Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Those with issues with their receivers after yesterday's glitch...

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Has your DVR recovered? (257 member(s) have cast votes)

Has your DVR recovered?

1. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (194 votes [75.49%])

Percentage of vote: 75.49%

2. I have a DVR with an INTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (14 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

3. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it HAS recovered (38 votes [14.79%])

Percentage of vote: 14.79%

4. I have a DVR with an EXTERNAL drive, and it has NOT recovered (11 votes [4.28%])

Percentage of vote: 4.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

Other equipment in the "immediate neighborhood" changed.

In simpler terms, both were 8-9 degrees below previous levels prior to the Hitachi install.

[Since that time, the HR21-200 has been moved, and now averages 109-112, depending on what other equipment is running in that "immediate neighborhood"]

Basically - it runs cooler with the Hitachi drive (and quiet).

If folks are looking for a viable replacement...I can confirm these work, and work well in all HR21 and newer units.

Wonder if anybody has tried one in a 20-700? They are kinda picky about the HDDs they will recognize.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Wonder if anybody has tried one in a 20-700? They are kinda picky about the HDDs they will recognize.

Rich

Agree.

As I recall...a number of the issues revolved around supporting 1.5, as opposed to 3.0 throughput, commonly with a "jumper" setting. When the HR20-700 came out, most drives defaulted to 1.5, and only a few supported the 3.0 setup. Now things are pretty much the opposite.

Fortunately, pretty much everything after the HR20 series uses the 3.0 configuration...so more drives (in theory) should work.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#83 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

Agree.

As I recall...a number of the issues revolved around supporting 1.5, as opposed to 3.0 throughput, commonly with a "jumper" setting. When the HR20-700 came out, most drives defaulted to 1.5, and only a few supported the 3.0 setup. Now things are pretty much the opposite.

Fortunately, pretty much everything after the HR20 series uses the 3.0 configuration...so more drives (in theory) should work.

FWIW, the 1TB WD drives (WD10EACS) that I've been using for quite a while came defaulted to 3.0. It was recommended to jumper them to 1.5 which I did when I had them in the MX1 cases (maybe another reason my units booted to the eSATA with the internal drive disconnected). When I put them inside the HR20-700s, I removed the jumpers and they work just fine at 3.0

#84 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

FWIW, the 1TB WD drives (WD10EACS) that I've been using for quite a while came defaulted to 3.0. It was recommended to jumper them to 1.5 which I did when I had them in the MX1 cases (maybe another reason my units booted to the eSATA with the internal drive disconnected). When I put them inside the HR20-700s, I removed the jumpers and they work just fine at 3.0

That sure wasn't the case with the Seagate drives...used 2 different models, and the ONLY worked at 1.5.

The HR20's have historically been "more fussy" about drives (internal and external) than others after that generation. For that reason, specific models were determined over time - some worked, some didn't.

#85 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

Agree.

Agree, I do.

Rich

#86 OFFLINE   blusgtone

blusgtone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Just to provide an update, so far my wiped drive is continuing to work just fine connected to the DVR that previosly wouldn't boot with it. It is continuing to appear that the "glitch" simply placed some kind of error that could not be removed by the DVR's buit in tools, but could be removed by wiping via a PC.

What did you use to wipe your drive. I tried formatting quick and slow, un-allocating the drive, error checking, everything. I still get blue screen error checking every time.

#87 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

My drive is a Western Digital, so I used the downloadable WD data lifeguard tool to first scan it for errors, then "write zeros". Each manufacturer has their own tool, and they typically code it to only work with their own drives. The "wipe zeros" function had a "quick" and "full erase" option, I chose full erase. I would expect a full format to essentially do the same thing. It's quite possible that your dive is bad. But I'd definitely try the diagnostic tools available for your brand to confirm.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#88 OFFLINE   JoeDokes327

JoeDokes327

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:33 AM

I know that, for whatever reason, each NR kills some HDDs, internal or external, mostly external. Of course, somebody is gonna say that those drives that fail are "marginal" and deserve to fail, but I don't believe that. Perhaps that's true for a tiny segment of the failed drives, but not for all of them.

Rich

Yeah I guess someone should talk to WD about "marginal" 2 TB drives that work perfectly for 3 weeks and then fail without the slightest warning. No doubt the precise correlation with the timing of that "transmission glitch" was purely coincidental. And just to add insult to injury, while connected to my laptop, the Device Manager sees the physical drive but Windows 7 cannot locate any file structure. Apparently DTV either altered the boot sector or the file system. It looks like whether I want to use it for DTV or for my computer either way I'm gonna have to wipe it and reformat it. Not to mention all the DVD sets I'm gonna have to buy because I'm now missing Episodes 1-5 of a half dozen shows I hadn't had time to watch yet.

Interestingly when I called them, they stated that it was an unsupported feature when initially rolled out but external drives are now a supported feature. But of course there database didn't have a solution to the problem and at that time they wouldn't even acknowledge that they were the source of the problem.

Pete

#89 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

Yeah I guess someone should talk to WD about "marginal" 2 TB drives that work perfectly for 3 weeks and then fail without the slightest warning. No doubt the precise correlation with the timing of that "transmission glitch" was purely coincidental. And just to add insult to injury, while connected to my laptop, the Device Manager sees the physical drive but Windows 7 cannot locate any file structure. Apparently DTV either altered the boot sector or the file system. It looks like whether I want to use it for DTV or for my computer either way I'm gonna have to wipe it and reformat it. Not to mention all the DVD sets I'm gonna have to buy because I'm now missing Episodes 1-5 of a half dozen shows I hadn't had time to watch yet.

Interestingly when I called them, they stated that it was an unsupported feature when initially rolled out but external drives are now a supported feature. But of course there database didn't have a solution to the problem and at that time they wouldn't even acknowledge that they were the source of the problem.

Pete

Externals are now supported? Bad CSR!

I've lost too many eSATAs JUST after NRs to buy into the coincidence thing. When something happens repeatedly it becomes empirical data and not coincidence.

Rich

#90 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

Jost to post an update, my "externally formatted" drive has continued to operate without any issues for the past month. I don't doubt those that have had external (or possibly even internal) drives "killed" by NRs or other "glitches, but based on my results, it appears that there may at least be SOME cases where the drive itself is still good, but the "glitch" simply caused bad data to be written that the HR itself simply doesn't have the tools to correct. So anyone who has a drive that appears to have failed after a data glitch or NR, I'd definitely recommend connecting it to a PC and doing a FULL erase/format before giving up on it. :)
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#91 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Jost to post an update, my "externally formatted" drive has continued to operate without any issues for the past month. I don't doubt those that have had external (or possibly even internal) drives "killed" by NRs or other "glitches, but based on my results, it appears that there may at least be SOME cases where the drive itself is still good, but the "glitch" simply caused bad data to be written that the HR itself simply doesn't have the tools to correct. So anyone who has a drive that appears to have failed after a data glitch or NR, I'd definitely recommend connecting it to a PC and doing a FULL erase/format before giving up on it. :)

Glad to hear some good news your way on this. I know you went through some frustrating time...but a month of no pain is nice to see.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...