Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv... "buy" the receiver and its actually leased?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frettfreak

frettfreak

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

So, i just want to make sure i understand this right... If i want an HD DVR, i have to pay 200 to have it.. AND monthly lease fee and give it back if i leave directv??

Am i understanding this correctly? please tell me i am wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:08 AM

Pretty much.

Sometimes they give you $99 off or the whole $199 if you have been a customer long enough.

As for me, I think that is pretty lame and I buy used owned receivers for less than $100 when I need one, and I get to keep it. It isn't the route for everyone but it works for me. I can provide more details if you are interested

#3 OFFLINE   frettfreak

frettfreak

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

that would be good. I looked on ebay, but it didnt look like there were that many.. any other places to look? Also, when buying used, is there anything i need to be careful of?

#4 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

So, i just want to make sure i understand this right... If i want an HD DVR, i have to pay 200 to have it.. AND monthly lease fee and give it back if i leave directv??

Yes, you pay close to $200, a monthly lease fee, and return it to DirecTV when you cancel your service. This is the way it has been for a couple years with DirecTV.

There are places you where can purchase a DirecTV DVR, but they are significantly more expensive.

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

I don't really get the advantage of outright buying a receiver (New anyway). What's an HD DVR go for right now if you were to actually purchase it? And if you do, I imagine it's the same with leasing-you could wind up with anything (HR20, 21, 22, 23, 24)? You still pay your $5 monthly fee (Instead of Lease fee, it's an additional receiver fee). By the time you actually go to sell the receiver, it isn't worth ANYWHERE what you paid for it (Seriously, what would you pay for an HR21 right now?).

#6 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:05 AM

Think of it as a buy down. Some automobile lease rates seem very attractive until you find out that there is a significant non refundable deposit. This also limits the number of cash strapped consumers. Those who want it but can’t afford a higher monthly expense and would probably drop the service before the contract is up, costing more money to D*. You can also look at as an initiation fee to join a elite club.

#7 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

It sounds worse than it is. Yes you will pay upfront for something you don't own, but it doesn't really matter much, since if you leave DirecTV, the thing is useless. Sure you might be able to sell it and recoup some of your cash, but if it was owned, the initial cost would be much higher. On top of that, since it is leased, if it breaks, they'll give you a replacement.

#8 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

OP - My last D* purchase was a $999 HR10-250 in 2001. I much prefer the current way of doing things.

#9 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:40 AM

As for that "lease fee", it's the same miroring fee that was charged prior to DirecTV switching to leased receivers and even if you pay the higher price upfront to buy a receiver outright, you still pay an "additional receiver fee" that is the same as the "lease fee".

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

And what happens when your owned receiver breaks? Without the Protection Plan, you're out whatever you paid for it. A leased receiver is replaced for the cost of shipping (~$20).

I can't quite figure out what the big deal is about the lease.

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

It's something to bitch about until the next system-wide crash.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:17 AM

Think of it as a deposit, or down payment. Pretty much all leases try to get some commitment cash down.

No Big Deal.

#13 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

When they (D*) first did the lease thing... I was not a fan... but after having it for the last few years... it's really a good idea.
HarryD

#14 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

It's actually a good deal for me.

(1) The receivers cost a lot less than the equivalent equipment I used to buy.

(2) Even without the protection plan, I have a lifetime warranty on all my receivers. My HR20-700 is getting long in the tooth. If it dies, for $20, DirecTV will give me a working one, or maybe even a HR24 if I talk sweet enough.

(3) You get a lot of stuff - dishes, DECA, SWiM - for either free or cheap.

(4) DirecTV will give me more new stuff in the future. Every two years, DirecTV puts me into an excellent negotiating position. I get to tell them to give me more free or cheap stuff so I will sign up again.

(5) I plan to be a subscriber for another two years, anyway.

I agree that initially the idea of a lease turned me off. I've always owned my own gear. But in the long run, this system is better for me. What's there not to like?

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:39 AM

If you don't want to pay an upfront fee you can get a no frills standard definition receiver, and pay the $5/month lease charge. If you want a top of the line HD DVR then, in my words, charge you an premium upfront charge to offset the increased cost of that HD DVR vs. the SD receiver.

Maybe one day DirecTV might have an option where there is no upfront charge but they charge you $15/month for the lease charge, which is like the cable companies do.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#16 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:41 AM

that would be good. I looked on ebay, but it didnt look like there were that many.. any other places to look? Also, when buying used, is there anything i need to be careful of?

If buying a receiver, get the Receiver ID number (RID) and call the D* Access Card department. They can tell you if that receiver is in fact an owned receiver. If it isn't an owned receiver you may not be able to activate it (the person selling a leased receiver is selling something they don't own).

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#17 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

One thing you forgot is the two year contract. But, it's really not that bad. Think of the cable co's. You don't have to pay for the box, but you sometimes have a DVR fee for each DVR (not per account), a fee per month for the boxes, a fee per month for the remote etc. Plus they give you a really bad DVR.

Generally, new customers get a deal, free DVR etc. But we have to pay the leasing cost if we change something out or expand.

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

AND monthly lease fee

They charged you a monthly fee for each receiver (outside of the first one) back in the old days when you owned the gear.

#19 OFFLINE   Directvlover

Directvlover

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

I don't mind the lease either. Currently i have 3 useless SD receivers, 1 useless SD Tivo DVR, and 1 useless HD Tivo DVR that I own. Just sitting their wasting space in my storage room. If i ever leave DTV at least my 3 current HD DVR's will go away. Plus like everyone else said...since the lease thing came about, i've swapped each of my dvr's a couple times each for free. (I'm a protection plan member)....if i'd have owned them i'd been screwed.

#20 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Plus like everyone else said...since the lease thing came about, i've swapped each of my dvr's a couple times each for free. (I'm a protection plan member)....if i'd have owned them i'd been screwed.

Doesn't the protection plan replace owned receivers as well?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...