Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Issues with HR20's on MRV

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:42 AM

Morning everyone (adjust to your timezone)

Over the last week we have had two HR20-100's drop their connection to MRV multiple times. I'm not sure if it was related to the latest NR or of it is the box's or if it is the DECA gear. Prior to this it (MRV and the HR20's) have been very very stable with their connection.

Usually resetting the DVR (RBR) will get it going again, but this morning it seems like everything had to be re-powered to get them back.

What steps should be taken to troubleshoot? For now I have moved them to different nodes to see if it continues or will now affect the DVR's that were moved to the other locations.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

How is the DECA module connected to the HR20? There's a thread around here concerning DECA and HR20 connections.

Here it is. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177195
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

I'm not sure I have any ideas, but from the other posts/threads, you've got much more in your system.
Since you can't run any DECA testing, could you post a bit more about your system?
Maybe a layout diagram with your equipment and the rough distances between each device.
This would help me get some idea of what you have going on.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

How is the DECA module connected to the HR20? There's a thread around here concerning DECA and HR20 connections.

Here it is. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177195

I think he's beyond that now, since it has worked before.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

Name Model Distance
D1 HR20-700 10'
D2 HR20-700 10'
D3 HR22-100 10'
BR1 HR20-700 90'
BR2 HR21-200 90'
FR1 HR21-200 60'
FR2 HR20-100 60'
KR1 HR20-100 40'

The SWiM16 is about 80' from the SL dish and "kind of" central in the house. The power and WAN connection are also in the same location as the SWiM16.

I don't see anything amiss in the setup compared to all the install docs I have seen here.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Name Model Distance
D1 HR20-700 10'
D2 HR20-700 10'
D3 HR22-100 10'
BR1 HR20-700 90'
BR2 HR21-200 90'
FR1 HR21-200 60'
FR2 HR20-100 60'
KR1 HR20-100 40'

The SWiM16 is about 80' from the SL dish and "kind of" central in the house. The power and WAN connection are also in the same location as the SWiM16.

I don't see anything amiss in the setup compared to all the install docs I have seen here.

I don't see any thing too far off either. They used to want the dish a bit closer to the SWiM, but we've tested/used them at the same distance as you without issues.
I'm guessing you've also got the green labeled splitters being used too?
Are these 4-ways or 8-ways with terminations?
Boy, it would be good to see what the DECA levels & bit-rates are on this setup.
[not that it will help] Could you add which receivers above are connected to which leg/output of the SWiM-16?
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

[side note/question]
With 8 DVRs, how can you get more than 8 streams running at the same time? :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

[side note/question]
With 8 DVRs, how can you get more than 8 streams running at the same time? :confused:

LOL - you can't. Plus I want to keep the WAN available for media share and VOD.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

LOL - you can't. Plus I want to keep the WAN available for media share and VOD.

You can download VOD while streaming in/out of the DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

You can download VOD while streaming in/out of the DVR.

Right, but it takes up one of the usable connections. 15/1

#11 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

Green label splitters

2 8way.

If it matters, the two problem rec do come off the same 8way.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Green label splitters

2 8way.

If it matters, the two problem rec do come off the same 8way.

More than likely, it doesn't.
If you read all the forum/threads, there are a few that have the same problem with a receiver dropping off line, yet even looking at the DECA testing, shows nothing is wrong [with it].
This week, I had a receiver stop sharing and had to reboot it. With the "fun" earlier this week [guide problems and forced reboots], it's hard to know "the why".
Of all the receiver, the HR20-100 has seemed to have the most issues moving to MRV.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

I had one receiver in my setup that got kind of strange about a week ago. It was only showing up on two receivers both attached to one of the swm16 legs. Would drop power to its connected DECA and I noticed "floating" signal strengths on some sats (90+% one minute and 0% the next). After chasing it a while, I did a complete system power down, swm16 and all receivers. Powered up the swm16 and then each receiver individually one at a time. That cleared up my issue. Apparently the swm16 got confused at some point...anyway if you haven't tried a complete system power down, it might be worth the effort. By the way, my cable run lengths are similar to yours and so far present no problems.

Edited by 69hokie, 10 June 2010 - 09:47 AM.

Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

I had one receiver in my setup that got kind of strange about a week ago. It was only showing up on two receivers both attached to one of the swm16 legs. Would drop power to its connected DECA and I noticed "floating" signal strengths on some sats (90+% one minute and 0% the next). After chasing it a while, I did a complete system power down, swm16 and all receivers. Powered up the swm16 and then each receiver individually one at a time. That cleared up my issue. Apparently the swm16 got confused at some point...anyway if you haven't tried a complete system power down, it might be worth the effort. By the way, my cable run lengths are similar to yours and so far present no problems.

Yeah, we've seen the same with the SWMLNB/SWM8, but this [the OP] problem seems to be DECA related, so I don't know [see] how the SWiM-16 would have any affect.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

More than likely, it doesn't.
If you read all the forum/threads, there are a few that have the same problem with a receiver dropping off line, yet even looking at the DECA testing, shows nothing is wrong [with it].
This week, I had a receiver stop sharing and had to reboot it. With the "fun" earlier this week [guide problems and forced reboots], it's hard to know "the why".
Of all the receiver, the HR20-100 has seemed to have the most issues moving to MRV.

I actually had a bunch of issues on Tue. but I chocked them all up to the resets.

So far in their new locations they have not dropped out. I'll watch it over the next couple of days.

spam firewall