Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Those with issues with their receivers after yesterday's glitch...

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Has your DVR recovered? (257 member(s) have cast votes)

Has your DVR recovered?

1. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (194 votes [75.49%])

Percentage of vote: 75.49%

2. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (14 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

3. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (38 votes [14.79%])

Percentage of vote: 14.79%

4. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (11 votes [4.28%])

Percentage of vote: 4.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX, USA

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

Everything on all of my DVRs from an MRV perspective were working great until the download glitch the other night. My two HR20s have recovered fine and MRV between them works fine.

My new HR24 though seems to have lost its ability to connect to the network. I simply get "169" networks when set to automatic and get network errors if I manually set the IP settings for my network.

I have rebooted the HR24, reset the networking settings, etc. to no avail.

Any thoughts? Ideas? I am obviously running in an MRV solution that is "unsupported" as I do not have DECA, but am using hard-wired ethernet, so i cannot contact D* about this. :nono:
TAnsley

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

I've had more than one eSATA killed by an NR...

Hmm, that's troubling to hear. And I can't fault your logic... when I first got this unit, I put an external drive on it that failed before it's (expected) time, but I was willing to accept that as luck of the draw. I reverted back to the internal drive until that ultimately died, which I "fixed" by putting this new external drive on it. I hate to think that my 10 day old external drive got fried by DirecTV's glitch, but it's certainly possible. I'll attach it to a PC, run WD diagnostics on it, reformat it, and try it on the DVR again. If it truly is dead, I'll get DirecTV to replace the DVR, and stick to the internal drives from now on. Now that I've shifted all broadcast TV recording to an HTPC, I don't need nearly as much recording space, so the internal will be fine.

FWIW, I do have a UPS on all my systems. So the drive does stay powered up at all times. But as you say, it's impossible to know when a NR will hit, or a pushed reboot to fix a data "glitch". :(
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#23 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

(3) HR21-100: All recovered nicely.

I must admit, on turn on this morning my remotes refused to work after turn on and bringing up guide. Did a search here and didn't see any similar reports. Was going to do a RBR, but both remotes came back to life.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#24 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

Two HR20-700s... one with a 750g eSATA one stock. Both recovered fine.
HS
D* user since 11/94

#25 OFFLINE   SubSlr08

SubSlr08

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

After all the rigamorole the other day it seems like everything is functioning as should be - EXCEPT - I don't have any optical output to my stereo receiver. Is this a fluke? Anyone else having this problem?? :confused:
Submariners do it deepest!
D* since 1996
HR21-100 on Slimline Dish
1tb eSATA by Cavalry
Samsung LN-S4092D 40" LCD via HDMI
CyberPower 850 VA UPS
Sony STR-DN1000 Rcvr - via Optical
Wharfedale 5.1 Spkr System

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

After all the rigamorole the other day it seems like everything is functioning as should be - EXCEPT - I don't have any optical output to my stereo receiver. Is this a fluke? Anyone else having this problem?? :confused:

I use optical on all my receivers, and they all came back fine.

I'm connected to an Octava switch with the Optical out going to a Yamaha receiver.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#27 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

Is this the first time you've posted about this? I could swear I've seen another post about that issue, but now I can't find it. Maybe I'm getting it confused with TAnsley's loss of ethernet connectivity. I have seen these things behave very oddly with bad drive data. My other HR21 arrived with a bad hard drive, but I didn't realize at first that the HD was the cause. It just acted "flaky". The ring of light would display a single section during normal play, it would spontaneously reboot, etc. It wasn't until the 90 day warranty was up that it actually started giving me "storage device" errors. I replaced the drive, and THAT unit has been operating fine ever since. The unit I'm having problems with now also has an AM-21 attached to it. When it's internal drive started to go out, I would have weird issues where the AM-21 power light would stay on when the DVR was powered down (they normally light in unison). So the moral is: weird things do happen to these things that seem to defy logical diagnostics. :shrug:

#28 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Darin, are you sure that the External Drive has Fully Spun Up before you Plug it into the DVR and Power On the DVR???

Sometimes the eSATA Controller is slow and the DVR does not recognize it because it hasn't responded yet and it thinks there is no activity at the eSATA Port so it boots up in the Internal Drive and if yours is bad then that could be the problem.

Just a WAS!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Yes, I've powered both down a couple different times, waited, and powered the external up well before the DVR. And of course, during the initial problem (coming home to the DVR stuck in the scanning screen after the pushed reboot), the external drive would have never spun down to start with. I've watched it when the DVR boots, and the activity light on the external drive does flash. Unfortunately, I've not found any way to determine for SURE that it does in fact decide to go ahead and use the external drive (the scan screen doesn't give any information about the drive it's scanning). But it does scan relatively quickly (45 mins or so), but when it's done, it says 100% passed, no errors found or corrected. But then it sits on the "everything's good" screen for about five minutes before progressing to the "everything's not good with the storage device, try rebooting" screen. But I think regardless, if I reformat the drive with NTFS, I would think that would force the DVR to immediately do it's own format once it's reconnected, so I should then know for sure that it's using the external. I'll report back tonight.

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hmm, that's troubling to hear. And I can't fault your logic... when I first got this unit, I put an external drive on it that failed before it's (expected) time, but I was willing to accept that as luck of the draw. I reverted back to the internal drive until that ultimately died, which I "fixed" by putting this new external drive on it. I hate to think that my 10 day old external drive got fried by DirecTV's glitch, but it's certainly possible. I'll attach it to a PC, run WD diagnostics on it, reformat it, and try it on the DVR again. If it truly is dead, I'll get DirecTV to replace the DVR, and stick to the internal drives from now on. Now that I've shifted all broadcast TV recording to an HTPC, I don't need nearly as much recording space, so the internal will be fine.

FWIW, I do have a UPS on all my systems. So the drive does stay powered up at all times. But as you say, it's impossible to know when a NR will hit, or a pushed reboot to fix a data "glitch". :(

Unfortunately, it took me a couple years to see what should have been obvious about the eSATAs. I still have a couple and they have weathered every storm. But I know it's only a matter of time until one gets shot and dies. Don't think anybody can be blamed for this, we accepted the "unsupported" eSATA function and were happy with it, but after buying my own HRs and putting the huge HDDs in them it's pretty plain to me that this is the way to go.

Most of the problems folks have had that were caused by the NRs to the eSATAs couldn't have been avoided and the UPS does nothing during an NR. At least when the power goes out folks can and should disconnect the plugs on both the HRs and the eSATAs and power them up in the proper sequence when the power comes back on.

Of all the eSATAs I have had, I gotta say that the MX-1 enclosures were, by far, the least susceptible to harm from an NR.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well it seems like both internal and external drives have problems. and while the poll may not be totally accurate, a 7% non-recovery rate is not good if it is even close to being accurate. Even a 1% failure rate would be a huge headache for DirecTV.

#32 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

after buying my own HRs and putting the huge HDDs in them it's pretty plain to me that this is the way to go.

Yes, the "good" unit I have is the one that arrived with a bad drive which I replaced (with a larger drive). I've had no problems with it since. But that is an owned unit (which is why I didn't/couldn't dump it back in DirecTV's lap when the drive died). The one I'm currently having problems with is leased. But it is SUCH a PITA to pull it out and replace it, that I really want to fix the issue if at all possible before resorting to that.

Of all the eSATAs I have had, I gotta say that the MX-1 enclosures were, by far, the least susceptible to harm from an NR.

That's interesting. I THOUGHT that the eSATA data is essentially just passed straight through from the eSATA connector on the back of the enclosure to the drive itself, and the differences between enclosures just comes down to cooling, power quality, and circuitry for other interfaces, if present. But of course, if it does have multiple interfaces (as most due, such as USB), I guess there could be different implementations in how those are "switched". But regardless, if I can't get this fixed, I'll definitely just be using the stock internal drives going forward. I just hate that I went and bought a new drive 10 days before the "big glitch". :nono:

#33 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

Well it seems like both internal and external drives have problems. and while the poll may not be totally accurate, a 7% non-recovery rate is not good if it is even close to being accurate. Even a 1% failure rate would be a huge headache for DirecTV.

Yes, I agree, but again, I certainly wouldn't use these numbers as anything close to an indication of how many units couldn't recover. I was just trying to quantify a difference in failure rates between internal and external drives. But it seems clear that the external drives have had a higher failure rate, and thanks to input from others, it does appear that they are, for whatever reason, more susceptible to "glitches" than internals. So even if I don't get mine fixed, the information gathered has been helpful. Lesson learned.

But I agree, regardless of what the real numbers are, obviously some units were brought down by the glitch. I guess the positive spin on that is that hopefully that gives DirecTV financial incentive to focus on preventing them in the future. :sure:

#34 OFFLINE   SubSlr08

SubSlr08

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

I use optical on all my receivers, and they all came back fine. I'm connected to an Octava switch with the Optical out going to a Yamaha receiver. Mike

Is this the first time you've posted about this? I could swear I've seen another post about that issue, but now I can't find it.

Thanks, Mike. I'm going thru a switch too but everything else hooked to it seems to be OK - DVD & DVD-Rec. Maybe the TOS link got pulled loose or something while I was fiddling with the power plug. Oh, how I hate to crawl back there, tho......

Darin, I did post something two days ago on the 03Xfe discussion or issues forum, but I can't find it either~! 'Lil 'tronic gremlins, I suspect. :P

Thanks.............
Submariners do it deepest!
D* since 1996
HR21-100 on Slimline Dish
1tb eSATA by Cavalry
Samsung LN-S4092D 40" LCD via HDMI
CyberPower 850 VA UPS
Sony STR-DN1000 Rcvr - via Optical
Wharfedale 5.1 Spkr System

#35 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

I have an R22 but no HD. It locked up and rebooted by itself around 3PM like all the HD DVR's but it seems to have recovered completely including the guide now having all the "cast & crew" and that new parental narrative back.

Perhaps some of the units that didn't recover had something to do with HD?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#36 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Success! Well, at least for now. This morning before I left for work, it still hadn't made any progress. So I turned it off (hearing reports that extended periods turned off my help). After leaving it off for 11 hours, it went right back to the same loop it's been stuck in since the glitch. So I powered it down, and proceeded with my plan: connected the drive to a PC, ran WD extended diagnostics (took a little over 2 hrs, it's a 640GB drive), which it passed. Then I used the WD utility to write zeroes to the drive (full erase rather than the quick one). That took another 2+ hrs. Powered it down, connected it back up to the DVR, powered up, the DVR formatted it, then it booted right up.

I'm not 100% convinced that it's not going to crap out again. I seem to remember when the 1st external went bad that it would pass diagnostics on the PC, and work for a bit after a format. But I've got my fingers crossed that the drive really is good. If it does error out again, I think I've done all I can do. I'll have to bite the bullet and just replace the DVR, and avoid external drives in the future.

So if anyone out there has a unit with an external drive that still hasn't recovered, try the steps above. :)

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

Success! Well, at least for now. This morning before I left for work, it still hadn't made any progress. So I turned it off (hearing reports that extended periods turned off my help). After leaving it off for 11 hours, it went right back to the same loop it's been stuck in since the glitch. So I powered it down, and proceeded with my plan: connected the drive to a PC, ran WD extended diagnostics (took a little over 2 hrs, it's a 640GB drive), which it passed. Then I used the WD utility to write zeroes to the drive (full erase rather than the quick one). That took another 2+ hrs. Powered it down, connected it back up to the DVR, powered up, the DVR formatted it, then it booted right up.

I'm not 100% convinced that it's not going to crap out again. I seem to remember when the 1st external went bad that it would pass diagnostics on the PC, and work for a bit after a format. But I've got my fingers crossed that the drive really is good. If it does error out again, I think I've done all I can do. I'll have to bite the bullet and just replace the DVR, and avoid external drives in the future.

So if anyone out there has a unit with an external drive that still hasn't recovered, try the steps above. :)

Based on the results...that evidence would lead me to believe there was a 60/40 probability there was an issue with the drive over the DVR itself.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#38 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

Based on the results...that evidence would lead me to believe there was a 60/40 probability there was an issue with the drive over the DVR itself.

Well, I guess it may be an issue of semantics. From DirecTV's perspective, there is an issue with the DVR, because the internal drive is bad. From their perspective, it's not considered a user serviceable part. So the DVR, as a unit, is "bad", and should technically be replaced. However, because I didn't want to hassle with getting a replacement, I simply attached an external drive. Which worked fine until "the glitch", which also, based on the results, caused issues for a disproportionately high percentage of other external drive users.

While it's probably too early to proclaim definitively that the drive is actually fine, preliminary results would suggest that there's actually nothing wrong with the drive: The DVR diagnostics repeatedly said there were no errors, yet it wouldn't boot with the drive. Western Digital diagnostics say there's nothing wrong with the drive. And after wiping the drive and re-attaching it to the DVR, it is (so far) working just fine.

So the results would lead ME to believe that "the glitch" imposed a data error on the drive that the DVR was simply unable to remove. Once it was removed with external tools, the DVR seems happy with the drive. I'm not sure why would think there's a 60/40 chance the drive was the problem. :confused:

#39 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Well, I guess it may be an issue of semantics. From DirecTV's perspective, there is an issue with the DVR, because the internal drive is bad. From their perspective, it's not considered a user serviceable part. So the DVR is bad, and should technically be replaced. However, because I didn't want to hassle with getting a replacement, I simply attached an external drive. Which worked fine until "the glitch", which also, based on the results, caused issues for a disproportionately high percentage of other external drive users.

While it's probably too early to proclaim definitively that the drive is actually fine, preliminary results would suggest that there's actually nothing wrong with the drive: The DVR diagnostics repeatedly said there were no errors, yet it wouldn't boot with the drive. Western Digital diagnostics say there's nothing wrong with the drive. And after wiping the drive and re-attaching it to the DVR, it is (so far) working just fine.

So the results would lead ME to believe that "the glitch" imposed a data error on the drive that the DVR was simply unable to remove. Once it was removed with external tools, the DVR seems happy with the drive. I'm not sure why would think there's a 60/40 chance the drive was the problem. :confused:

Agreed that from their perspective...they'd see it as the DVR.

That said...it will be interesting to see how your "experiment" works out over the next month or so. Much like PCs....recurring problems would likely show up sooner if they're going to come back.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#40 OFFLINE   JoeDokes327

JoeDokes327

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

I have a HR20-100 with a 2TB external WD MyWorld drive. Got the same 24 hour scan and reboot. No errors found by scan but HR20 rebooted to the internal drive. I have rebooted numerous times. If it recognizes the external drive it goes into scan mode, if it does not it boots to the internal drive. When it boots to the internal drive all functionality appears normal with the exception of not having access to the 1.4 TB of programming on the external drive and all of the DVR settings stored on the external drive. Tech support had no suggestions other than A. contacting the HD manufacturer (like they wound have a solution) or B. hook it up to my HR21. I had to remind him that hooking it to the HR21 would destroy all the recordings on the external drive. This is my theory on the problem. The faulty update was loaded to the external drive. When they sent the fix for it, the update went to the internal drive because the first update rendered the external drive inaccessible. Because the system will not boot to the external drive there doesn't appear to be any way to replace the faulty update on the external drive. It's curious that some people have been able to reboot their external drives and others can't. Perhaps the "transmission glitch" affected different brands of drives in different ways. So far have no ideas other than continuing to attempt reboots and hope one eventually works. Any new info out there on a solution. When I talked to DTV they acted like they were unaware of any issues with external drives.

spam firewall