Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Those with issues with their receivers after yesterday's glitch...

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Has your DVR recovered? (257 member(s) have cast votes)

Has your DVR recovered?

1. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (194 votes [75.49%])

Percentage of vote: 75.49%

2. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (14 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

3. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (38 votes [14.79%])

Percentage of vote: 14.79%

4. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (11 votes [4.28%])

Percentage of vote: 4.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

It's curious that some people have been able to reboot their external drives and others can't. Perhaps the "transmission glitch" affected different brands of drives in different ways.

It would also be interesting to compare whether or not people "fixed" the glitch themselves with RBRs, as opposed to those who weren't home at the time and had the DVRs sitting in the unresponsive mode until DirecTV pushed the reboot. I wasn't home, so ours depended on the pushed reboot, and was in the scan screen when we got home. Different people were also on different NRs, maybe some were recording and some not, there could be many variables.

So far have no ideas other than continuing to attempt reboots and hope one eventually works.

With external drives being an "unsupported" feature, I doubt that you'll get a solution from DirecTV. At some point, absent of any other suggestions, you may have to give up on maintaining the existing recordings, and try wiping the drive like I did. For me, it was just an issue of spending the time to do it. Since that drive had only been in operation for 10 days, it wasn't like there was a ton of stuff on there (especially considering that it's not our only DVR, and we don't use these DVRs for locals any more). I understand it can be painful with a 2TB drive that has been acquiring programming for a long time. :(
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

It would also be interesting to compare whether or not people "fixed" the glitch themselves with RBRs, as opposed to those who weren't home at the time and had the DVRs sitting in the unresponsive mode until DirecTV pushed the reboot.

That's a good point. The double reboots flushed the guide data by doing two within a certain time. The reboot command sent by DirecTV apparently was supposed to also flush the guide instead of a simple reboot. The different methods may have resulted in different results.

That's interesting. I THOUGHT that the eSATA data is essentially just passed straight through from the eSATA connector on the back of the enclosure to the drive itself, and the differences between enclosures just comes down to cooling, power quality, and circuitry for other interfaces, if present. But of course, if it does have multiple interfaces (as most due, such as USB), .....

At least with the MX1 case there is additional circuitry since it has a USB interface too. This may be why I never had any problems booting to the external drive while the internal one was pysically disconnected. Some people said theirs would not boot at all if the internal was not connected.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

At least with the MX1 case there is additional circuitry since it has a USB interface too. This may be why I never had any problems booting to the external drive while the internal one was pysically disconnected. Some people said theirs would not boot at all if the internal was not connected.

How long ago was it that you tried to run an HR with the internal unplugged or removed? There was a time when you could do it, but that time has passed as far as I know. The last time I tried it was in response to a post by Trailblazer, who could not get his 20-100 to boot up with the power disconnected to the internal HDD and I had to try it. Tried it with the same 20-700 that I ran for several months without an internal and it wouldn't boot up on the external drive. You can get them to boot up on the external and then remove the internal's power cord, but as far as I know, you can't get a full reboot with the power cord removed.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

How long ago was it that you tried to run an HR with the internal unplugged or removed?

I was right doing it up until about 2 weeks ago (with several reboots to prove it still worked). The only reason I put the external drives inside the HR20-700s (two of them) is because the fan had failed on one of the MX1 cases. But it was working fine with the internal disconnected long after the claim was made that it would not work. <shrug>

Of course I am regretting it because the annoying 'thrashing' is even louder in the unit than in the external cases. :nono2:

#45 OFFLINE   rbharned

rbharned

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

I had similar issues with an HR20-700 and WD 2TB external drive... the HR20 was completely bricked.. multiple multiple RBRs, numerous power up and down with and with out the external Esata drive and nothing but a circular blue LEDs. D* replace my HR-20 with a (hopefully) refurbished one.. and it activated fine without the external drive. When I plugged in (with the HR20 powered down as well as the drive) the Esata drive, it scanned for 18 hours... detected 0 errors. gave code 75-745.... and said restart. So I did that ... and guess what .. the same scan started over. Called D* customer service and they were not helpful at all... basically saying the death of the Esata drive was my problem. I indicated that FIOS was starting to look pretty good now.

So now running WD extended diagnostics... projected time about 10 hrs. Plan to try to reconnect the drive and try again if it passes. If not guess I can format the drive and lose all my programs :<.

Very underwhelmed at the Directv response.

#46 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

I had similar issues with an HR20-700 and WD 2TB external drive... the HR20 was completely bricked.. multiple multiple RBRs, numerous power up and down with and with out the external Esata drive and nothing but a circular blue LEDs. D* replace my HR-20 with a (hopefully) refurbished one.. and it activated fine without the external drive. When I plugged in (with the HR20 powered down as well as the drive) the Esata drive, it scanned for 18 hours... detected 0 errors. gave code 75-745.... and said restart. So I did that ... and guess what .. the same scan started over. Called D* customer service and they were not helpful at all... basically saying the death of the Esata drive was my problem. I indicated that FIOS was starting to look pretty good now.

So now running WD extended diagnostics... projected time about 10 hrs. Plan to try to reconnect the drive and try again if it passes. If not guess I can format the drive and lose all my programs :<.

eSATA has always been unsupported, as such, I'm not sure just what you expect them to do?

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#47 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,185 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

eSATA has always been unsupported, as such, I'm not sure just what you expect them to do?

Start a eSATA fee. :lol:
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#48 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

You're programs are gone...the new HR20 won't play them. Programs are tied to the receiver they were recorded on.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#49 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

Well, I guess it may be an issue of semantics. From DirecTV's perspective, there is an issue with the DVR, because the internal drive is bad. From their perspective, it's not considered a user serviceable part. So the DVR, as a unit, is "bad", and should technically be replaced. However, because I didn't want to hassle with getting a replacement, I simply attached an external drive. Which worked fine until "the glitch", which also, based on the results, caused issues for a disproportionately high percentage of other external drive users.

While it's probably too early to proclaim definitively that the drive is actually fine, preliminary results would suggest that there's actually nothing wrong with the drive: The DVR diagnostics repeatedly said there were no errors, yet it wouldn't boot with the drive. Western Digital diagnostics say there's nothing wrong with the drive. And after wiping the drive and re-attaching it to the DVR, it is (so far) working just fine.

So the results would lead ME to believe that "the glitch" imposed a data error on the drive that the DVR was simply unable to remove. Once it was removed with external tools, the DVR seems happy with the drive. I'm not sure why would think there's a 60/40 chance the drive was the problem. :confused:

Glad to see you have a resolution. I own the R22 so I may get the security torx and run some utils on the drive to wipe it clean. I'm guessing that the system is doing some type of CHKDSK each time I reboot. It's only been doing this over the last couple of NRs.

#50 OFFLINE   worker

worker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

One of my HR-22's would not recover. It was stuck at step 1 of 2. After numerous reboots I finally ran the advanced disk test on it. It hung at 11% for essentially 2 days. Pulled the drive and tried to run WD diagnostics on it and it won't even spin up. Had a spare WD 1.5gb EADS sitting here so installed it and all is well. I doubt the guide issue killed it, it was probably on the way out and maybe this just helped it along.

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

I was right doing it up until about 2 weeks ago (with several reboots to prove it still worked). The only reason I put the external drives inside the HR20-700s (two of them) is because the fan had failed on one of the MX1 cases. But it was working fine with the internal disconnected long after the claim was made that it would not work. <shrug>

Of course I am regretting it because the annoying 'thrashing' is even louder in the unit than in the external cases. :nono2:

Huh. I couldn't get the 20-700 to reboot with the power cord to the internal pulled. I dunno what to say.

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

What model of WD HDD were you using? Wouldn't be an EARS by any chance, would it? Sounds like it. If it is an EARS model, you can run diagnostics on it for the next year or so, it's still not gonna work in an HR.

D* has never said it supported the eSATA function, the response you got was proper.

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Start a eSATA fee. :lol:

The big mistake they made was suggesting the two eSATAs in the first place. I know that Seagate has little or no interest in their Showcase eSATA and, while the WD that D* suggested does seem to work properly, with that 1TB HDD in it why would you spend the money on it? Remember, it was only a suggestion. I know they meant well, but they shouldn't have done it.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

The big mistake they made was suggesting the two eSATAs in the first place. I know that Seagate has little or no interest in their Showcase eSATA and, while the WD that D* suggested does seem to work properly, with that 1TB HDD in it why would you spend the money on it? Remember, it was only a suggestion. I know they meant well, but they shouldn't have done it.

Rich

Good points Rich.

In my case...my 1TB Hitachi has worked flawlessly (and cool and quiet) as an internal HR2x drive for some time now. Sometimes it comes down to specific makes/models to get compatibility. I consider you one of the better experts on that front. :)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Good points Rich.

In my case...my 1TB Hitachi has worked flawlessly (and cool and quiet) as an internal HR2x drive for some time now. Sometimes it comes down to specific makes/models to get compatibility. I consider you one of the better experts on that front. :)

Thanx. Appreciate that thought, I do. :)

I've been tempted to try one of the Hitachi HDDs for some time. But I'm hooked on the WDs and will be replacing my Seagate internals with WDs in the near future. More money flying out the window. :lol:

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Thanx. Appreciate that thought, I do. :)

I've been tempted to try one of the Hitachi HDDs for some time. But I'm hooked on the WDs and will be replacing my Seagate internals with WDs in the near future. More money flying out the window. :lol:

Rich

I can understand that.

I have traditionally been successful with Seagates in the past, but over time, have moved to WD and Hitachi drives...both with success. Ive seen those two manufacturers seem to have better results with cool temps, reliable operations, and low noise.

But you da man, when it comes to the universe of hard drives. :D

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

I can understand that.

I have traditionally been successful with Seagates in the past, but over time, have moved to WD and Hitachi drives...both with success. Ive seen those two manufacturers seem to have better results with cool temps, reliable operations, and low noise.

But you da man, when it comes to the universe of hard drives. :D

A couple of my Seagates that were so silent are now chattering and my two WD 2TBs are close to silent, so I do have a reason for replacing the drives. What surprises me is that with TiVos, I had more trouble with WD HDDs than any other HDD with the exception of Samsung HDDs. Never had much problem with Seagates. But, it seems as if WD has surpassed Seagate when it comes to silent running and cooling. The two 20-700s that I have internal WD 2TBs in are running at a steady 120 degrees. The other seven run at about an average of 127 degrees. Does that affect the chattering? I don't know, but the WDs don't chatter as the Seagates do.

How much cooler do the HRs with the Hitachis run at?

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   rbharned

rbharned

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

My WD is a model WDH2Q20000N My Book Studio Edition II... it worked fine for more than a year with no issues. I would agree that if I had gone to Best Buy and bought a drive and it turned out to be not compatible -- I would not expect support for that. But to send out a software / data update that killed 1/3 of HR's with external drives (based on the survey in this thread) would seem to implicate D* with some degree of accountability.

Drive passed extended test with no issues and is about 30% thru its 2nd 18 hour scan...next step is to zero the data and see if that works.

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

A couple of my Seagates that were so silent are now chattering and my two WD 2TBs are close to silent, so I do have a reason for replacing the drives. What surprises me is that with TiVos, I had more trouble with WD HDDs than any other HDD with the exception of Samsung HDDs. Never had much problem with Seagates. But, it seems as if WD has surpassed Seagate when it comes to silent running and cooling. The two 20-700s that I have internal WD 2TBs in are running at a steady 120 degrees. The other seven run at about an average of 127 degrees. Does that affect the chattering? I don't know, but the WDs don't chatter as the Seagates do.

How much cooler do the HRs with the Hitachis run at?

Rich

My HR2x's (containing Hitachi drives) run about 112-113 degrees - both in rack mounts. Top temp ever was 116 (once).

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

My HR2x's (containing Hitachi drives) run about 112-113 degrees - both in rack mounts. Top temp ever was 116 (once).

They are not 20-700s are they?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...