if you register and sign up for the program. It is not just for HD receivers or the fanciest new features DirecTV offers. And best of all, it's FREE!

I am quite aware of the CE forum for HD and SD IRD's...I guess my point was, I have not seen a new update for over 6 months +....0x1274 is the latest for my R15 500...I see no new version in the CE forum coming up...it appears support / new features slowing for the aging IRD...that's all...

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

I am quite aware of the CE forum for HD and SD IRD's...I guess my point was, I have not seen a new update for over 6 months +....0x1274 is the latest for my R15 500...I see no new version in the CE forum coming up...it appears support / new features slowing for the aging IRD...that's all...

Really? You read the CE forums? Or you just "know" about them?

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

Well, there have been, including one a week ago...

As for new features, I don't think there are going to be too many in the R15\R16 series. That is because those series are developed by NDS and not DirecTV themselves, as such, any additions cannot just be added in. Change orders need to be developed and all that costs money and takes time. With the HR2x series, DirecTV does the software development for those in house so if a new feature is desired the turnaround/cost is a lot less.

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Really? You read the CE forums? Or you just "know" about them?

Does this answer your question? I stumbled on this while "reading" the CE forums...it's good to be in the "know"

Software Download Windows:
Friday, June 25, 2010 11PM - 2:30AM ET
Saturday, June 26, 2010 11PM - 2:30AM ET

DIRECTV Plus DVR (R15/R16)
R15/R16 - Not Expected

#16 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:37 AM

Well, there have been, including one a week ago...

As for new features, I don't think there are going to be too many in the R15\R16 series. That is because those series are developed by NDS and not DirecTV themselves, as such, any additions cannot just be added in. Change orders need to be developed and all that costs money and takes time. With the HR2x series, DirecTV does the software development for those in house so if a new feature is desired the turnaround/cost is a lot less.

- Merg

Thanks Merg, the NDS vs. in house makes sense and explains the features...I don't know, I tried to force updates but 0x1274 is the latest?

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Merg, the NDS vs. in house makes sense and explains the features...I don't know, I tried to force updates but 0x1274 is the latest?

You have the most recent national release for the R15. If you are interested in the CE Program, please take a look at the CE Overview and CE Rules. There is a thread that you can subscribe to that will detail when CE updates are provided and how to obtain them.

Be advised, that you SHOULD NOT just use the CE process in order to obtain new features.

- Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...