Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Those with issues with their receivers after yesterday's glitch...

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Has your DVR recovered? (257 member(s) have cast votes)

Has your DVR recovered?

1. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (194 votes [75.49%])

Percentage of vote: 75.49%

2. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (14 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

3. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (38 votes [14.79%])

Percentage of vote: 14.79%

4. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (11 votes [4.28%])

Percentage of vote: 4.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

I'm trying to see if there's a pattern here, and if anyone has been able to recover theirs with issues similar to mine. I have two HR21s, one of which recovered fine (HR21-100), one of which still hasn't(HR21-200). The one that hasn't has an external drive attached to it. On the surface, it seemed in the "big thread" it seemed like most with problems recovering had external drives. But that's hard to determine without a poll. I didn't get home until late last night, so I wasn't able to get to them first. My understanding is the "bad" unit had the spinning circle of lights, and when the TV was turned on it was scanning the disk. This morning, it appeared to be working, but didn't really test it as I didn't have time. When I got home this evening, it's back to the spinning circle of lights. It appears to be going through an endless cycle of "step 1 of 2" during boot taking forever (15+ mins), then jumping straight to the disk scan screen, completing that saying no errors found and no errors corrected, sitting on that screen for 5+ mins, then jumping to a screen saying there's a problem with the storage device, to try rebooting, and call DirecTV with code 15-020. Choosing the reboot option results in the whole cycle starting over again. I've tried unplugging both the DVR and external drive. I've tried detaching the external drive, but still get the same error (which is expected, as the external drive was just added 10 days ago because the internal drive apparently died). The external drive is brand new, and worked perfectly for the 10 days until the glitch.

So, are there any commonalities? Any solutions? I've very close to just giving up on this receiver, but I can't help but think that the glitch or the pushed reboot just caused some kind of error on the drive, or even the firmware, that needs to be cleared off. I really wish I could do a real reformat. I've tried to go into the advanced diagnostics, but it just sits on the screen that says "entering diagnostics mode". I expect it will eventually time out, and end up in the same loop as above. I'll update if it ever changes.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Some have indicated that these scans can take up to 30 hours or more. I'd recommend patience for right now.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   Marlbs

Marlbs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

I am having a simular issue with my HR23.

I have tried to reboot it, pull the plug, etc... at some point this afternoon it much have recovered to the point where I was getting live TV again, but all it does is studder, no matter if the signal is coming off the satellite or if it is coming off of the OTA via the AM21.

Now after I pulled the pulg on it and let it come back up it just sits there at the step 1 of 2 with the lights just spinning and it has been doing that for over 1 hour.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

#4 OFFLINE   blusgtone

blusgtone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I tried all the same things, still no luck. I have a lot of season finales on my 1tb and really want to get it back.

#5 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

I have both types (2 w/internal upgraded and 2 w/external eSata) with no problems.

#6 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

I have 2 HR20-700 DVRs both with external drives, no issues other than needing to reboot twice yesterday. 2 of my 3 HR24-500 DVRs also have external drives and had no issues at all.

#7 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

I have both types (2 w/internal upgraded and 2 w/external eSata) with no problems.

Ugh, I should have structured the poll differently to account for multiple DVRs. :nono2: Oh well, as long as people post, we can figure that out.

#8 OFFLINE   bridge

bridge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

HR22 restarted up just fine. R-22 with b-line converts never recovered. I called DTV and they had me re-try everything I already tried. I've been elevated to tier two "engineering" services. Evidently, according to the CSR, they will design a "special" patch, just for little ol' me:D So...I guess I just let it sit there...while I watch that maniacal spinning blue light...and wait...:confused:

#9 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

I've tried to go into the advanced diagnostics, but it just sits on the screen that says "entering diagnostics mode". I expect it will eventually time out, and end up in the same loop as above. I'll update if it ever changes.

I turned away for a bit, and when I went back to it, it was running the same scan that it's been doing (instead of sitting at the diagnostics menu). So I guess my expectation came true.

#10 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

I have a few DVR's and they all recovered
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#11 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

Three HR20-100's. All have 1TB or larger internal HDD's. All recovered nicely.:D
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#12 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

My R22 gets stuck on step 1 of 2 for about 20 minutes. I just let is sit while I do other things.

#13 OFFLINE   denvertrakker

denvertrakker

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

R22-100. Took about 6 RBR's to get it to wake up, this morning everything SEEMS OK, and guide has repopulated. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and I got the email too...
Big TV/Two smaller TVs/Two DVRs and a box/Big grey dish facing south

#14 OFFLINE   ntwrkd

ntwrkd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

Actually have 3 dvr's- the HR24-500 was fine and 1 of my HR-21 100's (have 2 with external drives) was boned. All is well now after wifey rbr'd the one in the kitchen.:shrug:

#15 OFFLINE   eckhart

eckhart

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

I have 3 HD DVRs, and all recovered after multiple RBRs. On my HR21, however, my 30+ scheduled events and all recorded material was wiped on my external eSata (Calvary 1TB). The other DVRs also had external drives (750gb Free Agent Pros) and those were not affected.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

I voted “I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered”.

I also have a DVR with an internal drive and that has recovered also. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

All my HRs came back up properly both with internals and eSATAs. Have no problems at all. Would have voted if the poll allowed for multiple choices.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

My R22 gets stuck on step 1 of 2 for about 20 minutes. I just let is sit while I do other things.

Just to clarify, it's not that I'm not giving it enough time, after it spends 15+ mins on step 1 of two, the DVR jumps straight to a disk scan on it's own. Trying to force an advanced scan results in the same thing. Once it's done, the only choice is to reboot, which results in the same loop

At this point, based on the preliminary poll results, it does look like an external drive does indeed greatly increase the chances that something go wrong: 33% vs. 6% for an internal drive. Obviously, those numbers aren't accurate, because there are likely more people with issues responding to the poll that people without issues. But the relative difference between the internal drive responses and external drive responses should be indicative of something.

Exactly why an external drive would have more issues, I'm not sure. Perhaps because it's powered up the entire time. Or maybe something to do with how or when the DVR connects to the external vs. the internal. Since there does appear to be a much higher percentage of people with external drives that just so happened to "fail" during this glitch compared to internal drives, that suggests this isn't just a coincidence: it wasn't just weak hardware that was on the verge of dying, with death triggered by the mere fact that it was rebooted (and in fact, a reboot on an external drive may even be less stressful than an internal one, since an external wouldn't go through a power cycle - internal, I'm not sure).

So then the question becomes: is it likely, or even possible for the DVR to "kill" a drive? Can it send data to the drive that actually makes it fail? I would tend to lean towards that it's something more simple: somehow the "glitch" put some "bad" data on the drive that is causing something to make the DVR think that the drive is bad. The DVR disk scan repeatedly says the drive is good, but then acts like it's bad during boot. So I guess my next step is going to be to connect the drive to a PC, reformat it, then connect it back up to the DVR. That should cause the DVR to reformat it. If it's just a data glitch, that should get rid of it. But if that doesn't work, I guess I just need to call DirecTV and get the DVR replaced. :shrug:

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Just to clarify, it's not that I'm not giving it enough time, after it spends 15+ mins on step 1 of two, the DVR jumps straight to a disk scan on it's own. Trying to force an advanced scan results in the same thing. Once it's done, the only choice is to reboot, which results in the same loop

At this point, based on the preliminary poll results, it does look like an external drive does indeed greatly increase the chances that something go wrong: 33% vs. 6% for an internal drive. Obviously, those numbers aren't accurate, because there are likely more people with issues responding to the poll that people without issues. But the relative difference between the internal drive responses and external drive responses should be indicative of something.

Exactly why an external drive would have more issues, I'm not sure. Perhaps because it's powered up the entire time. Or maybe something to do with how or when the DVR connects to the external vs. the internal. Since there does appear to be a much higher percentage of people with external drives that just so happened to "fail" during this glitch compared to internal drives, that suggests this isn't just a coincidence: it wasn't just weak hardware that was on the verge of dying, with death triggered by the mere fact that it was rebooted (and in fact, a reboot on an external drive may even be less stressful than an internal one, since an external wouldn't go through a power cycle - internal, I'm not sure).

So then the question becomes: is it likely, or even possible for the DVR to "kill" a drive? Can it send data to the drive that actually makes it fail? I would tend to lean towards that it's something more simple: somehow the "glitch" put some "bad" data on the drive that is causing something to make the DVR think that the drive is bad. The DVR disk scan repeatedly says the drive is good, but then acts like it's bad during boot. So I guess my next step is going to be to connect the drive to a PC, reformat it, then connect it back up to the DVR. That should cause the DVR to reformat it. If it's just a data glitch, that should get rid of it. But if that doesn't work, I guess I just need to call DirecTV and get the DVR replaced. :shrug:

I've had more than one eSATA killed by an NR. I also think that when an eSATA and an HR come "on" at the same time it becomes a crapshoot as to whether the HR will properly recognize the eSATA.

Logically, an NR should not wreck an eSATA. The eSATA powers up well before the HR is even in the "blue screen". But it's happened to me too many times to really buy into that logic. The best thing you can do is unplug an eSATA before the NR hits. But that's damn near impossible to do since you never know when the NR is gonna download.

The one thing that's never happened to me since I started using UPS on all my HRs is losing an eSATA as the result of a power outage. In that case the eSATA always comes thru unscathed. I have always immediately unplugged all my eSATAs and all my HRs in the event of a power outage. Then I follow the protocol of plugging in the eSATA first and then plugging in the HR. Has worked every time so far.

Consider those two scenarios and you will see that following the proper protocol for getting the HR to recognize the eSATA seems to work every time. You just can't do that when an NR downloads.

Want to wreck an eSATA? Pull the jumper cord out of either the HR or the eSATA when they are running correctly and then plug it back in. Then it becomes a matter of pure luck. Most likely bad luck.

The problems I've had with the eSATAs are what has caused me to purchase owned HRs on the Net. I've never had an HDD go bad after an NR when it was used internally. I think I've proved to myself that eSATAs are not trustworthy. Large internals in the HRs simply work better. And the larger the internal drive, the better the HRs work.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   BruceS

BruceS

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

I noticed you have an HR21-200.

I have an HR20-700 , an HR21-200 and an HR24-500.

Both the HR20 and HR21 locked up yesterday morning, while the HR24 continued to operate normally.

I was able to do the dual boot easily on the HR20-700, but was never able to get the HR21-200 to boot until the fix was sent yesterday afternoon. I tried unplugging the power and waiting various times without success as well as multiple attempts at RBR.

At least when the fix was sent, the HR21-200 did power up and has worked fine since that time.

Both the HR21 and HR20 have external drives.

I also noticed that when the fix was sent the HR24-500 booted as well.

The only thing I needed to do to get everything working correctly after the fix was do one more boot of the HR24-500 using the menu's. It did not show the shows recorded on the other boxes until that was done.
Hitachi P60X901 HDTV
HR21-200, HR20-700, HR24-500, HR44-500
Tivo S3, Tivo Premiere HDXL
Sony BDP-CX960 Blu Ray Player
Sony DVP-CX995V DVD Player
Marantz SR7001 A/V Receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...