Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv... "buy" the receiver and its actually leased?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

OK thanks for pointing this out.......

The $5 lease fee is just like a Mirror fee nothing more.

Yeah, on our bill it's either a "lease fee" or an "additional receiver fee".

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, on our bill it's either a "lease fee" or an "additional receiver fee".

Mike

If the bill says additional receiver then that's a purchased box.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#43 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

If the bill says additional receiver then that's a purchased box.

Yes, an important point that I left out. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#44 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

...I'm not saying it can't be converted, although I don't know how...

I called once before I knew all the steps I posted above and checked a RID with a front line CSR. She didn't even look it up I don't think, she just told me what I wanted to hear, that is was owned. She noted my account that I had called to check owned status on a box and noted the RID but didn't write the final conclusion.

Of course when I got it, they told me it was leased. I asked them to check the notes, I had called and check and was told it was owned. Since they couldn't find the final result they had told me, they gave me the benefit of the doubt and actually swapped it from leased to owned.

Skip ahead a little while and I get a hold of a better receiver and it is time to say goodbye to that one. I call and shut it off, and confirm that it is owned, no recover kit would be sent, and that I would not receive a non-returned equipment fee. They confirmed all of that. I put the thing on ebay, and here come the emails "D* is saying it is leased. What's the deal?" basically.

I call the ACDT. The lady is very very nice. You know how you get those friendly ones that are having a good day. :) She tells me right off it is leased. I tell her the story above and ask her to dig in my notes, and I have the badge ID of the employee and supervisor that authorized the change if needed. She very politely insists that they NEVER change it, so I ask her again to basically humor me and check the notes. We sit there silent for a minute, then she puts me on hold. Finally, like 10 minutes later, she comes back. She is no longer polite, and has a totally different tone in her voice. "Sorry for the wait, it's owned" very short and obviously not sorry. :grin: I question her more on the NR fee and recovery kit and she confirms very shortly and annoyed like that I would receive neither and that I am fine to sell it. I think she got a good chewing out or something, she was not happy.

Since then, the receiver has sold, he got a card for it, and all is well. All that to say good luck getting anything that has already been activated as a leased box ever switched over to owned. I am sure it is different for a brand new one bought as an authorized replacement for an owned box, but just keep that in mind when going the route of possibly buying one and getting a credit for it with a PP claim or something.

#45 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

I outright purchased a HR22-100 from directv a couple years ago. I only did it to avoid being in a contract with them, I hate being in a contract with any company. When I called them to buy one I was given the option of which receiver I wanted to buy, and the HR22 being the newest at the time it is the one I chose. I have to agree with you even though I bought one, there really isn't any big advantage to owning one. Plus it cost me $499 to own it.:nono2:

How did you get lucky getting to pick which one you wanted??? Last year I also wanted to upgrade to the newest dvr yet a NEW one NOT a refurbished one. I was also like you and not interested in getting trapped in a two year contract BUT they couldnt promise I would get a new one or the new model. Paying FULL price they could atleast make it where you can get a NEW one and not some refurbished one. So I reluctantly bought a leased model. Just wished now I could call DTV and pay the $300 difference to get it changed over to a owned box. Atleast I know its a new one since I got it at BB myself. This is something DTV needs to change concerning people who do wish to buy instead of lease.

#46 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:02 AM

Some people really got ripped when they bought the HR10-250. It only received about 5 or so DIRECTV HD channels, plus whatever local OTA channels they could get. A few years later when the DIRECTV HR20 and MPEG4 DIRECTV HD channels came out they couldn't use the HR10-250 for DIRECTV HD.

Some will disagree - bleeding edge technology is always in demand. not only becasue it is bleeding edge but the basic human nature of being able to brag - Lok what I got and you don't!

Gues you can say the same thing about thost that adopted the Model T over a horse drawn cart, a few years later something better, bigger and faster came out. Same with everyting

Protected By... spam firewall...And...